Why does aluminum do what it does?

Invocation

Question

9 answers to this question

Nope! Brandon has said that if you were to ask Khriss in-universe even she wouldn't know and he hasn't divulged it to us out of universe of course. The Watsonian explanation has to do with Brandon wanting a metal for Mistborn that would have been rare, which explains why it's aluminum that's the Investiture-eater and not something else, but why aluminum has this property across the Cosmere is a mystery..

Evidently aluminum is just anti-investiture. If I had to guess, I would say that it can just block investiture from going somewhere, making a closed system of sorts. This is why Nightblood doesn't draw on your investiture when its in its sheath: all its own investiture can't leak out because it's trapped in closed system.

We haven't really had any new sources of info regarding this topic since Invo posted it. In fact, we haven't had any new Cosmere releases since then. 

Instead of creating a new topic, if someone wants to post new info on an old topic that isn't based on outdated info or been explained/expanded upon since then, should be fine I think. If @Invocation, who's the OP here, doesn't mind either, of course.

Chaos has said something similar on previous necro complaints which were starting to make some members feel unwelcome:

On 2/14/2020 at 2:26 AM, Chaos said:

Friends, there is no need to reply and get on people's cases about topic necromancy. Firstly, many very old topics have already been closed and I deemed OB stuff and on to be okay. 

I see no reason why one should make a new topic when there's a perfectly fine one here. Relax on complaining about topic necromancy. Don't post off topic, instead just report and we will evaluate.

Sure, the topic is a bit old, but it's not like there's been new Stormlight to read. It's not like it's pre OB or 2014 (and in fact those topics that old should already be locked, and this not an issue).

Please carry on, if people like.

@Channelknight Fadran, I hope you didn't take Weltall's words too harshly, he's just trying to follow the rules.

Anyway, we can just wait for the mods' verdict on this, I guess

Edited by R J

Topic necromancy is not a big deal @Weltall. This is fine and we do not require people to comment here about it. Report, don't reply to topic necromancy, and then we will judge. 

There is a balance between not having posts on very old things vs. being welcoming to newer members. In this case, this is an older (ish) post that received little attention. There's really no reason for general members to call people out on it.

As I have always said topic necromancy is not a big deal and a few people seem to think it's a very big deal. It's not. It really, really is not. Excessively old topics are locked. There hasn't been much cosmere since this thread, so that's fine. 

Anyway, let's just report such threads; there is absolutely no need to actually respond. (Because if we did deem it an unnecessary post on something very old, we'd just have to hide all the replies to that.) I think this one is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

In my opinion it's based on shape, the other allomantic metals get their power by their shape, like Aons, I think Aluminum's shape is like a sink/drain.

We know that's the case (see WOB) but what's so special about aluminum to make it that way?

tay95

A theme throughout a lot of the Cosmere novels is that form, of one sort or another (patterns, aons, etc.) has a crucial role to play in unlocking or using Investiture.

As a chemist, I'm curious about the role of form in Allomancy and Feruchemy. Does the underlying molecular or crystalline structure of the metal or alloy play a roll? Different processes, doping ratios, and metal mixtures result in different molecular packing, lattices, and ultimately structure. It seems like that kind of very defined, orderly matrix would be right in line with other forms of unlocking Investiture.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes! I've actually mentioned to people before that the chemistry of the various metals acts, for Allomancy, in the same way that the Aons work for AonDor. It's more a key than it is a source of power itself.

Worldbuilders AMA (Dec. 4, 2015)

This question is going to haunt me forever.