Why is Hoid gathering all the magical abilities?

Invocation

Question

Do we have a reason for Hoid attempting to horde all the magical abilities to where he can use them? What does he stand to gain? Is he trying to become a new Adonalsium by collecting each Shard's magic system that he can gain and then host all the Shards and Ascend x16? Do we know yet or is that yet to become clear?

7 answers to this question

Also I don't think that just because you have a magic system, you're immediately Connected to the Shard. I believe you need your Identity to to be spiritually Connected to the intent of the Shard. So collecting all the magic abilities wouldn't be enough to collect all the shards.

Brandon has said that Hoid trying to reassemble Adonalsium is a valid theory and what the books make it look like he's up to. Which is not the same as saying that it actually is what Hoid is up to. Given that Hoid's background isn't going to be explored until Liar of Partinel/Dragonsteel and that's the very last major project Brandon plans to write, we're not going to get answers for a long time.

Edited by Weltall

42 minutes ago, Gray to said:

Also I don't think that just because you have a magic system, you're immediately Connected to the Shard. I believe you need your Identity to to be spiritually Connected to the intent of the Shard. So collecting all the magic abilities wouldn't be enough to collect all the shards.

For most people, maybe, but this is Hoid we're talking about here. He does what he wants.

Logical reason is that he's just gaining more power for whatever his plan is. Personally i do not like the "he's trying to reform Adolnasium" because it's extremely obvious and predictable(greater plan plot). It's literally a very common prediction people make

and interesting concept to explore:

what kind of resonances does hoid experience? We know he has some sort of healing factor, on top of that he has massive amounts of biochromatic breath and allomancy.  with all of those different forms of investure, there must be some wack side effects.

we also have reason to believe he is a soon to be knight radiant. 

we have not yet seen what resonance looks like while mixing systems from different shards. 

i am curious as to whether the mixing of any magic systems causes a “dissonance” for the user opposed to a resonance. :huh:

13 minutes ago, etmental said:

what kind of resonances does hoid experience? We know he has some sort of healing factor, on top of that he has massive amounts of biochromatic breath and allomancy.  with all of those different forms of investure, there must be some wack side effects.

Nope, Hoid won't get any resonance perks. Brandon has likened the effect to constructive interference in physics where the 'waves' of each magic system combine and the effect is your special perk. However, if you have too many magic systems, they overpower the subtle effect that leads to the resonances and you don't get any.

Yata

There is something that recently was debade by some fans and I hope you may give some clue about the "side effect of interaction between magic" as was pointed in the Twinborn and Surgebinder Cases: Are those "perks" stackable ? To say if I am a Fullborn like Rashek, wil I have all the possible Twinborn's perks or a specific "Fullborn's perk" ? And about the same topic, a Mistborn or Full Feruchemist has his own perk/perks ?

Brandon Sanderson

I've worked under the premise that if you hold too many of the powers, like a Mistborn, the result is a loss of these little quirks. The mechanics of it are interesting, but I'll leave you to theorize on that sort of thing.

source

Given this, there's no possible way that Hoid gets any resonance effects.

i am curious as to whether the mixing of any magic systems causes a “dissonance” for the user opposed to a resonance.

I suspect that you'd get a resonance even if the magic systems come from different Shards. There's not necessarily an obvious relationship between the powers and the perks from the examples we've seen; Kaladin's powers to alter gravity and atmospheric pressure... make his squires stronger than normal and let him have more of them. So if you had something like a Coinshot with a few Breaths (possibly even a Radiant with a single allomantic or feruchemical power, if three aren't 'too many') I imagine they'd get a resonance of some kind, but we'd be hard-pressed to guess what it might be. That these resonances wouldn't be 'natural' shouldn't be an issue, since we already know that can be made to happen with hemalurgy and Khriss' comments about it in the Ars Arcanum.

Edited by Weltall