Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Well, at least I got the Shallow Crypts right!

Thank you Harakeke.  

So, there are multiple compass roses in different sizes strewn throughout, each with lines extending out at (what is assumed to be) the major directional points (N, S, E, W, NE NNE, SE, etc).  But what does it mean?

post-10016-0-25719100-1395171374_thumb.j

Have the symbols on the top and bottom border of that map been deciphered?

Yeah - they're just numbers. Look like latitude, but not based off the equator.

I'll throw them on the translated map at some point...

@Ryshadium: Look like Oathgate connections to me.

Edited by Harakeke

The field was ringed by ten columnar plateaus, with steps winding around their bases. The Oathgates. Beyond that extended the mountain range

So 10 Oathgates, probably corresponding to the 10 Silver Kingdoms?

Edit:  Ninja'd but Urithiru is the destination of all of them so it's probably not an Oathgate itself :)

Edited by RShara

Urithuru has 10 oathgates each of which likely connecting to the ancient capital cities of each of the silver kingdoms.  The 'compass roses' on the frostlands map are oriented such that the laylines are connect each of the roses to the others.  They are also not properly compass roses since they do not have a uniform orientation.  They do not correspond to the cardinal directions or subdirections. 

Edit:  Each of the Oathgates connect to the other oathgates as well.  Note that there are ten positions.  Shallan indicates orientation of the gate to the Urithuru position if I recall.

Edited by Shardlet

Unless the scale is way off, I don't think the compass roses are of Oathgate positions.  We know there's an Oathgate in Kholinar, but the compass rose position on the Frostlands map is way off of that city.  The mark is closer to Rathalas, so unless Alethkar has 2 Oathgates, I think it has to be something else.

Urithuru has 10 oathgates each of which likely connecting to the ancient capital cities of each of the silver kingdoms.  The 'compass roses' on the frostlands map are oriented such that the laylines are connect each of the roses to the others.  They are also not properly compass roses since they do not have a uniform orientation.  They do not correspond to the cardinal directions or subdirections.

Except that the roses don't all connect. The big one in the ocean does--six of its lines are shared with the other six symbols. But other than that, I believe the only other direct connections (shared line and not just a line from one hitting the edge of another) are the Shattered Plains rose with the big rose that's half off the page on the left side, and with the little one down in the bottom-left corner, where the tip of Thaylenah is.

Also, not all of these roses have 16 lines. The Shattered Plains rose and the Thaylenah rose each have only 14 (and two of those, the near-vertical black lines, are incredibly faint.) The big half-rose on the left also appears to be missing at least one line, but it's harder to tell on that one.

It's also possible that an eighth rose would be located at Dawn's Shadow. (Look at Maresia's overlay of the Frostlands map with the Roshar map and follow the black line that starts near the E in "Ocean of Origins", goes through the place where Shallan made landfall, and continues off the map without intersecting any of the visible roses. If you extend that line on the WoK Roshar map, it passes very close to Dawn's Shadow.)

Edited by Veil

I am correlating the "compasses" on the Frostlands map with the one on the large, color map of Roshar, but I probably shouldn't.  They seem too similar to me to discount that though.  I don't know if they indicate direction, or something else.  

To be perfectly honest, I have no flipping idea what's going on with these maps, and it's making me feel stupid.

I am correlating the "compasses" on the Frostlands map with the one on the large, color map of Roshar, but I probably shouldn't.  They seem too similar to me to discount that though.  I don't know if they indicate direction, or something else.  

To be perfectly honest, I have no flipping idea what's going on with these maps, and it's making me feel stupid.

If you guys haven't figured it out by tomorrow evening, I'll probably ask Brandon which map holds the thingy we're supposed to find. I can't stand knowing that there are more clues out there to find lol.

I know what you mean Rshara, it does look like it wants to be text.

I played with the colors and textures for a while, specifically at that position.

I didn't come up with anything. It may just be textures.

Except that the roses don't all connect. The big one in the ocean does--six of its lines are shared with the other six symbols. But other than that, I believe the only other direct connections (shared line and not just a line from one hitting the edge of another) are the Shattered Plains rose with the big rose that's half off the page on the left side, and with the little one down in the bottom-left corner, where the tip of Thaylenah is.

Also, not all of these roses have 16 lines. The Shattered Plains rose and the Thaylenah rose each have only 14 (and two of those, the near-vertical black lines, are incredibly faint.) The big half-rose on the left also appears to be missing at least one line, but it's harder to tell on that one.

It's also possible that an eighth rose would be located at Dawn's Shadow. (Look at Maresia's overlay of the Frostlands map with the Roshar map and follow the black line that starts near the E in "Ocean of Origins", goes through the place where Shallan made landfall, and continues off the map without intersecting any of the visible roses. If you extend that line on the WoK Roshar map, it passes very close to Dawn's Shadow.)

True that each rose is not connected to each of the other roses, but there are enough lines that are center to center between two roses that I am confident that each of the lines is center to center connecting roses.  It is simply explained in that this is obviously only a portion of a full map and that the lines which extend off the map connect to other known points which would be marked by a rose if the map were large enough to include them. 

Because I apparently have nothing better to do, I made a very crude cut out of the "compass" and made the background transparent so I can lay it over other maps and see what happens.  In case anyone was wondering, thus far, nothing, except that they seem to have similar angle measurements for each of the spokes as the "compass roses" on the Frostlands map, but not exact.  Otherwise, I have nothing except for fewer hours in the day with which to do my actual job. 

I know the feeling. I'm coming up with all sorts of utterly groundless theories (They're Elsecalling points! They're the false trail Hoid left behind to distract Seventeenth Sharders! >.> They're the location of the MacGuffins the characters are going to seek out in book 7!) I don't even know anymore.

But Luke, having one map to focus on would be nice. :)