Long Game 47: Shadow In The South

Jondesu

This was so fun. It was my first time being an elim, and it was a total blast. It was just very frustrating to not be able to talk for awhile, though I had some fun with it in the doc. Thanks Jondesu for running an awesome game, and thanks Rath, Xino, and unbeknownst to us, mafia. I find it hilarious that we kept saving Walin, as he was the handmaiden.

Yes, this was my first elim game here.  Was quite fun.  Xin and Snip were awesome to play with.  I kind of feel sorry for Mafia out there on his? own, but hey, a win is a win!  I especially enjoyed all the RP that everyone was involved in.  That was great.  Every time we decided to target a good RPer, I felt kind of bad...  I would especially like to note Devotary, Alvron, and Bort with their RP...  I think Fifth's would have been good as well without the night 1 kill.  (sorry)

Also, Dalinar, seriously, I thought you had some weird mystical power when it came to reading me...  I didn't think too much about it since we'd already poisoned you, but I'm glad you didn't get anyone else catching what you were throwing.

One last thought - it was mildly funny that the only eavesdropper was on our team since Snip and I had a short PM going to make it seem like we weren't communicating in doc...haha.

Anyway, well played everyone and I look forward to the next game, whatever it may be!

Oh, and of course Jondesu, for putting together a fun game.  I am an eternal fan of LotR and the GM RP was quite fun as well.

Edited by Rathmaskal
Forgot one shout out

A very fun game Jon.  I enjoyed the write ups very much.
Who poisoned Bort?

Zunn the Mad might be dead but his blood brother isn't.  Beware Suomynona and Bob the Hobbit for Tugog the Rhymer is waiting in the shadows for the next LotR game.
Rath, welcome to my revenge list. EMqYlbxRo13K50x1H0zXr5OW3GmB5ywfDwHMg0UMXjlzYjq4blSgdE8-WG7YxvPpJYCSFHbEgjLI5pCvDDHiVJaBHrInPIIpp_Q92502FzTs9sVDzZVpuSdxiuXzsOFxM9dm7b9R I have a blade waiting with your name on it.

3 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

I kind of feel sorry for Mafia out there on his? own

Heh, yeah. I was tempted to claim Gondor spy because I didn’t know who anyone was (considering there were none of those, I wonder how that would’ve played out, now) xD Still a good game though, wish I’d been active from the beginning. 

Edited by Mafia

3 hours ago, Alvron said:

Who poisoned Bort?

I'd quite like to know this too. It was probably one of the more uppity elves who thought I was bringing the group down with my alcoholism.

Also, I had antidote, but had no idea I was poisoned. That makes me feel slightly cheated since I could have saved myself. Perhaps next time, if you are poisoned, but have antidote, you automatically use it on yourself at the last minute. This could cause a loss of action for the next cycle as you recover, but the way it was set up for that last game meant the antidote was just pot luck.

Maybe, but good game to all who were involved. Maybe if I hadn't been so inactive starting out we could have gotten youse. But anyway, it means I get to write a sad one of these:

Aftermath:

Itiah IV prepared to die.

He'd spent the last of his coin getting his book, a family heirloom, back to his son at home. That meant the books life would continue, but it also meant Itiah would die alone. He'd seen the others die right in front of him, killed gruesomely, and as the sword was raised high above Itiah's head, he couldn't help but remember his father, the inky successful Itiah, and how in his jealousy he had left, trying to prove himself.

The sword struck, and Itiah IV's last thoughts were of his son, who would grow up without a father figure.

Everything went black, and Itiah could feel a snap of incredible pain before fading into death's embrace.

Great Game! Thanks to Elandera and Walin for joining with me to defend Walin that one turn a while back. Otherwise the game would have been over much quicker. 

Also GG to the elim team. I'm glad I could catch one of you before I died. 

That was an interesting game, even if I didn’t make it that far. Congrats to the Elims, especially since they were all new. Doing everything in RP was interesting, but I think I’ll have to do it again- this game didn’t really count, as I only lasted one cycle. Regardless, it was enjoyable, and thank you to Jondesu for running this despite his excessive trolling manoeuvres. (So much poison...why?) 

Good game! Xino, Snipe, what prompted you guys to kill me when you did? I want to thank you for that, actually, because I otherwise would have gone inactive. I went camping in a spot I thought would have reception, but I don't.

Congrats to the elims, and good try CadCom and Walin. It was really unfortunate we both died the night we finally found the handmaiden.

22 minutes ago, Elandera said:

Good game! Xino, Snipe, what prompted you guys to kill me when you did? I want to thank you for that, actually, because I otherwise would have gone inactive. I went camping in a spot I thought would have reception, but I don't.

Congrats to the elims, and good try CadCom and Walin. It was really unfortunate we both died the night we finally found the handmaiden.

Before Rath died, he said that you and Cadcom we’re doing too much good for the village, and so you should probably be killed. We honored his wishes.

Edited by Snipexe

10 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Before Rath died, he said that you and Cadcom we’re doing too much good for the village, and so you should probably be killed. We honored his wishes.

That's why I got killed in LG 46, and at least one other game too! If only Rath would have known that I was probably going to focus on some of the inactives next. 

Thank you, Jondesu, for great writeups and a great game. I wasn't as active as I should have been, seeing as how my role was vital to the village win con. Dalinar and Fifth did well until they were killed; one thing I'm curious about is how Dalinar PM'ed just me, and knew he was going to die. Had you messaged an elim that you scanned the same cycle? No matter how it happened, I lived to tell the scans to the village. Only once Gandalf died (and he PM'ed me a couple hours before he died) did I get very invested in the game; that next cycle, with me messaging Cadmium Compounder and Elandera, was insane. I claimed to both of them, because I couldn't risk being lynched. However, the reasons for trusting each of them were different. For Cadmium, he claimed to me and said he had messaged all others who voted on me, as well as taking steps to make me a trusted figure in the village. For Elandera, she had voted extremely early on Rathmaskal, before the lynch was settled onto either Rath or me for a target. Had Elandera been an elim, that vote would be a waste of an elim life--so she was trustworthy as well.

Then, they both got promptly killed the next cycle. I got super paranoid, hoping I'd be able to catch some elims before I went down. The Gondor Spies were on my mind, and as Jondesu saw in my GM PM, I planned to strike a deal with them--protection for the Elven Handmaiden in return for, well, a chance to win before the elims.

One thing I'm confused about is how I was chosen for a scapegoat. I don't know whether or not that was what the elims intended, or whether it was even deliberate at any point, but it sure was effective at stalling the village. Good going on that; I stayed a red herring for a long time.

The Gondor Spies were a great idea, and if I ever run an SE game, I ask if I can use the concept of false roles like the Gondor Spies. It was such a huge part of my planning, and from the readings I've gathered from the elim doc, it was also a huge part of their planning as well. 

Thanks for a great game, everyone!

Using you as a red herring just kind of happened.  When Jondesu decided on tie votes being a no lynch, it kind of turned into, "Hey, let's see how long we can keep this going"...  Basically, the fact that D1 was kind of dead on voting and talking until you and Xin started getting votes allowed me to throw one of you under the microscope...I wasn't going to do it to my teammate, so you just happened there.  (Also, was able to play on your LG46 play a bit...anyone who was in the game was distrustful of Quiet Walin)

With discussion having long past ended on this game, it’s time to close it up. Jondesu is to be credited for his creative yet simple game, his wonderful writeups, and the fun twists built into the mechanics; no Gondorians, and a Mordor player without doc access, certainly came as a surprise.

Credit is due to the team of four novice Eliminators who were nevertheless successful in duping the village into a series of mislynches, or rather tied lynches. :P And, of course, thank you to all the players, without whom these games would never be possible.

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Orlok, Alvron or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!  If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar Faileas, A Joe in the Bush, or Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: