Question on discussion of unpublished material

Weltall

I was wondering if I could get some clarity on what's considered acceptable for discussing the material from the Liar of Partinel excerpts that were available for a time but seem to have been taken down. Specifically, the background worldbuilding related to fainlife and what was described about it. I know it's noncanonical and I'd be using the appropriate caveats but I wanted to know if it's okay to discuss any specifics and if so, whether it would be acceptable in a Cosmere Discussion topic or would need to go in the Unpublished Works board.

Thanks.

The excerpts were not actively taken down; due to a Dragonsteel server migration, the links are temporarily not functioning. Dragonsteel is still working on getting those links repaired, so the chapters will become publically available again. There's just no firm ETA of when that will be.

As such, the policy on unpublished works from the rules topic is still applicable:

Brandon has several unpublished works that some people have read. However, for a variety of reasons, we require that you not talk about them. Unpublished works aren’t canon, so discussing them spread false information. But more importantly, they aren’t publicly available to everyone. You could spoil a key plot point to someone who haven’t read it. Simply put, it isn’t really good for the community when some people has information that others don’t. It’s a recipe for conflict.

At some point there may be special, hidden forums where members can discuss unpublished works, but at this time we do not have such a feature ready, so administrators will edit posts that talk about these unpublished works.

For your reference, unpublished works include:

• Dragonsteel
  • Liar of Partinel
  • White Sand
  • Aether of Night

However, there’s one caveat: if, say, sample chapters for an unpublished were posted, as is the case for Liar of Partinel, then everyone is able to read them, so that means we can discuss it. Still, best keep that stuff in the General Theories forum. A list of publicly available sample chapters can be found here.

The wording is a little out of date, since we do now have the White Sand Prose and Aether of Night subforums. And General Theories has since become Cosmere Discussion. But the Liar chapters were not intentionally restricted, and it would be impractical to go back through all the forum history to remove the quotes and references, so those chapters are still fair game for Cosmere Discussion. If you're starting a new topic that focuses on fainlife, you may want to put it in the Unpublished Works forum anyways.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

I was wondering if I could get some clarity on what's considered acceptable for discussing the material from the Liar of Partinel excerpts that were available for a time but seem to have been taken down. Specifically, the background worldbuilding related to fainlife and what was described about it. I know it's noncanonical and I'd be using the appropriate caveats but I wanted to know if it's okay to discuss any specifics and if so, whether it would be acceptable in a Cosmere Discussion topic or would need to go in the Unpublished Works board.

Thanks.

I'm no mod, but I think you can just discuss it as much as you want in the Unpublished Works forum.

@Pagerunner @Windrunner For clarification 

58 minutes ago, Weltall said:

@Pagerunner Thanks for the info on the Liar situation and for clearing things up for me. I was mainly thinking of a current topic in Cosmere Discussion on the Shattering but thought it would be good to be sure for future reference as well.

You can post such Liar information there. It has happened plenty of times before.