[OB] what was the thing Dalinar summoned?

Zape

8 minutes ago, Harmonic Convergence said:

What if "I am Unity" was the 4th ideal for the Order of Bondsmiths?

We have confirmation that that isn't the case. 

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

In that one long rejection of Odium, how many Oaths did Dalinar swear before merging the Realms? And is "I am Unity" the fifth.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

No, that is not an Oath. He swore one ideal in that experience.

Hoidonalsium [PENDING REVIEW]

Okay. How many Oaths is he on?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The number you think. So, he should have just finished three, right? Or maybe four. I'll have to go look. It's the number that you think it is. I'm not being sneaky on you. There's nothing sneaky there. He doesn't get armor, so I can't remember where he is... He should be at three. "Life before death." "I will unite instead of divide." "I will stand up each time I fall." Yeah, so he's done three.

source

Edited by Calderis

On 6/27/2018 at 8:18 PM, Gasper said:

There is something very weird going on with most of the Neo-Radiants. Dalinar: creating perpendicularities, visions, and charging Kaladin with stormlight.  Shallan: Being able to enter the cognitive realm with out transportation. Lift: eating things to get stormlight. Renarian: Corrupted spren that can still use surges. I think that the Radiants may be in the process of changing in to a more powerful form of their orders.

Honor is dead and the Oathpact broken. Cultivation is intervening directly for the first time in centuries. The Everstorm has come. Everything is different this time around for sure!. I think with Honor dead, a lot of the limits that were on the Radiants are gone, and that they can now do things on a much higher scale than before.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:41 AM, Govir said:

Are we sure she can't enter physically? It makes sense, because that seems to be the domain of the Transportation surge. But there's the scene in tWoK when Shallan is trying to prove to Jasnah that Shallan can Soulcast without a Soulcaster and Jasnah has to save her because she went too fully into Shadesmar and without enough Stormlight. My point being, maybe Soulcasters can get themselves *into* Shadesmar but can't get out on their own.

According to the related Epigraph, it seems like Elsecallers (with both Soulcasting and Transportation) were the main points of contact to Shadesmar and the Spren, but that Lightweavers (sharing Soulcasting) and Willshapers (sharing Transportation) *could* be used.

What Calderis said.  Also, in the same scene, when Shallan opens her eyes, Jasnah is still sitting there, and opens her eyes a few moments later. Neither of them went there physically, just with their minds. We also have a WoB on the matter:

Bromo_Sapien

When somebody travels into the cognitive realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Um, well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where you’re body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.

Bromo_Sapien

So their physical self would also be in the cognitive realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bromo_Sapien

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Which is weird.

Bromo_Sapien

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

But yes, um...

Bromo_Sapien

As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, right. Or when Shallan is soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. Like… Um… It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…

Bromo_Sapien

And when they leave the cognitive realm their physical self just leaves the cognitive realm the same...

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, mhm, yep.

Bromo_Sapien

Perfect.

Brandon Sanderson

Basically you’re transferring into investiture and popping out of investiture, so...

source

• Chaos locked this topic