SzethIsBadAsHell

[OB] Stormlight philosophy discussion

3 posts in this topic

I have been wanting to have this discussion for sometime. It’s a sensitive subject , but I think it’s a worthy discussion. What do u think Brandon is trying to convey ? I see two possibilities ? A legacy option and a philosophical option .

legacy option : light eyes are the descendants of the KR . Since the KR were the leaders during the desolation this makes sense . U must keep in mind there are eye colors we don’t have IRL : light yellow, light orange , light green. Horn eaters have no lighteyes so we can infer they had no KR . I have heard rumors that Horneaters have listener blood . If this is true then that’s probably why they have no KR. And maybe explains why they can eat shells with their teeth and see Spren. Anyways this doesn’t stop them for trying to get a shardblade . Which I will go into my next point .

Philosophical option: Roshar is a fantasy world . The races in Roshar don’t match up. With the Races we have IRL. So every culture seems to have ignorant predjudices . IRL we have racial predjudice , and religious predjudice . Even caste systems like in Japan. So I think Brandon wanted to create a unique predjudice , one that he could use in his narrative to oppress people, and not offend anyone . I think racism is pure ignorance. I think Brandon wanted us to look at it and go well that’s a stupid reason to think u are better than somebody . The Horneaters come down and fight trying to get. A shardblade . I think  it’s because they want to have a path to becoming a light eyes , even if they won’t admit their true motives.

so what do u guys think about light eyes and Darkeyes ? What viewpoint do you have ? What was Brandon trying to convey. To us ?

Questioner

I almost have a little bit of trouble understanding the difference between the Lighteyed and the darker...How did you come up with it?

Brandon Sanderson

I wanted to have some kind of racism in the books that was removed from the racism we have in our world, so I could talk about it in a more isolated way related to the books; and so, having it based on eye color made sense because the Voidbringers have these glowing red eyes and the Heralds have these bright eyes. So, this idea of eye color being related to your level of nobility, which is not true, but it entered the culture and became the form of racism and prejudice that they use.

source