Dark One - TV Series

Andy92

I’m so excited to finally be able to see a Sanderson work on television.  We’ve been waiting for this for what?  13 years?  And it’s finally here!  (More like in a year or two... arrrggghhh)

5 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Sweet!

So this begs the question: is Dark One still Cosmere or did it get bumped out of the Cosmere for this project?

This is the most important question for me! 

I'm wondering if they are going to be coy about it at first. Cosmere stuff would be exciting for the fans but might discourage a wider audience. 

7 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Sweet!

So this begs the question: is Dark One still Cosmere or did it get bumped out of the Cosmere for this project?

It had been bumped to non-Cosmere on the last SOTS I believe

I’m very hyped for this! DO is the unpublished Sanderson story I have been most interested in, so its great that it is finally going somewhere. I’m glad that they didn’t scrap the electricity stuff either. Hopefully, it winds up being on a streaming platform I have access too (Netflix or HBO Nordic).

2 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I’m very hyped for this! DO is the unpublished Sanderson story I have been most interested in, so its great that it is finally going somewhere. I’m glad that they didn’t scrap the electricity stuff either. Hopefully, it winds up being on a streaming platform I have access too (Netflix or HBO Nordic).

Equally pumped up over here. Hopefully if this is well received then it might accelerate the production of other Sanderson adaptations. I wish I was a pulser so I could fast forward to the point in time where we get to see Brandon's books on screen.

29 minutes ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Equally pumped up over here. Hopefully if this is well received then it might accelerate the production of other Sanderson adaptations. I wish I was a pulser so I could fast forward to the point in time where we get to see Brandon's books on screen.

I would seriously abuse it to go from release to release... With occasional breaks to catch up on theories people have.

Also you could go through hundreds of years that way... Imagine the technological advancement you could see during your life.

/completely off-topic

7 minutes ago, Leyrann said:

I would seriously abuse it to go from release to release... With occasional breaks to catch up on theories people have.

Also you could go through hundreds of years that way... Imagine the technological advancement you could see during your life.

/completely off-topic

Major downside would be realising that Freddo's in the year 2100 cost $236 and a floating Nixon head is president :/

I am not excited by this news. This is the same thing that has happened with Martin, and to a lesser extent is happening to Rothfuss, where a multimedia franchise pushes the books to the wayside. When the time comes for Dark One related novels, what other projects are going to the back-burner? Dark One will be time-sensitive; you need all your media to be coming out together, or it defeats the point of doing a multiplatform push. If Dark One work ramps up in 2019, which Brandon currently has earmarked for writing Stormlight Four, which is going to win out?

Brandon's got two other Random House series ready to launch (Skyward later this year, Apocalypse Guard whenever he and Dan Wells get the story worked out). I have a sinking feeling they'll join the Alcatraz/Rithmatist/Elantris/Warbreaker stack of things Brandon wants to finish some day. (But first, this new project has a ton of momentum, so it's the right time to do it!) Don't get me wrong, Brandon is his own boss, he can write what he enjoys writing. But he has too much fun writing the first book of a series, and not enough fun writing the last, which is why the State of the Sanderson look-ahead grows every year.

8 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I am not excited by this news. This is the same thing that has happened with Martin, and to a lesser extent is happening to Rothfuss, where a multimedia franchise pushes the books to the wayside. When the time comes for Dark One related novels, what other projects are going to the back-burner? Dark One will be time-sensitive; you need all your media to be coming out together, or it defeats the point of doing a multiplatform push. If Dark One work ramps up in 2019, which Brandon currently has earmarked for writing Stormlight Four, which is going to win out?

Brandon's got two other Random House series ready to launch (Skyward later this year, Apocalypse Guard whenever he and Dan Wells get the story worked out). I have a sinking feeling they'll join the Alcatraz/Rithmatist/Elantris/Warbreaker stack of things Brandon wants to finish some day. (But first, this new project has a ton of momentum, so it's the right time to do it!) Don't get me wrong, Brandon is his own boss, he can write what he enjoys writing. But he has too much fun writing the first book of a series, and not enough fun writing the last, which is why the State of the Sanderson look-ahead grows every year.

I get your concerns, I really do, but Brandon is far more productive than Martin or Rothfuss. When he enters a writers slump he works on interesting side projects before throwing himself back into his main project. He avoids burnout that way (I think he has said this in some AMA's and in Writing Excuses). That's how he stays very efficient and pumps out high quality books regularly. 

I don't think working on Dark One on the side will push Cosmere books onto the back burner. Some of the positives of writing Dark One include;

• inhibiting writer burnout, thus maximising Brandon's efficiency
  • gives us an exciting new series
  • brings good press to Brandon's other works and increases the likelihood of seeing them on screen as well
Edited by The Harlem Worldhoppers

48 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I can see this. Although, to be fair, Alcatraz will be co-written by another author, and thus, will probably not take much time to finish. AG might be in a similar situation, with Dan doing a lot of the work. Elantris is at a place where the sequels can wait a little. Warbreaker is less so, but we already know that we won’t get that until after SA5. And if there is something Brandon won’t want to push further, it is SA. 

I also think that Brandon is aware of the situation, and of what the contract means for his writing schedule. If the speculation above is right, he might already be doing the required work on DO. And if he isn’t, he will probably have time to do so. The series hasn’t been written yet, as far as I understood. No one has picked it up. No directors, showrunners or actors are confirmed. So I’d say that he will have the required time.

I agree that he has a lot of side-projects though, and that finishing off a bunch of them would be pretty great. 

I'll admit to being concerned and skeptical.  Previous TV, movie and game deals have fallen through.  The graphic treatment of White Sand was extremely disappointing from an art standpoint.

And the Dark One is going to be book, TV show, podcast and graphic novel?  So everything but a musical?  I really hope it works out.  But Brandon's works have not gotten the best non-literature treatment thus far.

That is the core of my skepticism.

5 hours ago, Leyrann said:

/completely off-topic

4 hours ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

Major downside would be realising that Freddo's in the year 2100 cost $236 and a floating Nixon head is president :/

If we aren't all splintered by human stupidity first

I have this feeling that this will be Brandon’s first big media thing. A lot of things haven’t worked before, but somehow I feel like this will work. Not sure why. I totally get Pagerunner, though. The list of incomplete things keeps growing. I don’t feel strongly about getting more Rithmatist books or even Elantris, but... I worry sometimes that all these side projects will push the end of the cosmere off farther and farther. 

Pretty sure doing a Martin will be used in the future to tell writers what not to do, I can't speak for Rothfuss as I know no more than fan gripes. As far as Brandon projects, I think Brandon what needs to be finished and what doesn't. Besides, as some said above, starting with a cosmere book probably would work because it's not done. You don't want to have them start a Mistborn series and have a tv series pull material from unwritten cosmere books, like GoT is doing with Ice and Fire. Speaking of, will martin ever finish or has he said the TV show will