Board Name Changes

Apollyon

I also want to know the reason. I loved the forum name cosmere theories. If this is something permanent, I would suggest having a Cosmere discussion forum AND a Cosmere Theories forum. It's great to be inclusive, but there should still be a place where high level collegiate/doctoral level theorizing can happen.

We had been thinking of making this change for a while. I feel like there have been plenty of posts in that forum that were not "theories" but spanned across series. I don't expect this to alter the fabric of that forum. Theorizers are the biggest audience on the Shard, really. We were thinking of this change for years.

I would be opposed to having Cosmere Theories and a separate Cosmere Discussion area. Our forum list is too long and people already don't put things in the correct location. Increasing the number of forums creates a problem of two many choices, a friction for newer members to get involved, and I'd like to have that friction be lower. 

Edit: In addition, if there were two such boards, how would we enforce what is a "high-level" theory? I feel like that is a recipe for colossal disaster where there would be a group of hardcore theorizers with their space, and people who try to delve in just feel the group is very exclusive so the Discussion forum has most of the discussion and new theorizing. Some people will get upset about what gets deemed a theory and which don't. Such a split seems very unwise and difficult to enforce. The line can be subtle.

Edited by Chaos

As per usual, common sense reigns supreme, and I can see why you decided to make the change. I just really liked the thread title Cosmere Theories. Istanbul still lives on as Constantinople, Jefferson Airplane could still fly as Jefferson Starship and the Guess Who still rocked as Bachman Turner Overdrive, so really what's in a name?

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

As per usual, common sense reigns supreme, and I can see why you decided to make the change. I just really liked the thread title Cosmere Theories. Istanbul still lives on as Constantinople, Jefferson Airplane could still fly as Jefferson Starship and the Guess Who still rocked as Bachman Turner Overdrive, so really what's in a name?

Hey, I kept the name of the forum "General Theories" for waaaay too long before changing it so cosmere was in its name. I like it too! If you worry about the fabric of that board changing we can make some guidelines on how discussion there can go, and also we can use a "theory" prefix to help people identify theories more easily.

You guys do a great job running this site,  and I can see the reasons why you made the change. I'm really not trying to be critical I'm just prone to nostalgic griping.

I don't think any guidelines are necessary, the introductory blurb succinctly describes the sub-forum.