Lord Ruler question

Kramerfarve

Hey might be a strange question, but if someone like the Lord Ruler receives no resonances from his full born status, because he has all of the abilities, if he was a savant in every allomantic metal, would he receive any negative effects, or are those also negated like resonances are?

I've wondered how the interactions would look between opposing savantisms.

I'm imagining a pewter and tin savant.  The extreme senses would likely become extremely dulled by the pewter savantism (if I'm remembering correctly, Spook was pretty explicit about how much easier the savantism was to deal with when he could burn pewter?).  But then at that point you're basically a pewter savant without the painlessness (which might be awesome?).

Someone with a better understanding of Allomancy/Cosmere might be able to correct me or support that a bit better.  Given the push-pull nature of metals though, I could see some very strange effects of savantism in a push/pull set.

If I remember correctly, the drawback of savantism for tin is that Spook was practically numb and blind when he wasn't burning it? And pewter seemed like it was addictive, the extra boost of endurance and strength. So with the drawback, it might be that you'd be unusually weak and get tired faster. We haven't really seen enough of savantism's drawbacks to really know how they would interact and whether they would cancel each other out, but I don't think that most of them would. I think most of them would add up to extra misery.

Resonances are because of powers interacting. Too many powers and there're too many interactions to form a Resonance, like if you drop two pebbles into a bowl of water, you can see them adding up to higher waves, but if you drop in 5, you're just going to get a jumble.

Savantism actually is stretching your spiritweb so far that it warps your physical self. So I'm positive you can be a savant of multiple types of metals (or powers) and have all of the drawbacks thereof.

I'll bet TLR was a savant of his atium-youth-metal, though.

Yeah the tin drawback is becoming much less sensitive when not burning/flaring.

Spook approached the flames. His breathing grew forced, and his skin grew hot. The fire was bright—consuming. He dashed right for it. Then, at the moment when the pain became too great, he extinguished his tin.

And became numb.

It happened just as it had before, when he had been trapped in the building without any metals. Flaring tin for so long had expanded his senses, but now that he wasn't burning it at all, those same senses became dull. His entire body grew deadened, lacking feeling or sensation.

Edited by RShara

The process of Savantism should remain since it's caused by a slightly different interaction than the resonances are. The latter is two powers overlapping within you and creating a new effect while the former is one power merging with your soul to cause the effects we see. Brandon has mentioned that Savantism can't be healed by things like F-Gold and Regrowth because as far as the magic is concerned, there's nothing wrong with you, even if the Savantism does really freaky things you'd rather not have to deal with.

Anyhow, we know very little about most effects of reaching Savant-level with the allomantic powers but it's likely that Rashek ended up with a lot of downsides that could only be partially compensated for by the other powers and/or his feruchemy.

I wonder what a Atium and Gold savant would even be like. Or how pewter/tin savantism work together ?(probably complementary considering Tin savant is devoid of sensations and Pewter savantism eventually removes the ability to feel) 

Does Rashek have steelsight as well or does he turn it on/off ?

5 hours ago, goody153 said:

I wonder what a Atium and Gold savant would even be like. Or how pewter/tin savantism work together ?(probably complementary considering Tin savant is devoid of sensations and Pewter savantism eventually removes the ability to feel) 

Does Rashek have steelsight as well or does he turn it on/off ?

According to Coppermind:

If someone were able to burn the amount of Lerasium needed to become a savant with the metal, they would ascend and become the holder of Preservation, similar to what happens when one consumes the mists.[7] This is due to the nature of the metal as the condensed power of Preservation.

And since Atium is the same thing but for Ruin. I think the same thing would happen. However, maybe this is only the case because Leras was dying. As for the steel sight, I doubt the Lord Ruler had because I think only people who had spikes smashed through their eyes got it.

I think that's just exclusive to Lerasium since basically the function of Lerasium turns you into a mistborn(connect you to preservation more) so it makes but Atium does different things. 

Brandon Sanderson

By the way, you probably remember form book one the way that Inquisitors see. They have such a subtle touch with Steel and Iron, and their lines, that they can see via the trace metals in everyone's bodies and in the objects around them.

The thing is, any Allomancer with access to iron or steel could learn to do this. Some have figured it out, in the past, but in current times, nobody–at least, nobody the heroes know–is aware of this. Except, of course, for Marsh.

And he chose not to share it.

source

Uhm steelsight can be learned by anybody not just inquisitors

Edited by goody153

• Chaos locked this topic