Kandra kids!

Darkwalker

Brandon's gone back and forth on whether a kandra and a human could have a baby and if so, how that would work (largely it seems because he's playing around with ideas involving DNA testing) and hasn't canonized that, but for that to be possible you'd need the kandra to imitate the relevant set of human reproductive organs. Since kandra are not a naturally reproducing species (all new ones were 'made' by giving blessings to mistwraiths which do reproduce... somehow) for a pair of them to reproduce they'd probably have to do the same thing and replicate human organs. The end result might be a human child with some really weird sDNA or it might not be possible at all.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Can a kandra have a human kid, if they're in a--

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...So, their DNA would-- I've answered this both ways, I think, on the internet, as I go back on forth on whether I want DNA testing to be able to catch a kandra or not. I've erred on the side of, their DNA isn't human, and so they would not be compatible, but I've gone the other direction some of the time when people have asked this question. So, I guess the answer is, I have not fully decided for myself yet.

source

2 hours ago, Kaj said:

It is worth considering, I think. You see, we do know that mistwraiths can reproduce. In the process of becoming a kandra do they lose their fertility? 

Well, they may not lose their ability to make more physical beings like themselves, but their offspring would not be kandra but ordinary mistwraiths - they've made it clear that they need two hemalurgic "Blessings" each to awaken a mistwraith into a kandra.

MeLaan mentions at one point that there are no new kandra for this reason - they are forbidden from creating new Blessings spikes (it would require killing people to make them), and it's against their culture (at a minimum) to reuse spikes from a dead kandra to grant sentience to a new one. Which implies that if they DID have new Blessings, they COULD make a long-delayed Twelfth Generation, presumably by spawning new mistwraiths themselves (the "wild" ones having all burned away like nearly everything living in the Final Empire that was caught on the surface of the world during the Catacendre).

Edited by robardin

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 6:39 PM, animalia said:

Well IF they CAN have half-human kids you KNOW who wants to be the first to volunteer to help make them. Then again he’d probably be to afraid of the responsiblity.

Funny that that actually makes sense. 

Just now, Wander89 said:

I'm both curious and sickened <_<:lol:

It would definitely be a different experience. They might not even try doing it in a way we could recognize.

Ugh...this conversation is getting a little strange.

12 minutes ago, Silva said:

It would definitely be a different experience. They might not even try doing it in a way we could recognize.

Ugh...this conversation is getting a little strange.

Hahaha let's not go there at all, however it will be all I'm thinking about whilst reading Mistborn now.

I think that a full kandra child would work. Sazed turned the Koloss into a breeding race, why not the Kandra? A Kandra child may not have the same abilities as an original because they lack the blessings, but I think that they would have the shape shifting abilities and retain sentience. What I do not want to see is a half Wayne, half Melaan child (Shudder), that would be frightening.

Edited by Gasper
forgot to add something.

53 minutes ago, Gasper said:

I think that a full kandra child would work. Sazed turned the Koloss into a breeding race, why not the Kandra? A Kandra child may not have the same abilities as an original because they lack the blessings, but I think that they would have the shape shifting abilities and retain sentience. What I do not want to see is a half Wayne, half Melaan child (Shudder), that would be frightening.

Kandra pairing would produce a mistwraith, which would still require spikes. 

Questioner

This became a question, I thought this had been answered, but kandra can't produce kandra children.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, yes they can. You get them some spikes.

Questioner

Can the kandra produce human children with consumed parts?

Brandon Sanderson

You know, I saw a big thread about this on Reddit and chose not to participate, despite being asked to.

Questioner

I thought she said that you did, so…

Brandon Sanderson

I gave vague and unuseful answers, and so I'm going to give the same to you. RAFO.

source

• Chaos locked this topic