Ok, so I have started reading Elantris, which is fascinating, as I expected it to be. Previously, I had read Mistborn Secret History and Kelsier meets some Elantrians or Aonic people? My question is, when Kelsier meets these people, have the events in Elantris already taken place? Or is this before? I looked it up and I didn't see exactly when Secret history takes place in relation to Elantris. (I hope I didn't give any spoilers, I don't quite know how to do things here, like quotes and such, much apologies!) Thanks guys!!

14 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

@Calderis Thanks so much! I thought that was the timeline, but I didn't remember seeing Secret History and was looking for that instead of Mistborn. :D

The events of Elantris took place before Mistborn. I think the different is hundreds of years(sel time), but less than 1000. Brandon is hesitant to give any number out, since they're not all canon and he may have to change them. But I think the current rough estimate is 1000 years between white sands and SA, take that with a grain of salt.

Anyways, Elantris is before Mistborn, but it is not confirmed that the IRE were born after or before the events of Elantris. The function of Elantris(the city) on the Elantrians isn't fully known, so those in the cognitive realm may have escaped the consequences of Elantris failing. 

@RShara wow thanks so much! That is really useful!! 

@Wandering Investor I got the impression in Secret History, that the Elantrians in the Cognitive Realm were there developing that piece of technology to assume the power of a fallen shard for a reasonably long time. I assumed they weren't there at the time Elantris fell. But I'm probably wrong, I have no facts, just a hunch.

This is the best WoB about them :D I think it implies that they are pre-Reod Elantrians.

mail-mi

Are the Ire old enough to have gone through the Reod?

Brandon Sanderson

The Ire are very, very, very, very old.

Footnote: Brandon adds "very old" again a few moments later.
source

It's not likely to be nearly that long. Brandon has said that we have a timeline of about a thousand years worth of events we could place (presumbly meaning all the books, not counting the Aharietiam portion of Way of Kings because that's considerably older) which would count Elantris but probably not include White Sand as the graphic novel hadn't begun when he told us that.

Relatedly, while White Sand is the oldest published work, it's probably not that much older than Elantris since Brandon has flip-flopped on which of the two happened first, before finally canonizing that it's the former.

tisces

Do you keep a timeline for your Cosmere books? I'm assuming the events from books such as Elantris and Warbreaker happen before the Stormlight Archives but I'm curious about how much time has passed whether it is months/years/centuries.

Brandon Sanderson

Centuries have passed. I think we're closer to a thousand years covering events you could place on the line, with closer to ten thousand years since inciting incidents.

source

Zas

Elantris. Where does it fit in the timeline in reference to Hero of Ages? Since that's what most other things are referenced to.

Brandon Sanderson

Right. Elantris is far earlier.

Zas

Like thousands? Or like hundreds?

Brandon Sanderson

It's quite... It's not thousands.

source

PS @whattheHoid The quote and spoiler tags are at the top of the editing window. The quotation marks will create a quote tag and the one that looks like an eye creates a spoiler tag. Relatedly, to get the really nicely formatted WoB quotes from Arcanum, right-click on the 'Copy' button next to the quote there, then paste it into a quote tag over here. And now you know. xD

Edited by Weltall

@Weltall Many thanks! 

Sidenote, do we know when the Cosmere first came into existence? Like was there a big bang and out of that explosion came the shards? Or were the shards already in existence? Or does Brandon not even know. Is this too deep a question?

Edited by whattheHoid

Those are very good questions and the answer is: We don't know. Brandon has mentioned that it's widely assumed in-universe that Adonalsium created the Cosmere but we don't know if this was actually the case and there's some evidence against it. Brandon has called out Roshar as an example of a world created by Adonalsium, which suggests that there were other worlds that were not directly created in that manner, or Roshar wouldn't stand out. There's also the fact that there's a whole universe outside the Cosmere (a fact not currently known in-universe) and we've no idea if Adonalsium had anything to do with that.

Relatedly, Brandon's been asked questions about whether Adonalsium could be likened to the demiurge of Gnosticism and has said that the concept matches pretty well, suggesting that Adonalsium isn't the ultimate source of Life, the Cosmere and Everything. He's also said that the God Beyond has some parallels to Gnosticism so that entity could be argued to be the ultimate creator of everything, if you believe the God Beyond is real. But Brandon's leaving that sort of thing up to us, as is the question of the Cosmere's after-afterlife (the Beyond) so it's probably a question that will never have an official answer.

On the question of the Shards, they didn't exist before the Shattering per se but we do know that all Investiture in the Cosmere comes from Adonalsium. Brandon has said (in a very detailed WoB) that to Investiture, the Shattering meant everything and nothing at the same time. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Edited by Weltall

As to the age of the Ire... It's an organization, and not a set group of people. Because of that some are older than others. Some are pre-reod, and others post. 

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

With the-- You're talking about the breaking of Elantris? Who says it was after?

Questioner

Well I assumed it was before...

Questioner

...Who says it was before or after? The real answer to that is some are from before, some are from after. That's the actual answer. I was being cheeky but you caught me because I misread the question. They are not all the same age.

Footnote: The actual question is unknown, but presumably it refers to the Ire.
source

That may be speaking about something else... But I don't know what it could be.

Edit: was supposed to be a quote, and not a spoiler... 

Edited by Calderis

3 hours ago, Weltall said:

It's not likely to be nearly that long. Brandon has said that we have a timeline of about a thousand years worth of events we could place (presumbly meaning all the books, not counting the Aharietiam portion of Way of Kings because that's considerably older) which would count Elantris but probably not include White Sand as the graphic novel hadn't begun when he told us that.

Relatedly, while White Sand is the oldest published work, it's probably not that much older than Elantris since Brandon has flip-flopped on which of the two happened first, before finally canonizing that it's the former.

PS @whattheHoid The quote and spoiler tags are at the top of the editing window. The quotation marks will create a quote tag and the one that looks like an eye creates a spoiler tag. Relatedly, to get the really nicely formatted WoB quotes from Arcanum, right-click on the 'Copy' button next to the quote there, then paste it into a quote tag over here. And now you know. xD

Right, but around about the same time, he said that the grand cosmere timeline spans about 10,000 years, with SA in the middle of that. And SA is already over 10k years, so clearly, things have changed quite a bit :) (Shattering to Aharietiam ~6k years, Aharietiam to WoK 4.5k years).

With Era 2 during SA, Era 3 maybe 100  years later, how many years would it be to Era 4? I would guess less than another 10k, and probably quite a bit less than the confirmed 4.5k since Aharietiam.

In the "Notes" section of the spreadsheet, he explains why he picked that date:

Elantris "Not thousands of years before Hero of Ages", so I'm guessing more than a couple hundred but less than 2000. I picked 1525 years before Hero of Ages for a nice round number (that's 500 years before Rashek took the power at the Well of Ascension).

And in the WoB that's based on, Brandon emphasizes that Elantris is far earlier. So it's not a horrible guess :)

Edited by RShara

Fascinating. Brandon's answers kinda make sense and not. I am curious, if the Cosmere, itself, is a dwarf galaxy, than I wonder where it is in relation to another inhabited galaxy. I would assume there is if Adonalsium created the Cosmere and not the entire universe. Are the other galaxies like ours? Meaning, are there a few or one planet with life and the rest of the planets are uninhabitable. Do they think they are the only ones? Do they have they're own Cognitive Realm, or is that only in existence because of shards and its Investiture? If not, I wonder if it would be possible to somehow "Galaxy-hop"? It would be really neat at some point to have a story within the Universe that holds the Cosmere. Is the Universe expanding, shrinking? Are there black holes? Wormholes? I should try to channel my inner Shallan and draw this.

Elantris "Not thousands of years before Hero of Ages", so I'm guessing more than a couple hundred but less than 2000. I picked 1525 years before Hero of Ages for a nice round number (that's 500 years before Rashek took the power at the Well of Ascension).

I feel much more confident in my original 1,400 guess now that I've seen this. I find it funny that we both picked our numbers because it helped line things up at the time

• Chaos locked this topic