Shard metal alloys

Ixthos

Hi guys :-) The intro section is long, so I'm spoilering it to reduce the size of this post.

Spoiler

One of the things I have been curious about is the possible metals that can be produced and used in the different systems. Not just the metallic arts, but in all systems, as metal is how the essence condenses naturally. I think it is this reason that Preservation and Ruin worked together, making it so that Scadrial would have its different abilities focused on metal, and thus able to interact with and effect the power of other shards. Feruchemy lets a feruchemist store traits corresponding to all the three realms in the Cosmere, including investiture and connection themselves. Allomancy directly lets one sense investiture or shield oneself from investiture, and boost or weaken the powers of others. Hemalurgy can steal traits from any system, and can combine them with any other individual or warp an individual with the properties from different worlds. Without going into spoilers for other stories, we do know that these abilities are not only availabe to Scadrians, but the fact that they are present in a system which is so scientifically organised and established to be heavily studied in later stories does lend some support to my theory that these systems are specifically designed to affect the power of other shards as well as the Cosmere.

This initial post to this topic is primarily to speculate on what the alloy metals can do themselves, not how they will be used - to elaborate, this isn't speculation on how the metals could be used as a weapon, such as standard steel being used to fire metal as a projectile weapon, or how aluminium can be a shield to block investiture, or how gold could be used by a certain criminal on Sel, or how one could use Nicrosil to store power for other systems, etc. After this post though, if you want to speculate on how these hypothetical alloys can be used go ahead :-)

This also isn't speculation on the shard metals without them being alloyed. One of my main suspicions of how other shard metals can be burnt is by alloying them with Lerasium and that alloying the metal and its alloys to be burnt, but further speculation on the shard metals would put this topic in the Cosmere theories section, as one can make guesses based on previous properties of the shards. There is a lot of potential room for speculation, as, for example, it doesn't initially make much sense that Atium lets the future be seen when Ruin had weaker future sight than Preservation, but on the other hand it actually does make sense. Allomantically Atium lets one see the future, ruining what others wanted to do. Feruchemically it lets one age oneself, ruining oneself. Hemalurgically it lets one steal any attribute, ruining it no matter what trait is wanted, meaning one doesn't need to choose another metal. Lerasium doesn't make sense in changing someone as that doesn't seem to be preserving them, but it does let one access investiture which makes it easier to preserve someone or their strength. There are several ways each metal could correspond, so it is best not to speculate too deeply on those, and rather on the alloys. It might be maybe only one alloy is possible for each base metal, so for example iron can only be alloyed successfully with the shard metal for one shard, and zinc can only be alloyed successfully with the shard metal from another. or maybe Lerasium and Atium and Harmonium and their combined alloys can be alloyed with any, and then other than them only one shard to each other. This does reduce the number of possible alloys, but there also could be more complex alloyings possible. How many metals can be used in a single alloy, for example. Lets not worry too much about that - the main focus is on the shard metal alloys based on one key observation: the only seventeen metals we know of that are shard metal alloys are related to the base metal.

What I mean by that is this - the sixteen metals alloyed with Lerasium turns one into a misting, and gold and Atium together makes a metal that lets one apply golds power in part not to oneself but to someone else. The alloys of the metals should then, in theory, be metals that grant similar abilities to the base metal, but with some change. There is a caveat however - something that doesn't feel right to me is that steel should count as a metal so separate to iron, for example. The idea that allomantic metals are either one metal or one metal and one other metal so far has been shown to be the case, but if shard metals can be alloyed with alloys, that means that some metals would consist of three or more metals or elements, which doesn't feel right, not counting using a single base metal alloyed with multiple metals from other shards. It could be that is the case, or maybe one shard metal alloyed with iron produces one effect, and another shard metal alloyed with it produces the opposite, which could be a viable idea, but it still wouldn't cover a Lerasium alloy with steel. Still, this is a minor point - I will cover the combined possible metals of both a normal base allomantic metal and its alloy under the combined heading of the base metal, so any theory on Ferucemical steel, for example, would be under the heading of iron alloys.

A final note before covering the metal recaps and the theory itself is on Harmonium being a separate metal to a Lerasium and Atium alloy. It is established that it is not an alloy of the two, and considering its volatile nature is either very difficult to burn or might not even be possible to burn, or to use in feruchemy and hemalurgy. I think that maybe the three arts are less like rigid categories that we have assumed them to be, and that due to the nature of harmonium it represents the ability for the metals to manifest their traits themselves, as it seems to be the power source for the primer cubes. Either way, there seems to be a lot more to the metallic arts than has been established. Alloys might have abilities which function outside of the metallic arts or the other systems, and some might have properties that form systems of their own.

Before I post some theories on the metal alloys, lets first state again the known metals and their known properties in the metallic systems. The metals that are currently known:

Spoiler
  • Iron and Steel
    • allomancy - pull metals towards ones centre of mass // push metals away from ones centre of mass
    • feruchemy - store own weight // store speed
    • hemalurgy - steal strength // steal allomantic iron, steel, tin, or pewter

• Tin and Pewter
    • allomancy - increase all senses // increase all physical capabilities
    • feruchemy - store any sense // store strength
    • hemalurgy - steal senses // steal feruchemical iron, steel, tin, or pewter

• Zinc and Brass
    • allomancy - enhance someone else's emotions // reduce someone else's emotions
    • feruchemy - store mental speed // store warmth (originally would have been determination)
    • hemalurgy - steal emotional resilience // steal feruchemical zinc, brass, copper, or bronze

• Copper and Bronze
    • allomancy - hide allomancy from investiture detection // detect allomancy or possibly other powers
    • feruchemy - store memories // store wakefulness
    • hemalurgy - steal mental capacity // steal allomantic zinc, brass, copper, or bronze

• Cadmium and Bendalloy
    • allomancy - slow down time // speed up time
    • feruchemy - store breath // store nutrition and fluids
    • hemalurgy - not known, possibly steals allomantic gold, electrum, cadmium, and bendalloy // not known, possibly steals ability to go long periods without eating or drinking (nutrition)

• Gold and Electrum and Malatium
    • allomancy - see possible version of who you were or could have become // see short distance of ones own future // sees the possible version of who someone else could have been
    • feruchemy - store health // store determination (originally would have been warmth) // not known
    • hemalurgy - not known, possible steals feruchemical gold, electrum, cadmium, and bendalloy // not known, possibly steals health // not known

• Aluminium and Duralumin
    • allomancy - wipes out own metals (or perhaps other powers as well?) currently burning // burn up own currently burning metal in a single burst
    • feruchemy - store identity // store connection
    • hemalurgy - steals allomantic aluminium, duralumin, chromium, or nicrosil // not known, possibly steals connection 

• Chromium and Nicrosil
    • allomancy - wipe out metals (or perhaps other powers as well?) of target // burn up currently burning metal of target in a single burst
    • feruchemy - store fortune // store investiture
    • hemalurgy - not known, possibly steals feruchemical aluminium, duralumin, chromium, or nicrosil // not known, possibly steals investiture

Also known shard metals for completeness

• Lerasium
    • allomancy - turns burner into a mistborn, or if alloyed into a misting for the metal it is alloyed with
    • feruchemy - not known
    • hemalurgy - not known

• Atium
    • allomancy - short range future sight
    • feruchemy - store age
    • hemalurgy - steal any trait much more effectively than other metals

• "Trellium" (might actually be an alloy)
    • allomancy - not known
    • feruchemy - not known
    • hemalurgy - seems to be able to steal other traits like Atium but also seems to hides the user from Ruin/Harmony

• Harmonium
    • allomancy - not known
    • feruchemy - not known
    • hemalurgy - not known
    • "autoweldy" - burns itself and manifests the allomantic effect of the last used power near it? Also seems to extend the effects, so that touch based powers work remotely

To speculate:

• Iron alloys
    • allomancy - apply torque on metal as though connected to it by ones own centre of mass / move laterally relative to the metal / transmit a property into the target remotely
    • feruchemy - decrease how real they are, and thus able to pass through objects / decrease how real they are and enter the cognitive realm
    • hemalurgy - anchor connection to a target

• Tin alloys
    • allomancy - enhance a specific sense / sense something which has been made invisible
    • feruchemy - store noises and smells and the ability to be seen
    • hemalurgy - steal presence

• Zinc alloys
    • allomancy - sense someone else's emotions / telepathy
    • feruchemy - store own mind
    • hemalurgy - trap someone's mind

• Copper alloys
    • allomancy - sense other types of investiture keyed to the type of alloy / hide from other types of investiture keyed to the alloy
    • feruchemy - transfer memories into someone else / read someone else's memories
    • hemalurgy - trap a cognitive shadow

• Cadmium alloys
    • allomancy - contract distances / expand distances
    • feruchemy - store distances / store time
    • hemalurgy - steal how someone looks

• Gold alloys
    • allomancy - make own shadow real
    • feruchemy - store own gold shadow
    • hemalurgy - steal someone else's gold shadow

• Aluminium alloys
    • allomancy - selectively remove a type of investiture keyed to the alloy / remove all other types of investiture other than the type keyed to the alloy / selectively boost the type of investiture keyed to the alloy
    • feruchemy - selectively store a type of connection / store a hemalurgic charge preventing decay
    • hemalurgy - selectively steal a type of connection

• Chromium alloys
    • allomancy - selectively remove a type of investiture from a target / selectively remove other types of investiture other than the type of the alloy from target
    • feruchemy - store the type of investiture keyed to a the alloy (i,e. store power from another world)
    • hemalurgy - selectively steal a type of investiture

I hope you guys are okay :-)

On 5/28/2018 at 4:39 AM, Ixthos said:

Lerasium

• allomancy - turns burner into a mistborn, or if alloyed into a misting for the metal it is alloyed with

Do remember that this is just a side effect of Lerasium. A Mistborn could burn Lerasium for an actual power too, a power which we know nothing about.

Chapter Thirty-Eight
Preservation's Power

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

gold and Atium together makes a metal that lets one apply golds power in part not to oneself but to someone else. The alloys of the metals should then, in theory, be metals that grant similar abilities to the base metal, but with some change.

There is a consistent theme to Atium Alloys, but it might not be what you're thinking.

Maru Nui
What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson
The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

Footnote: The Allomancy chart poster reveals that atium alloys have various temporal and mental effects.

You seem to be thinking that God metal alloys are centered around the base Allomantic Metal(like Gold). Brandon makes it seem that the powers of God Metal Alloys are centered around the specific God Metal they are alloyed with.

but if shard metals can be alloyed with alloys, that means that some metals would consist of three or more metals or elements, which doesn't feel right,

Why not? Bendalloy exists:

It is a eutectic alloy of 50% bismuth, 26.7% lead, 13.3% tin, and 10% cadmium by weight.[1]

I know we don't know the exact ratio for Allomancers Bendalloy, but I'm not sure you can change the above ratio into just two metals and still have it qualify as Bendalloy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 8:53 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Do remember that this is just a side effect of Lerasium. A Mistborn could burn Lerasium for an actual power too, a power which we know nothing about.

I do know this - I did say the known effects after all :-P My point is that what we know of the metal tells us it lets one access power corresponding to the metal it is alloyed with, or if it isn't alloyed it increases their connection to Preservation. I think that one possible implication of what he meant by side effect is that becoming a Mistborn is a side effect of becoming more connected to Preservation, and so an alloy would let one access the power of other shards. It is also possible it has some other effect, and that burning it one way makes one a Mistborn or Misting but burning it another way changes the effect. Either way, I do know that is isn't the only thing it can potentially do, I just think that it might be the solution to being able to burn the metals of other shards ;-)

There is a consistent theme to Atium Alloys, but it might not be what you're thinking.

I agree that each metal has an effect centred on the shard the alloy came from - after all, ruining is a temporal effect. The point is though that all the metals are related to the base metal as well. Just because the metal is focused in one direction due to the shard doesn't mean it is different to the base metal. As the list showed, with the exception of how Brandon accidentally switched electrum and brass, all the metals base alloys are related to the base metal. There is no reason why an Atium-duralumin alloy wouldn't for example let you store your future connetions - a temporal effect and an effect on connection, linked to both metals. Basically, the quote says that the alloys of Ruin's metal have a temporal effect, not that they don't have an effect similar to the metal they are alloyed with :-)

You seem to be thinking that God metal alloys are centered around the base Allomantic Metal(like Gold). Brandon makes it seem that the powers of God Metal Alloys are centered around the specific God Metal they are alloyed with.

One can have multiple centred though. Iron and Steel and Pewter and Tin are all centred on the physical world. Iron and Tin, Zinc and Copper, Chromium and Aluminium, and Gold and Cadmium all centre on pulling effects. Iron and Steel, Zinc and Brass, Cadmium and Bendalloy, and Chromium and Nicrosil affect externally to the user. The metals shown or stated to be alloys have all been shown to have an effect related to the base metal, but altered by the shard. Iron and its known alloys allomantically affect the world by pushing or pulling on metals, Cadmium and its known alloy feruchemically let one store food or air, zinc and its known alloy hemalurgically steals mental traits. The alloys can still relate to the base metal while being clearly part of the shard metals set.

Why not? Bendalloy exists:

I know we don't know the exact ratio for Allomancers Bendalloy, but I'm not sure you can change the above ratio into just two metals and still have it qualify as Bendalloy.

I do agree in part, and I think I am wrong on this score, but I do feel I should point out that as stated in The Final Empire, allomantic pewter is a mixture of tin and lead, while regular pewter is the same but can also have silver and copper. In our world pewter can even have bismuth in it, just like Bendalloy. I think that allomantically a lot of the metals are actually compositions that are as close to the real alloy as possible, but only using one other metal - we don't know the compositions of other metals well enough to know for sure. Duralumin in the real world has copper, magnisium, and manganese among others, but in Well it is said to be four percent copper.

• Chaos locked this topic