Nightblood's Investiture sucking

QuaN7umVo1D

Question

Soo Nightblood sucks up a persons spark when it kills, innate Investiture an all, and erases them on all three realms. What happens to Investiture which Nightblood sucked in, does it go to the user, does it stay in Nightblood, does it go to Endowment.. I'm quite confused on this. For that matter, what happens to soul sucked by Nightblood? I would imagine a Cognitive Shadow out of the picture :D

9 answers to this question

Nightblood absorbs it, corrupts it, and it leaks back out as the black smoke he emits.

Which pretty much means that anything he eats is not what it was, and not coming back in the form it was. 

Edited by Calderis

Going off this, cuz I don't think it's worth a new question and idk if we even have a definitive answer on this, how long does Nightblood retain the Investiture he absorbs? Because every scene I can recall of him being unclasped has him leaking black smoke even when he isn't actively receiving Investiture from someone. 

Edit: specifically scenes where Nightblood is out of his sheath for awhile, like 30 minutes atleast in Warbreaker if I remember correctly. And he was still leaking Investiture. 

Edited by jefftucker0525

@jefftucker0525 @QuaN7umVo1D keep in mind, Nightblood does not exclusively suck the investure out of its “victims”...

it also takes investure from the wielder, it’s becausenof that that whoever wields it starts losing what pigment they have because it is corrupting their biochatic breath. 

anyways, my point is, he doesn’t need to retain any inclvestire from a victim to leak once he is unsheathed. when he is unsheathed he immediately starts chowing on the investure of the swordsman.

8 minutes ago, etmental said:

@jefftucker0525 @QuaN7umVo1D keep in mind, Nightblood does not exclusively suck the investure out of its “victims”...

it also takes investure from the wielder, it’s becausenof that that whoever wields it starts losing what pigment they have because it is corrupting their biochatic breath. 

anyways, my point is, he doesn’t need to retain any inclvestire from a victim to leak once he is unsheathed. when he is unsheathed he immediately starts chowing on the investure of the swordsman.

Yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is when he's unsheathed but also not actively being wielded by anyone. There's atleast one scene in Warbreaker I can think of when this happens (boat scene and at one point stabbed into the ground so make that 2) and still the black smoke

15 minutes ago, jefftucker0525 said:

Yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is when he's unsheathed but also not actively being wielded by anyone. There's atleast one scene in Warbreaker I can think of when this happens (boat scene and at one point stabbed into the ground so make that 2) and still the black smoke

ahhhh, i forgot about that. good catch

@QuaN7umVo1D well I'm not really sure but my best guess is that Nightblood has either some imperfection/flaw in its design or that the... strain? Wrong word probably but whatever.  But the strain of keeping a normally non - sentient thing sentient permanently requires regular Investiture, which Nightblood can retain and use when sheathed but leaks when not. Or what if Nightblood is an Awakeners version of a Returned??