My Signing Questions

Luke.spence

Maybe Hoid swapped the entire person, Taln is safe somewhere, and the person they now think is Taln is Jezrien!

Wait. What if the real Taln is the one who actually arrived at the gate, but then died. Could they maybe be using the body? Also, going along the "guilty insane Herald" route, I would guess Kalak.

I dunno, for now this is all just wild speculation.

He does snap out of his psycho mode pretty fast when threatened.

I am loving this "switched out the person" theory.

It is a theory, innit? Wow! My first ever theory that is more than just a feeling or hunch! I never come up first with such stuff. A strange and good feeling. And also strange that such a simple thing feels so good. If we're going to believe it possible for the moment, I wonder: did Hoid do it or would that be too obvious?

I feel a new thread would be more appropriate than Dalinar's Blade one, because there really are (at least) three different mysteries here - where is the Honorblade, how did Dalinar get a hold of some unknown Shardblade, and who is this person who claims to be Talenel'Elin.

A request, could you please post the signing reports in the Events forum, that is where they are supposed to go.

Ah! I wasn't sure where they were supposed to go. Like I said, this isn't all of it yet, only about half of it. Once I have it all gathered together I'll post it there (meaning tonight). Should I make a new thread or is there a specific one where I should share it?

Ah! I wasn't sure where they were supposed to go. Like I said, this isn't all of it yet, only about half of it. Once I have it all gathered together I'll post it there (meaning tonight). Should I make a new thread or is there a specific one where I should share it?

Generally we like to have one thread per signing that has all the discussion and signing reports (it makes it easier on those of us who add stuff to the interview database), but I don't know if there is already one for this signing (checking...) and there is.

Generally we like to have one thread per signing that has all the discussion and signing reports (it makes it easier on those of us who add stuff to the interview database), but I don't know if there is already one for this signing (checking...) and there is.

Lol, the thread I originally started asking if anyone was going.

Since I made the OP, should I edit it and put the information there so it's easier to find, or should I just post it in a reply?

Lol, the thread I originally started asking if anyone was going.

Since I made the OP, should I edit it and put the information there so it's easier to find, or should I just post it in a reply?

Yeah, I saw that, totally meant to mention that.  And actually both would be nice?  (edit the OP for ease of access, post a reply so the "new posts in this thread" thing shows up)

Q: 3. What caused a desolation to end? Was it just the defeat of Odium's forces?

A: The Heralds will cause another Desolation to start if they don't leave Roshar to be tortured within a time limit.

Just tells you how bad the torture was when a Desolation is your timed vacation.

Anyway, I just realised that this means that the timing of the Desolations was pretty much entierly up to the Heralds, so maybe there is something to Nalans clam that Surgbinders cause Desolations, given that they are modeled after Heralds, or he is just projecting their own "fault" on them to cope.

Just tells you how bad the torture was when a Desolation is your timed vacation.

Anyway, I just realised that this means that the timing of the Desolations was pretty much entierly up to the Heralds, so maybe there is something to Nalans clam that Surgbinders cause Desolations, given that they are modeled after Heralds, or he is just projecting their own "fault" on them to cope.

Wasn't it implied in WoR that the spren could sense the upcoming Desolation which caused them to start to seek out bonds?

If so, saying that Surgebinders cause Desolations because of their likeness to the Heralds wouldn't work, since the reason the Surgebinders came back was because of the Desolation.

Ah, thanks for clarification.

Now, please help me out once more: Where in WoR did we learn that they're the same, specifically that Brandon thinks about them as being the same? Afaik he could have very well be referring to those as two seperate kinds of Shardblade. Also, I cannot remember any WoB that there ARE only three types of SB. He just said, we had seen three types in WoK.

Edit: Also, I am aware that this discussion borders on threadjacking and I apologize. I do hope, however, that it might lead to my question being asked ;)

I'd like to see someone ask Brandon if Hoid has a Dawnshard.

Ok, so the Desolations start or continue whenever the Heralds are on the planet.

But the Heralds stuck around after the previous Desolation...but they gave up their blades.

Does that mean they weren't Heralds anymore after they dumped the blades? Because if they didn't leave the planet another Desolation should have started (unless the timing is ~4,500 years).

But we know one Herald went back for his Blade...

Maybe Taln didn't come back after all. Maybe the Desolation started kicking into gear after that Herald took his Blade back? Or maybe that was Taln at the end of WoK, but he only came back because that other Herald reclaimed the Blade and triggered a Desolation, and Taln could sense this from Braize. No use staying for more torture.

I am confused about why you are confused. It looks pretty clear that (Brandon wants us to believe that) Taln's return Damnation 4,500 years ago assured that no Desolations would come until he breaks. So now he broke. And here it comes.

I like this question a lot. Please post whatever answer you get!

So, the question that I ended up asking (during the book signing portion - there's no way he would have answered earlier) was:

Can the Heralds surgebind without their Blades and, if not, do they have the same restrictions that others would.

He almost didn't answer the question (I could tell a part of him really didn't want to answer), but then said "You've been waiting such a long time." (I was one of the first ones there)

His answer (slightly paraphrased, since I didn't think to record it because I didn't expect an answer):

The Heralds, without their Blades, are incapable of the powers that we are familiar with. That does not mean that they don't have special powers of their own.

I did, however, manage to record the general Q&A section and the Reading (which was from an unpublished work). I'll see about uploading those to the Events page.

• Chaos locked this topic