Kaj

I am making my own magic system. It has been in development for a long time. The issue is I know I want there to be eighteen elements, but I can only think of seventeen. I have put them into pairs as well. I am open to suggestions for the last element

Edit: I have come up with the last element, but I need some help coming up with descriptions for each one.

Use this link to access the document. It is set to suggesting. That means that I will approve the changes made.

Edited by Kaj

That's interesting, you could split Earth into Stone/Rock and Earth/Sand. Also, is there any particular reason for the pairings? If it's just by like elements then I think there might be better pairing options. Like maybe Air and Ghost, or Psychic and Sound. 

EDIT: Assuming there isn't a specific reason for the pairings here is how I would pair them (reasons for changes are in red):

Water - Electricity

Ice - Fire

Nature - Bug

Air - Ghost  Both are invisible yet could have real-world effects.

Earth - Stone Both are earth related.

Poison - Petroleum Both are chemical based.

Light - Dark

Metal - Dragon I was thinking metal relates to dragon scales.

Psychic - Sound both relate to the brain.

These are just ideas though, feel free to ignore them. :) 

Edited by TheVillageIdiot

I love the suggestions. The one I am adamant about is the Dragon-Psychic pairing. It relates the mechaics behind the elements. There are basically two sides to the elements. There are two parts that determine how they are paired. The only two sets that are complete by the definition though are Light/Dark and Psychic/Dragon. The definition is based on how they differ and how they function together. Both Dragon and Psychic are mostly internal. Dragon is strong and assertive, while Psychic is soft and understanding. 

It also might help to explain the underlying source of the elements. I had this idea called the Essences. The Essences were basically magic of a specific type, pooled into an energy form. Then I read Sanderson's The Way of Kings and the rest of the Stormlight series and knew where I wanted to take them. I also already had a bunch of other mechanics that were similar to his. I have multiple worlds, the three realms, multiple magic systems, and several others. Think of the essences like spren. Each person that is born with one/two/three/all elements are basically like the people of Nathalis. On the same level is Tier 1 Essences. They are less sentient than spren. It is just a small amount of essence congealed together. Then there are Tier 2 essences. They are basically like lesser spren. Both Tier 1&2 are attracted to the use of their elements, but Tier 2 are like windspren, emotionspren, water&flamespren. Little creatures, with animal instincts. The highest tier is Tier 3. They are like Glys, Ivory, Syl, and Pattern. They are quite a bit rarer than on Roshar, however, but not as rare as a bondsmith spren. There are also Essential and Powered Items. Essential are similar to shardblades, and Powered items are like fabrials. They are different in some aspects as well. Essential items are condensed physical essences. The most common forms are Psychic apparel (i.e. robes, jewelry, and items they carry) and Dragon items (Wings, and scales, and other things). They do exist in the other clans and kingdoms, but are not as common. Powered items are made of a physical material, but are energized with the what would be compared to pure investiture. I named it orgone (nothing to do with the google definition). They have different powers and effects because they are a different magic system. There is also the Psynetwork which is very similar to the internet but allows a form of teleportation and a few other cool tricks. It exists in the cognitive realm and touches the spiritual.

@Zath That is actually one of the other magic systems. I have six. Spex, Jens, Elements, Legends (Credit to my friend Daniel), Powered Items, and Variance (Credit to my friend Jasmine) Spex and Jens are the oldest magic systems. In Spex are the original Creation Powers: Time, Space, Gravity, Matter, Energy, Life.