Poll: Favorite Mistborn Book?

Llarimar

Favorite Mistborn Book?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Mistborn book?

• The Final Empire
    • The Well of Asension
    • The Hero of Ages
    • Secret History
    • The Alloy of Law
    • Shadows of Self
    • The Bands of Mourning

I'm sure threads like this have been created in the past, but what is your guys's favorite Mistborn book?  I feel like I may have a unique opinion on this, which is that Shadows of Self is my favorite - it is actually my favorite single Sanderson book (followed closely by Elantris - EDIT: Or maybe The Way of Kings).  The best thing about the novel is the pacing - it's very thrilling and a fast read, and I find myself continually excited and intrigued while reading the book, whereas I have a tendency to get a little bored with some of the other Mistborn novels.  I also love the character development in SoS (...is that the acronym for it?) - the entire Bleeder storyline and Wayne's character development are both really great, and I really enjoy everything that we learn about Harmony.  

Do you guys agree with me, and if not, which is your favorite Mistborn book and why?  

Edited by Llarimar

First of all, I love all the Mistborn books.  My favorite though would have to be the Final Empire.  I love the dynamic of the crew, but mostly what makes it better than the Hero of Ages, which is probably my second favorite, is the balls.  I loved reading about Vin attending the balls and playing politics and of course interacting with Elend.  The other books just didn’t have that.

Final Empire. It was the first Sanderson book I read and it had me hooked pretty much straight away. As above, I loved the stuff with Vin and Elend at the balls, and just the overall mood of the story was great. Hero of Ages was also awesome but I would never have read it without Final Empire, so Final Empire has to take my top spot.

The Final Empire is probably my second favorite.  I'm glad to see that other people like Shadows of Self!  I thought that would be a minority opinion.

4 hours ago, Aurora the Rioter said:

First of all, I love all the Mistborn books.  My favorite though would have to be the Final Empire.  I love the dynamic of the crew, but mostly what makes it better than the Hero of Ages, which is probably my second favorite, is the balls.  I loved reading about Vin attending the balls and playing politics and of course interacting with Elend.  The other books just didn’t have that.

I agree, I loved all the noble balls in The Final Empire, it was something I missed about the later installments.  There were some formal balls in the later books, such as when Vin and Elend dance together in Fadrex City, or when Wax and Steris go to a party in The Bands of Mourning, but the element of innocence and awe that Vin feels when she first attends the balls in The Final Empire is definitely missing from the other books.

21 minutes ago, Skip Hates Dragons said:

All of era 2 no explination needed

I am not sure which Era I like better.  Probably Era 1 even though Shadows of Self is my favorite Mistborn book.  I just didn't really like the Alloy of Law that much, so for that reason alone Era 2 is a little lower in my mind.  

Edited by Llarimar

Hero of Ages for extremely obvious reasons (aka one of the best story finish in all fantasy series available).

SoS close 2nd for the combination of Sanderson's better quality writing and just plain disturbing for a Sanderson book. The Final Empire cause it work as a stand-alone and it's a pretty great starting story.

I voted Alloy of Law but they're all brilliant. I think I just love the fact that AoL got written by accident! Yet, it establishes a whole new era and set of characters but there's such fun nods back to the original crew and events. I (sometimes, occasionally) find the humour in series like Stormlight to be a bit corny but, here, with the deliberate pulp fiction style it works fantastically.

I know it's a bit of an unpopular opinion but I voted Secret History. It answered a lot of questions which has been bugging me (Vin's suspicion of Hoid) and was a massive info dump on realmatic theory which I appreciated. Vin and Kelsier's final farewell was emotions and Kelsier's quest to punch deities in the face is hilarious. The end reveal that Kelsier is returning to the physical realm as a cognitive shadow stapled to a body using hemallurgy gets me excited for future mistborn novels as I feel that his full story has not yet been told.

This is a really hard one to answer. I would have to say that Final Empire would be my favorite mistborn book, since it was the first Sanderson book I read, and introduces some of m favorite characters, but Bands of Morning & Shadows of Self would be close second/third, since they have some of my favorite character moments/arcs.

I am reading Shadows of Self for the first time, so of course I haven't gotten to Bands of Mourning, but I have read all other Mistborn books. Rust and Ruin they are all amazing! Vin and Elend are one of my favorite book couples and I totally bawled my eyes out at the end of The Heros of Ages! The Final Empire was my favorite because it just drew me in with the mists and Vin. She's a baddy! She needs to get to Roshar and kick all kinds of Fused and Odium arse!:D

It’s been said before and I’ll say it again. Mistborn: The Final Empire. Brilliant work on Sanderson’s part in characterization and plot, even though he was new at this point. The first raid on Keep Venture hooked me and I’ve been enlisted in the Sanderson Armies since.

4 hours ago, Apollyon said:

It’s been said before and I’ll say it again. Mistborn: The Final Empire. Brilliant work on Sanderson’s part in characterization and plot, even though he was new at this point. The first raid on Keep Venture hooked me and I’ve been enlisted in the Sanderson Armies since.

A few people have said that they were hooked on Sanderson after reading The Final Empire, and some of my friends have told me this as well in person.  However for me, while I loved the Final Empire, I wasn't "hooked" on Sanderson, I wouldn't say,  until I had finished the entire first Mistborn trilogy.  What really hooked me on Sanderson was seeing all of his incredible plot connections and his foresight as an author, which only became really apparent by The Hero of Ages.

On 5/6/2018 at 11:35 PM, Llarimar said:

A few people have said that they were hooked on Sanderson after reading The Final Empire, and some of my friends have told me this as well in person.  However for me, while I loved the Final Empire, I wasn't "hooked" on Sanderson, I wouldn't say,  until I had finished the entire first Mistborn trilogy.  What really hooked me on Sanderson was seeing all of his incredible plot connections and his foresight as an author, which only became really apparent by The Hero of Ages.

And that is one of the main reasons The Hero of Ages takes the cake for me as well. It also helps that it was the most gripping, mindblowing and satisfying conclusion to an enjoyable trilogy I have ever read. Plus, watching Sazed struggle with his faith hit all of my empathy bottoms the entire time and his transformation into Harmony made my thoughts reel for weeks. It was the first time I ever got such a reaction from a novel so yeah, it takes the cognitive cake for me.

Although I have to say, if we are talking about my favorite Graphic Audio adaptation for a Mistborn novel then I have to go with the Shadows of Self. The voice acting for everyone was top notch, hearing Sazed soothing voice again was a joy to listen to, the music was so fitting for the pacing and Wayne's collection of accents was beyond entertaining. And the voice acting for that final scene man! I wanted to hug Wax so hard.

Although I loved all of the books, Shadows of Self was by far my favorite one. I loved the grip of the book, the tragedy that occurred, and everything in between. Sanderson really did well with his reveal at the end, and the characterization was spot on

2 hours ago, Mistbreaker said:

Although I have to say, if we are talking about my favorite Graphic Audio adaptation for a Mistborn novel then I have to go with the Shadows of Self. The voice acting for everyone was top notch, hearing Sazed soothing voice again was a joy to listen to, the music was so fitting for the pacing and Wayne's collection of accents was beyond entertaining. And the voice acting for that final scene man! I wanted to hug Wax so hard.

Here, I completely agree with Mistbreaker. I listened to Shadows of Self using Graphic Audio, and it was just amazing. The sound effects were just perfect, and the music was great as well. 

3 hours ago, Mistbreaker said:

And that is one of the main reasons The Hero of Ages takes the cake for me as well. It also helps that it was the most gripping, mindblowing and satisfying conclusion to an enjoyable trilogy I have ever read. Plus, watching Sazed struggle with his faith hit all of my empathy bottoms the entire time and his transformation into Harmony made my thoughts reel for weeks. It was the first time I ever got such a reaction from a novel so yeah, it takes the cognitive cake for me.

I have to say that Sazed wrestling with his faith, the death of Vin and Elend, and finding out what Lessie is in Shadows of Self. They stilll make me stop thinking. I think those collection of moments of being so profound as to make you stop and think are what makes the series as a whole resonate with the reader. 

On 5/27/2018 at 6:49 AM, goody153 said:

SoS close 2nd for the combination of Sanderson's better quality writing and just plain disturbing for a Sanderson book. The Final Empire cause it work as a stand-alone and it's a pretty great starting story.

Have you listened to the Graphic Audio version of shadows of self? The disturbing parts were really highlighted there, especially the part were the poor chofer encounter the Kandra and thinking it was a Mistwraith of old, he started shreaking in despair that he lost his soul. That scene transitioned so well to the Graphic Audio version it easily became the most disturbing thing I have ever seen Brandon Sanderson produce.

Edited by Mistbreaker

On 5/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, Calderis said:

Shadows of Self. I love the book as a whole and the ending just... Oh damnation. 

Yeah. Have you listened to the ending in the Graphic Audio format? The music, voice acting, the crying, everything was of the highest quality. I wanted to hug Wax so hard.

2 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Yeah the ending of SOS, poor Wax! I was angry at Harmony on his behalf!! That man did need so many hugs and cuddles!

Alot of people got triggered by Harmony's actions that book but i was just smirking with satisfaction after reading the book.

After seeing Preservation and Ruin operates with how they just do about anything that isn't against their intent to achieve their goals even if that means lying especially Ruin. No matter how benevolent Sazed is he is still basically a god with two shards where one of his intent is violent. He was bound to do something that is considered immoral and cruel by those who aren't a Shard like him but for him just necessary as the real ruler of Scadrial.

The entire reveal with Lessie at the end of the book and the actions that Harmony did that lead to it. That was the moment i have been waiting for when the Hero of Ages finally acts as the manipulative, invasive and seemingly cruel god that we needed to see. 

The caretaker for all ages just doesn't mean rainbows and sunshine. It also means doing the hard things basically a god must do to ensure survival

3 hours ago, Mistbreaker said:

Have you listened to the Graphic Audio version of shadows of self? The disturbing parts were really highlighted there, especially the part were the poor chofer encounter the Kandra and thinking it was a Mistwraith of old, he started shreaking in despair that he lost his soul. That scene transitioned so well to the Graphic Audio version it easily became the most disturbing thing I have ever seen Brandon Sanderson produce.

I've only gone through the written version. Actually i'm not much of a fan of audiobooks or graphicaudio tbh it doesn't match my pace(i know i can pause backtrack etc but it can be annoying). And sometimes i like to read and reread some lines over and over again savoring but thanks for the suggestion.

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

After seeing Preservation and Ruin operates with how they just do about anything that isn't against their intent to achieve their goals even if that means lying especially Ruin. No matter how benevolent Sazed is he is still basically a god with two shards where one of his intent is violent. He was bound to do something that is considered immoral and cruel by those who aren't a Shard like him but for him just necessary as the real ruler of Scadrial.

The entire reveal with Lessie at the end of the book and the actions that Harmony did that lead to it. That was the moment i have been waiting for when the Hero of Ages finally acts as the manipulative, invasive and seemingly cruel god that we needed to see. 

The caretaker for all ages just doesn't mean rainbows and sunshine. It also means doing the hard things basically a god must do to ensure survival

I've only gone through the written version. Actually i'm not much of a fan of audiobooks or graphicaudio tbh it doesn't match my pace(i know i can pause backtrack etc but it can be annoying). And sometimes i like to read and reread some lines over and over again savoring but thanks for the suggestion.

A very well crafted argument. Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, goody153 said:

You're welcome, although in case you are not aware, there are several apps you can download in your device to play the audiobook and increase or decrease the speed of the narration to better fit your pace. I do that all the time as needed to improve my experience.