4thewords

Majestic Fox

Is anyone using this? I know Mary Robinette Kowal has praised it highly on the podcast. 

I'm finding it quite effective. Definitely writing more than I would otherwise. I feel like it makes writing more inviting.

Feel free to add me as a friend on there. Same name. My referal code for anyone that feels like giving it a shot: OLWVZ73325

19 hours ago, Zay Wolfe said:

This looks really cool, but with my spotty internet connection I'm sure I'd only get to experience a half functional version of what it's supposed to be like. The site says there are editing and organizational tools. Are they pretty good? 

I've only used the basic features so couldn't really say. Something like Scrivener is better for organising and editing I think. I'm using 4thewords for first-drafting at the moment. Its strength is that it keeps you writing. 

Even though I haven't been on here lately, @Jorville told me about 4TheWords, and I rather like it.

I tend to agonize over EVERY detail, 4TheWords forces me to type quickly, and express myself in a manner of time that will actually get something done :lol:. I don't have time to make a Timeline, map, background story, history...I have to just roll with the punches.

Also, might be handy for children learning to write for the first time like my kiddos. 

It's $4 a month after the demo.

Ha, so I tried this just now, so I could reply to this thread. It's kinda fun and I see how it could be immersive. The demo drew me in and I started with a title, but lost my test challenge by spending too much time thinking about what this was, and how it would go. I signed up, but my test words were gone!! The annoyed me and I had to get them down again before I lost them, and it was moving towards being an interesting story. The outturn was that I won 3 easy challenges and passed wrote 464 words, so passing a daily streak milestone, apparently.

So I guess it was effective in that it made me write, but my method, I think, would rail against this, as I tend to take minutes off to mull, do a little side research, check a word, and come back. It does take me a while to get word count up, so I' not sure if this would be the thing for we. We'll see. I dare say I will now get an email every day reminding me to go back. Jury's out so far.

:) 

I tend to agonize over EVERY detail, 4TheWords forces me to type quickly, and express myself in a manner of time that will actually get something done.

Me too. That's why Im giving it a proper try for one month.

@Robinski do you what your average writing speed is for fiction? How long would it take you to write 1000 words?

6 minutes ago, Majestic Fox said:

Me too. That's why Im giving it a proper try for one month.

@Robinski do you what your average writing speed is for fiction? How long would it take you to write 1000 words?

I used to be more focused, and be able to sit in a chair and just go. So, I would say I could comfortably do 1,000 words in half an hour on average.

That's no longer my norm, I'm afraid. I'm probably more like double that, BUT, I can easily lapse if I'm looking stuff up, and getting a wee bit sidetracked into taking 3 hours to write 1,000 words. But I would never sit and write for 3 hours anymore, even during Nanowrimo.

I'd love to get that focus back, and I think I might one day, but life doesn't give me 3 hours at a time to write. Just does happen at the moment. I'll get back there though, darn it :) 

Edited by Robinski