Taln's Identity

Argent

Re-reading the epilogue of WoK, in light of this thread, I find it quite interesting that Wit's story about what people value most is whoever creates something and presents it to the world first.  Combine that with what he says in the Gibletish chapter (tearing a man down apart and rebuilding him bit by bloody fleshy bit). 

I guess my real question is:

Is the trigger for the Desolation Taln leaving Damnation?  Or him arriving on Roshar?

Or is the Desolation the trigger for Taln leaving Damnation?

Q: Is a Desolation caused when a Herald breaks under torture?

A: This person is asking the right kinds of questions.

Q: What caused a Desolation to end? Was it just the defeat of Odium's forces? Because the Desolations start when the Heralds break under torture.

A: Because the Heralds can no longer be in existence. There is a certain period of time that they can be there, and after that, if they're there, they will start a new one. So the Heralds do need to leave for a Desolation to end.

Q: Oh. So they've got a time limit.

A: They do. Otherwise the Desolation will start again. What they discovered is not all of them have to. As long as one remains, the Desolation will not start again.

Q: So, by the nine leaving, did that actually break the Oathpact for them? Did it change the cycle of Desolations?

A: They have not completely broken the Oathpact, despite what they may think.

I personally believe that a desolation occurs, without a doubt, due to a herald breaking under torture… I consider the following quote to be irrefutable proof.

"Obvious they are fools The Desolation needs no usher IT can and will sit where it wishes and the signs of obvious that the spren anticipate it doing so soon The Ancient of stones must finally begin to crack It is a wonder that upon his will rested the prosperity and peace of a world for over four millennia" -From the Diagram, Book of the 2nd ceiling rotation: Pattern 1 (page 998)

Taln wasn't the one to back and get his Honorblade because he was already in Damnation with his Blade. He was killed during the Desolation. I suspect that the Herald that retrieved their Blade was Nalan.

I don't really like the theory that the madman in WoR isn't Taln unless it's another Herald, possibly Jezrien with some Yolish Lightweaving that makes him look like Taln? I just don't see how else you explain the lightning reflexes.

EDIT: Added note about Nalan.

Just to add, not sure if this has been covered… Allomancy could easily provide lightning-fast reflexes. Atium, bendalloy, electrum, heck even tin and pewter together could feasibly do it. It is less likely that he would actually be burning the metals at that moment, but it's possible.

• Chaos locked this topic