Ask Elinox Anything

elinox

In perusing some of the other threads here, I'm almost afraid to setup an 'Ask Me Anything' thread for myself. But here goes nothing!

Some background about me: I'm a 36 year old female-bodied individual with German and Scottish/Irish ancestry (pale chull Viking for the win!)

I enjoy reading fantasy books and watching sci-fi and fantasy movies (I cannot just pick one Sanderson book/series as my favorite!). I'm an avid scuba diver and my favorite dive location is Cozumel, Mexico. I'm a writer and I published my first novel 'House of Red' last May.

I enjoy playing tabletop RP games and have been doing so with friends since 2001. I've played all sorts of games from straight up D&D to Pathfinder to Fate to Star Wars to free-form storytelling games. I always play non-human characters. 

I live with my husband of 12 years and our two cats in central PA, USA. My favorite color is cerulean blue and my favorite book and movie is The 10th Kingdom. 

What you want to know about me? What have you always wondered about me? And please, no math questions!

@elinoxIf shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir? 

Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?

Favorite movie?

What is your shardic intent?

If you could  have any cosmere creature as a pet what would you get?

If you were fighting an army of super intelligent groundhogs which cosmere character would you want to have by your side?

Pepsi or Coke?

If you had to face down a pack of stick wielding sand creatures which cosmere character would you want by your side?

Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?
Who is your favorite mythological figure?
Edited by Nathrangking

On 6/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, elinox said:

my favorite book and movie is The 10th Kingdom.

On 6/29/2018 at 6:28 PM, Nathrangking said:

Favorite movie?

Dude.

On 6/29/2018 at 4:51 PM, elinox said:

I'm a writer and I published my first novel 'House of Red' last May.

Congratulations!  Any more in the works?

e^(iπ) + 1 = ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it’s been awhile, but personal tragedy has kept me busy offline.

@Nathrangking
1. If shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir?

Didn’t I say no math please? ::P
Tallew costs as much as tallew does in Azir. I'm not sure why Lift would care. 

2. Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?
Probably Mistborn, era 2, but that’s only because I’m a sucker for westerns.

3. Favorite movie?
The 10th Kingdom (technically it’s a miniseries at 15 hours long)

4. What is your shardic intent?
To boldly go where no one has gone before?

5. If you could  have any cosmere creature as a pet what would you get?
Axehounds sound the most like wolves. Unless I can have a khandra, then I want TenSoon.

6. If you were fighting an army of super intelligent groundhogs which cosmere character would you want to have by your side?
Groundhogs? Probably Shallan because she could just illusion a distraction for them without actually hurting them.

7. Pepsi or Coke?
Coke, but honestly, Diet Mt. Dew is prime.

8. If you had to face down a pack of stick wielding sand creatures which cosmere character would you want by your side?
Kelsier because he'd likely just talk them into joining our side instead. 

9. Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?
Wayne from Mistborn, era 2 – he’s weird and funny, he’s like a long lost cousin already!

10. Who is your favorite mythological figure?
As far as deities go, Hekate from Greek mythology.
I also like stories with Fenrir from Norse mythology and basically anything with wolves or werewolves.

@BitBitio the Mudkip

Band or Orchestra?

I’ve never played in either, but as for preferred sound, I like orchestras better. Violins are awesome. (Never did get why they’re not in marching bands.)

@daschaich

Are you familiar with The 10th Kingdom?

And yes, my second book is currently with my editor now.

e^(iπ) + 1 = ?

Sorry, I only speak English, Latin and Spanish (with a small smattering of phrases in Russian, Swahili, German, Italian, Welsh and French)

@elinox

Which cosmere world would you least want to go to?

What is one book/movie you really dislike?

And I see you're a Hufflepuff, so have some Harry Potter questions.

Who is your favourite Harry Potter character?

Which is your favourite Harry Potter movie and/or book?

Edited by Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper

13 hours ago, Totally_Not_A_Worldhopper said:

@elinox

Which cosmere world would you least want to go to?

What is one book/movie you really dislike?

And I see you're a Hufflepuff, so have some Harry Potter questions.

Who is your favourite Harry Potter character?

Which is your favourite Harry Potter movie and/or book?

1. Probably Roshar because everything sucks there right now (just finished Oathbringer!). Of course, things on Scadrial didn't end well either...

2. I could not stand Jurassic World. It was a re-boot of Jurassic Park, just with worse writing, a terrible plot and pathetic and annoying characters. I cannot understand why it got so much good attention! It's one of the very few movies I almost walked out of, it was so terrible!

3. Hermione Granger, followed by Newt Scamander.

4. The Prisoner of Azkaban - although I hated movie-werewolf CG-Lupin!

On 7/11/2018 at 9:17 PM, elinox said:

Are you familiar with The 10th Kingdom?

We'll ask the questions here!

Just kidding.  No, I only heard of it through your earlier post.  I just wanted to gently encourage some customization of questions to reflect what had already been written.

Sorry about the math question---power of suggestion... This is a brief English explanation.

Are the phrases you mention just things you've picked up here and there, or are you trying to learn more of those languages?  If you're interested in Welsh, I would recommend saysomethingin.com.

17 hours ago, daschaich said:

We'll ask the questions here!

Just kidding.  No, I only heard of it through your earlier post.  I just wanted to gently encourage some customization of questions to reflect what had already been written.

Sorry about the math question---power of suggestion... This is a brief English explanation.

Are the phrases you mention just things you've picked up here and there, or are you trying to learn more of those languages?  If you're interested in Welsh, I would recommend saysomethingin.com.

*gulp* Yessir! ;)

I agree with the second person in the XKCD comic: "now you're just storming with me". People always told me as a kid not to believe in imaginary things, so then it never made sense to me to use 'imaginary' numbers in math. Despite that, I still believe in imaginary things...

Phrases in the languages I know tend to be vulgar, as I suspect many Americans know. I practiced Welsh a few years ago in preparation to travel to Wales. It's a very hard language! I just always figured if I was going to go to a different country, it made sense to at least attempt the local language while there. I've been using DuoLingo and it's really helped me to learn Spanish. Spanish is the only language I've consistently practiced and gotten decent at in recent years.