My Signing Questions

Luke.spence

Wow, thanks for asking those. You got answers to some things I was sure would be RAFO. Can't wait for the transcript!

I KNOW! He kept answering and explaining is tons more detail than I was expecting lol. I thought for sure half of that was gonna get RAFOed. My brother did get RAFOed, but that was on purpose. He asked, "how does the entire series end?" as a joke since he really wanted to get a RAFO card lol. Brandon actually answered it at first, saying, "it ends AWESOME!"

Thank you Luke. Nice to finally clear up the Honorblade confusion. Though now there's more confusion, as Szeth intentionally drops his Nlade in his second-to-last interlude in WoK and it mistifies. I suppose he willed it to vanish, then?

Yeah, I suspect dismissal.

Alright, what the hell. Since I have my iPod on me I went ahead and wrote out the questions we asked him one on one. There were a few interesting answers from the Q&A, but I’ll have to type those up later (the video I got of those is much longer--I think it was 25 minutes?). The one with our specific questions was only six minutes long, so a lot faster to write up. I’ll definitely upload the videos/audio. Is there a good website to do that with? They’re specifically videos taken on my iPod. I suppose I could always YouTube it if that’s the best route.

[Note, I was so dumb and didn’t record the exact answers for these first two, so this is paraphrasing.]

Me: So, the Purelake in Shadesmar is mountainous. Does this in any way have to do with the fact that the Purelake is so shallow?

Brandon: No. I haven’t yet discussed the nature of the relationship between Shadesmar and the Physical world.

Me: So, when Dalinar has his vision in what he assumes in the Purelake, he sees an obsidian fortress. Is that fortress in any way related to the fact that the Purelake in Shadesmar is mountainous?

Brandon: No.

Someone in line before us: Please don’t tell me you’re going to do a love triangle between Adolin, Kaladin, and Shallan.

Brandon: [he phrased this very carefully] I’m not a fan of the traditional love triangle. However, I am fond of conflict in relationships.

[Alright, these are from my recording, so word for word.]

Me: The weepings--Shallan and Kaladin react very differently to them.

Brandon: They do.

M: It just seems to me that the Weepings feel very close to Cultivation.

Brandon: The primary thing you’re noticing -- and I’m not going to say there’s not any magical influence -- but the primary thing you’re noticing is that Kaladin has season defective disorder and Shallan likes the rain. That’s the primary thing you’re noticing. I like the rain--my wife hates it. My wife gets depressed when it rains and I love when it rains.

Me: Did Taravangian go to see the Nightwatcher before or after Gavilar’s assassination?

Brandon: Um, oh man. I’m going to have to look at my timeline. I believe it’s before, but I can’t guarantee I’m right, because these things are all happening around the same time.

Me: Because he says that Gavilar confided in him the night of.

Brandon: Ooooh, you’re right. Nope, it’s after. It is after. You can send that question to Peter so we can confirm it. There might be something I’m forgetting about Taravangian.

Luke: What caused a Desolation to end? Was it just the defeat of Odium’s forces? Because the Desolations start when the Heralds break under torture.

Brandon: Because the Heralds can no longer be in existence. There is a certain period of time that they can be there, and after that, if they’re there, they will start a new one. So the Heralds do need to leave for a Desolation to end

Me: Oh. So they’ve got a time limit.

Brandon: They do. Otherwise the Desolation will start again. What they discovered is not all of them have to. As long as one remains, the Desolation will not start again.

Luke: So, by the nine leaving, did that actually break the Oathpact for them? Did it change the cycle of Desolations?

Brandon: They have not completely broken the Oathpact, despite what they may think.

Luke: How much stormlight equals one breath? Do you have an actual ratio?

Brandon: I have a ratio. It’s not on me.

Me: Okay, that’s a Peter question again.

Brandon: Yeah, well, I may not answer it even then.

Luke: Are the Heralds actually aware that Taln is back?

Brandon: Are the Heralds aware that Taln is back? Uh, you’re implying that this person actually is Taln. [The smile on Brandon’s face at this moment was the best, most excruciatingly awful smile ever. And we thought Peter was a tease.] Which is not guaranteed. It’s not guaranteed. However, the return of the Voidbringers does indeed indicate to them, in their mind, that he would have returned.

Me: So they assume because the Voidbringers are returning--

Brandon: Because the Voidbringers are returning, would be a clue to them that Taln has returned.

Woah! So. Much. Stuff.

Also, there is definitely something fishy with Taln. Brandon has been cautioning us against our assumption of his identity for years now. I have to wonder if some mind / body swap happened in the last 4,500 years...

are there any hints at all about Taln not being Taln? Thats creeping awful close to the "convolution for the sake of convolution" line which im not particularly fond of.

Well, for one, he's darkeyed when holding an Honorblade should make him lighteyed. Unless it doesn't. I'm still working on that theory. And Hoid called him his "confused" friend.

It... could be that "Taln" is one of the other Heralds who went insane over their guilt about Taln and it turned into full-blown multiple personality disorder where one of their personalities is Taln? Ugh. I don't like that. (Though, having thought about it, it makes slightly more sense?)

I've managed to confuse myself. I'm going to stop thinking about this now and try again later.

Also, the only thing I have noticed is that the person who appears in Kholinar at the end of tWoK is described as having "no hint of an accent" to his Alethi. However, in the Taln interlude, he is described by Dalinar(?) as having a northern Alethi accent. Not sure what that means though.

... and can the interlude titles lie? It says Taln, so we have to assume that guy is Taln... right?

Damnation Brandon!

Taln is KANDRA!

Lol, I doubt it. Though with all the worldhoppers in SA, who knows! Perhaps we should ask if a worldhopping Kandra could bond a Shardblade, maybe even go into detail: Can Kandra worldhop? If yes, do they need help or can they become worldhoppers in their own right? And if they can indeed bond Shardblades, does it matter what kind of SB we're talking (HonorB, dead spren, live spren, Nightblood lol)?

Also, I don't suppose anybody cared to ask my question to clarify the whole "three types of Shardblades in WoK"-business?

Q: 12. Are all the heralds aware that Taln is back?

A: If that person actually IS Taln. I'm not saying he's not, but he may not be who you would think he is.

If Odium is the one that tortures Heralds between Desolations, and Taln has been tortured for a LONG time... Is it possible that there's now a bit of Odium in Taln and that he's now acting on Odium's behalf in some way? 

If Odium is the one that tortures Heralds between Desolations, and Taln has been tortured for a LONG time... Is it possible that there's now a bit of Odium in Taln and that he's now acting on Odium's behalf in some way? 

I'm actually toying with the idea of Taln = Odium (meaning that Odium is pretending to be Taln). I'm not quite sure about this, and it would be a looooooong shot at best, but I like long shots. Very few people would know if Taln is actually Taln. Hoid is the only person who could tell who he is, and Hoid isn't always talkative.

I'm actually toying with the idea of Taln = Odium (meaning that Odium is pretending to be Taln). I'm not quite sure about this, and it would be a looooooong shot at best, but I like long shots. Very few people would know if Taln is actually Taln. Hoid is the only person who could tell who he is, and Hoid isn't always talkative.

Hmm. I can't imagine Hoid sticking around near Taln if this were the case, given that Odium is something that seems to actually cause him to fear for his life.

Now, that Accent thing is a good catch! I was wondering the same thing when I read it, but then completely forgot! Perhaps Epilogue-Taln was real and the whole person was swapped, not just the Blades? Though whoever did it would have to find a replacement with Herlad-like abilities and a severe personality disorder (or somehow bestow those abilities and knowledge on an excellent actor or something...)