If Melaan ate Wayne...

xianpoxi

Ok, so ever since I first read Bands of Mourning when it first came out, I've been wondering about this.

(disclaimer, I am not suggesting that Brandon is going to do something like this in the books at all, just that its a curious idea.)

There were 2 discussions in particular that brought the idea to my attention.

First, when Melaan patched a bullet wound for Marasi. She took a nibble to create a flesh bandage for Marasi's intestine an skin and tissue, which is a pretty awesome idea in itself.

Then Wayne was later telling Marasi to be careful w/ the Kandra spike. He said something along the lines of "Be careful not to poke yourself and turn into a Kandra"

Anyway, Wayne is certainly crazy enough to make the attempt and he might intrigue Melaan enough to try it out. The attempt being turning Wayne into a Kandra or 1/2 Kandra.

All Melaan really needs is enough food and focus to make the attempt. Wayne needs enough health stored just in case. If he stores up enough health, or gets a identity-free metalmind with the gold misting ability stored in it, he can compound for the health. 

If the Kandra can recreate a body so precisely, what about creating an entire body that way? So Melaan eats Wayne, slowly, and rebuilds each piece, connecting the nerves along the way.  So as long as Melaan is connected she can be a life support system. If the attempt fails entirely, Wayne regenerates with stored health. 

So Wayne gets a nearly full body prosthesis made from Kandra flesh. The next challenge would be how Wayne would gain any control over the "kandra" nerves of the flesh instead of just the synthesized human ones. Could Melaan leave the prosthetic behind, attached to wayne, and let it function like a normal body? 

Or, would the kandra flesh, separated from the Kandra revert to dead mistwraith flesh?

Would Wayne's ability as bloodmaker, reject and regenerate the full body, or would it incorporate the kandra Prosthesis?

Yes, I know I sound like a mad scientist.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, xianpoxi said:

So Melaan eats Wayne, slowly

I don't care how slowly you eat someone, it's going to hurt. A lot. Wayne has some crazy ideas sometimes, but I don't think he'd go that far without good reason. 

Then again, 'Let's see how awesome having two of me would be! I could be a solo two-man show,' might be enough reason for him. After all, he is Wayne. 

Edited by Archer

As a blood maker, unfortunately, his healing ability would revert him to human flesh even if this were viable... Which I doubt it is. 

Although Kandra Wayne is a freaking terrifying idea. He'd run around being different people all the time, even more than he already does. 

Healing depends on the perception - if someone has a wound and accepts it as part of themselves the healing wouldn't work. Conversely, if they think something is a part of them, wouldn't it make sense for the healing to incorporate that? I don't want to go into spoilers for other series, but we have seen at least two series cover something similar with wounds, and unpublished novel brings to mind a similar situation, though very different in other ways

2 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Healing depends on the perception - if someone has a wound and accepts it as part of themselves the healing wouldn't work. Conversely, if they think something is a part of them, wouldn't it make sense for the healing to incorporate that? I don't want to go into spoilers for other series, but we have seen at least two series cover something similar with wounds, and unpublished novel brings to mind a similar situation, though very different in other ways

Healing is based of the Spiritual Aspect. Perception acts as a limiter from the Cognitive aspect. So it can keep things from being healed that should, but unless the Spiritual Aspect is altered, it can't make thing be healed in ways they shouldn't. 

Edited by Calderis

43 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Healing is based of the Spiritual Aspect. Perception acts as a limiter from the Cognitive aspect. So it can keep things from being healed that should, but unless the Spiritual Aspect is altered, it can't make thing be healed in ways they shouldn't. 

I would agree, but I think it is also important to remember that in the cosmere ones spiritual aspect can be changed, and Brandon has hinted that two twins could end up merging if they saw themselves as one person, so two pieces of flesh that think of themselves as one could work, and if healing doesn't let you graft new flesh on then replacement organs would have to be handled very carefully in the cosmere.

Also, and I don't want to get spoilery, have you read the unpublished novels?

You know, one of the many reasons I have never done drugs is because I was afraid I would see weird stuff. Like the mental picture I am getting from this thought experiment, for instance. Lol, this was mesmerizing in a pretty disturbing way. Well done crafting this thought experiment!

• Chaos locked this topic