We have confirmation that Marsh is Ironeyes:

Questioner

Is Marsh happy?

Brandon Sanderson

Marsh is Marsh's version of happy.

Questioner

I'm just worried about him.

Brandon Sanderson

...He has never been a happy person. But he's in a better place now than he's been in other times of his life.

There's a part of Marsh that really likes skulking around and being an incarnation of Death in peoples' minds. He's not really one, but you know what I mean? There's a part of him, the part that's related to his brother, that really digs that, even if he would never admit it.

source

Questioner

At the end of “Alloy of Law” Marsh tells Marasi he is giving the diary to Wax because “.. he does my brother's work”. At this time it was a reminder of Kelsier, but with Secret History and the third book out why does Marsh think we need someone to do his brother's work? Isn't Kelsier doing that himself?

Brandon Sanderson

Well. (laughs) Marsh is of multiple minds on what's happening with Kelsier at this time. When he's referencing his brother's work, he's specifically tells Marasi speaking to the lore of the Survivor. Like he's specifically talking to somebody, and he does believe this. He may not think that Kelsier is doing Kelsier's work anymore. But that depends on... You will see interaction between Marsh and Kelsier in the future.

source

Questioner

Does Marsh know about Kelsier's existence?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Ok. And are Marsh and him having like happy fun times together?

Brandon Sanderson

Kelsier and Marsh did not often have happy fun times. You can imagine if you want but, yeah.

source

Adding to @Calderis we have this BoM spoiler WoB that makes it clear they're different people.

Spoiler

Questioner

The Sovereign...

Brandon Sanderson

Mhm.

Questioner

...has a <nail> in his eye. Which eye is *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

I am going to RAFO that one. Just in case.

Questioner

Has Bloody Tan seen the Sovereign?

Brandon Sanderson

*laughs* So... here's the thing-- and this is why I'm RAFO-ing these, it's not because of what you think. I'm RAFO-ing these because these the nature of the Sovereign, and who they call the Sovereign, and these sorts of things is stuff that I want to potentially leave for Secret History 2-- or for [Secret History3, if I write more Secret Histories. So the answers are probably simple, right? And they're not ones that are gonna be mind blowing. But I don't want to lock myself down until I've written those, which is why I'm RAFO-ing most of the questions dealing with this, okay?

*a moment later Brandon overhears continued conversation about Secret History*

So, oh, you were asking it that specific way to not give spoilers to someone here? Yeah, I see what you're doing. I see-- I thought you were trying to wiggle out of me something that you weren't trying to wiggle out of me.

Questioner

Not everyone here has read...

Brandon Sanderson

I get it, I get it. I see what's going on.

Questioner

We're not trying to be that *inaudible*

Brandon Sanderson

Okay, okay. I was misinterpreting the intent of those questions a little bit. Yes, being very tricky. Okay. 

*pauses to sign a book*

So the answer of which spike is it? I can answer that one? *interruption* Or really I can tell you--it's in my notes, and I don't have them, but it's not particularly relevant--it's the opposite side of the one where Death's skull was crushed. 

Questioner

Oh, yes. Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

They would look like mirror images if you saw them.

source

Kinda liked how Kelsier and Marsh parallel contrast in how they try to help people. Kelsier always places himself in the middle of the spotlight. Meanwhile Marsh is content as the background player.

Even before they acted like that (Marsh infiltrating the ministry and Kelsier positioning himself as a savior figure). It's even more interesting on how they both helped Vin at the same instance at HoA when she ascended. Kelsier crashed himself against Ruin, giving up his power and telling Vin the first thing he said to Vin on her training with him(very flashy) meanwhile simply pulled her hemalurgic spike(so lowkey). That happened at the same time. 

Now Kelsier Poses as Sovereign with a railroad spike in his eye and well Marsh also as well but he acts more secretly while Kelsier basically ruled a country. Marsh is the lowkey dude and Kelsier is the flashy dude.  

The contrasts and parallels. I wonder if this is intentional by Sanderson or just a really cool thing that lined up

Edited by goody153

Obviously Marsh is Death/Ironeyes based off of the quotes above. I don't think that's what OP was actually talking about though. 

Not all the time though, Kel only influences him to do his whims.

What OP is asking is whether at times Kelsier is possessing Marsh in the same way that Ruin used to do. I'm pretty confident the answer to that is ALSO no, but I wanted to make sure his question was understood.

13 hours ago, Juanaton said:

Obviously Marsh is Death/Ironeyes based off of the quotes above. I don't think that's what OP was actually talking about though. 

What OP is asking is whether at times Kelsier is possessing Marsh in the same way that Ruin used to do. I'm pretty confident the answer to that is ALSO no, but I wanted to make sure his question was understood.

Oh interesting but i'd agree to the NO as well. Apart from the current Ruin can easily intervene with this and Marsh being the most Ruin-connected entity which makes him one thought away from total control(he's done this in era 1).

I suspect that it's going to become apparently clear even to the Basin people who the Sovereign was, if they actually traveled to the South and had a few candid conversations with the people who knew of the Sovereign, presumably the Southern ruling elite. They might even know where the Sovereign went. I mean, Kelsier really can't hide his identity all that well. 

• Chaos locked this topic