SuperNightblood

Jakkobz

Question

Someone made a Nightblood-like sword with hemalurgically charged-metal, for example, charged by coinshoter powers. What will happen?

It will request a giant amount of energy, I know, because spike is already have Investiture in it.

8 answers to this question

That's (basically) a RAFO. 

(3rd question there).

Presumably it would depend quite a bit on the command though.  For example,  if it had a "Nightblood-esque" command, I assume it would be trying to use its spiked power as much as possible to destroy evil.  But the mechanics of that would be sketchy.  Would it need raw investiture? Could it burn metal it touches?

Interesting to think about, impossible to answer fully right now I'd say.

4 hours ago, jefftucker0525 said:

Also, can you even put Breathe into a hemalurgic spike? It's already Invested, so I wouldn't think you could, or atleast it would be difficult. 

I feel like if the person who was spikes could give awaken the spike because they would have the same identity

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I feel like if the person who was spikes could give awaken the spike because they would have the same identity

It's not the Identity, though. It's that they're different types of investiture, and trying to add investiture to an already invested object is very very very hard.

Also, they don't know how to spike someone without killing them.

clyguy

Could you Awaken a Hemalurgic spike and put it in somebody, and would that have crazy effects?

Brandon Sanderson

That would have crazy effects. And it would be very hard.

source

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Alright, thanks. Last question for me tonight - so, when a Hemalurgic spike steals something, then it's storing Investiture in it, yeah? So could you - could you do something with that Investiture? Like... say I'm on Nalthis, and just theoretically, I use a Hemalurgic spike to steal a lot of Breath - can I use that Investiture to Awaken something? Could I Awaken the spike?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

That... you'd need a lot of Investiture to Awaken a spike.

Lhyonnaes (paraphrased)

Because it's already charged up with something else?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yeah.

source

1 hour ago, RShara said:

It's not the Identity, though. It's that they're different types of investiture, and trying to add investiture to an already invested object is very very very hard.

Also, they don't know how to spike someone without killing them.

But a windeunner can use lashings on his shardplate, so I'm assuming that as long as you were the one spiked, so the spike had your identity, and it's your breath, you should be able awaken the spike because they share the same identity.

23 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

But a windeunner can use lashings on his shardplate, so I'm assuming that as long as you were the one spiked, so the spike had your identity, and it's your breath, you should be able awaken the spike because they share the same identity.

The spoke wouldn't contain your identity though. It would contain that identity of the person it killed to become charged. 

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

We know that a Windrunner can Lash themselves when they are in *their* living Shardplate. We don't know what the Shardplate is made out of when it's alive, but it's fueled with stormlight and is essentially part of the Windrunner. So it's the same magic system, and the same Radiant. We've never seen a Windrunner Lash just their Shardplate. Because the Windrunner can make it appear and disappear at will, so they have no reason to need to.

The spike would first: Kill the person that it was taken from. Second, use Ruin's magic system to steal that part of their spirit web. Third, would resist the Awakening, since you'd be trying to use Endowment's magic on Ruin's magic.