Just wondering how many of you guys are mormon

Adolin Kholin

4 hours ago, Apollyon said:

I am!

Yes! Let's sign a petition for this! Everyone quote your name into here. (Yes, I know this probably won't work, it's mostly just a joke.)

Petition to get Brandon Sanderson to do a Face-to-Face Q&A

1. Apollyon

You should make a thread for this

1 hour ago, Sami said:

You should make a thread for this

I probably should before I derail this thread too much. The question is though, how many signatures would we need to be acknowledged by Brandon?

6 hours ago, Apollyon said:

I probably should before I derail this thread too much. The question is though, how many signatures would we need to be acknowledged by Brandon?

Find out ;) 

Edited by Sami

On 6/22/2018 at 5:03 PM, Aurora the Rioter said:

I am!

Yes! Let's sign a petition for this! Everyone quote your name into here. (Yes, I know this probably won't work, it's mostly just a joke.)

1. Apollyon
  2. The Forgetful Archivest
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize

35 minutes ago, Mraize said:
I am!

1. Apollyon
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize
  5. Snipexe

On 6/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, Mraize said:
  On 6/22/2018 at 6:03 PM, Aurora the Rioter said:
I am!

1. Apollyon
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize
  5. Snipexe
  6. Adolin Kholin

So why is the percentage so unusually high on the Shard?  

I know Brandon attended and teaches at BYU, so I assume there's a connection there.  Is he Mormon himself?  Is he...like a Mormon celebrity?

On 6/30/2018 at 1:47 PM, Adolin Kholin said:
  On 6/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, Mraize said:
  On 6/22/2018 at 6:03 PM, Aurora the Rioter said:
I am!

1. Apollyon
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize
  5. Snipexe
  6. Adolin Kholin
  7. BitBitio the Mudkip

Yes please!

18 minutes ago, Zellyia said:

I know Brandon attended and teaches at BYU, so I assume there's a connection there.  Is he Mormon himself?  Is he...like a Mormon celebrity?

Yes, Brandon is Mormon. Though he is not a Mormon celebrity, per say, he is popular.

6 hours ago, Zellyia said:

He is a Mormon celebrity. As such, many mormon parents and youth feel he is a "safe bet" for reading books that don't break guidelines. Orson Scott Card was viewed much the same way when I was growing up. Main difference is that Card is a terrible writer and awful human being. 

Another interesting tidbit? There are about as many atheists here as there are Mormons ;)

7 hours ago, Zellyia said:

Another part of it is that Sanderson tends to write cleaner things, which maps more closely to what Mormons tend to read.

1 hour ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

Main difference is that Card is a terrible writer and awful human being. 

You don’t have to like his books, that’s your opinion.  Personally, I like many of his books, even if Sandeson is better. 

However, books aside, I can promise you that he is a good person, even if he is not the most friendly.  The media protrays him in a very negative light.  I know him and I don’t feel that the media treats him fairly.  I’m not trying to argue with you; I’m just trying to defend his character.

12 hours ago, Aurora the Rioter said:

However, books aside, I can promise you that he is a good person, even if he is not the most friendly.  The media protrays him in a very negative light.  I know him and I don’t feel that the media treats him fairly.  I’m not trying to argue with you; I’m just trying to defend his character.

My opinions of him are based almost entirely on his own writing in lots and lots of articles. So between a random internet stranger claiming to know him and Mr. Ed himself, I'll take the evidence from the horse's mouth. 

14 hours ago, Aurora the Rioter said:

I know him and I don’t feel that the media treats him fairly.  I’m not trying to argue with you; I’m just trying to defend his character.

I have no opinion on the matter you two are discussing, but I'd like to point out that Aurora is a pretty good source. After all, she was in his class.

Thanks @Archer and @BitBitio the Mudkip for trusting me.  However, I do have to say that Card has said some very controversial things so I get why people don’t like him.  I don’t like arguing, so I don’t want to get into those.  He is very truthful and says exactly what he thinks, so he can come across as a jerk.  Although in my two classes with him, he was never a jerk to any of us.  I also don’t think he is as much of a jerk as he may seem online.  I think my problem is that @TheOrlionThatComesBefore called him an awful human.  He may be a jerk, but he is not awful.  He hasn’t done anything to deserve that title.  I’ll say it again @TheOrlionThatComesBefore you can have your opinion.  I can’t change that, but I feel a duty to try to defend a man I respect.

Whoooooaaaa lets not. This is exactly why chaos doesn’t like discussing religion on here. Yes, he’s said some not great things, and yes, he occasionally writes really good books (but most of them become distinctly meh). But calling people monsters and generally getting antagonistic is just going to get y’all yelled at. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:44 AM, BitBitio the Mudkip said:

1. Apollyon
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize
  5. Snipexe
  6. Adolin Kholin
  7. BitBitio the Mudkip
  8. Rebecca

I’m also Mormon, and would love this.

13 hours ago, Rebecca said:

1. Apollyon
  3. Aurora the Rioter
  4. Mraize
  5. Snipexe
  6. Adolin Kholin
  7. BitBitio the Mudkip
  8. Rebecca
  9. Life&Death

I support this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3.07.2018 at 10:01 PM, Steeldancer said:

Whoooooaaaa lets not. This is exactly why chaos doesn’t like discussing religion on here. Yes, he’s said some not great things, and yes, he occasionally writes really good books (but most of them become distinctly meh). But calling people monsters and generally getting antagonistic is just going to get y’all yelled at. 

f7FdEdG.jpg