Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Yeah, not 1, 2, 3, 4...etc.  It is actually 10, 20, 30, 40...etc.  More precisely 10, 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70.  Also the center of the map is going to be near the top of the 'B' in Tu Bayla.

As I said previously though, the most interesting thing to me about the latitude markings is the double hashmarks at 0, 23, 35, 47, and 68 degrees.

I'll have to find these other ones.  I only spotted five.

Humph, those are latitude lines. 

Makes a lot of sense.  So much sense that I should have seen it from the start!

I've only been able to spot one more possible anomaly -- is that a latent thumbprint on the black and white map just south of Thaylenah?

Makes a lot of sense.  So much sense that I should have seen it from the start!

I've only been able to spot one more possible anomaly -- is that a latent thumbprint on the black and white map just south of Thaylenah?

I see the numbers you are looking at now. The map you are looking at took the original map and put it in a larger frame.  You are seeing some numbers and such which were not completely erased in the change.  Check out this link for the original map.

Shardlet, could 0 mark the equator, 23 mark a line like the tropic of cancer/capricorn, and 68 is around something like an arctic/antarctic circle.  I'm lost on 47 and 35. 

Here is my analysis of it from a much earlier post:

You'll notice that at approximately 0, 23, 35, 47, and 68 degrees latitude that there is a double mark at the sides of the map.  If you put lines at these marks you see that these lines appear to approximate the equator, the tropics, and the arctic and antarctic circles here on Earth.  Yet, we know that the numerical degrees listed certainly imply that most of continental Roshar is in the southern hemisphere.  As further evidence of this, we see that the Reshi see and isles (as shown in the Rysn interlude) are substantially tropical while the Frostlands are...well, called the Frostlands.  So...what could these particular lines of latitude represent?

Edited by Shardlet

Apologies for forgetting about your earlier post.

I don't know what extra "important" latitude lines could really mean.  On earth, they're obviously related to the sun.  Maybe on Roshar they're related to the three moons?

I got nothing. 

Okay first post!

I kinda got obsessed with trying to find stuff on the map soooo here goes.

I tried a couple things like tracing out the latitude lines, overlaying the two maps we have and other stuff but what i ended up doing that seemed to make sense to me was

- trace out the lines from the compass thingy,

- flip the image horizontally and trace them again

- flip vertically and trace again

- flip horizontally and trace.

I noticed two points of convergence of the lines.

1- where I believe Urithiru to be situated near Babatharnam as posited by Falconite on the stormblessed forums

2 - the Emerald pools in the Horneater peaks

Is it any help to try and correlate something on the map to the orbits of the moons? There's definitely something wonky about them: They're far to regular in their orbits (in the same order at night every single night? No thank you, says Stellar System Formation 101), and were put there artificially.

Okay first post!

I tried a couple things like tracing out the latitude lines, overlaying the two maps we have and other stuff but what i ended up doing that seemed to make sense to me was

1- where I believe Urithiru to be situated near Babatharnam as posited by Falconite on the stormblessed forums

I'm pretty sure that the book indicates that Urithiru is in the mountains near the Emul border. 

Okay first post!

*speculation* Could those points of convergence be locations of shardpools?

@Kurkistan and all those thinking about possible purposes of the lines on the map and weird moon patterns of Roshar. 

Has anyone put out the theory that Roshar is part of a Binary or trinary planet group or something similar?  With the moons being actual planet sized bodies.  I have thought it might be the case since TWoK.  I think it would just fit Brandon to write something like into Roshar.  It would also help explain the crazy non-normal seasons that they have, and possibly could influence the weird highstorm pattern as well. Since we know highstorms are predicted by complex math, and calculating orbits of a binary (or more) planet group would certainly fall into the complex catagory.  Brandon seems to like a physical explanation to the strange aspects of the worlds he writes, and I really can't think of much else that is semi-possible to explain the crazy seasons.  I guess it could be a crazy axis wobble or something as well.  What do you all think?

Is it any help to try and correlate something on the map to the orbits of the moons? There's definitely something wonky about them: They're far to regular in their orbits (in the same order at night every single night? No thank you, says Stellar System Formation 101), and were put there artificially.

I didn't know that, but of course it makes sense, maybe the double lines are related to a kind of lunar "solstice" vs a solar one (yes I realize that solstice literature means sun standing still...)

Do the moons of Roshar actually orbit the planet or are they stationary

I didn't know that, but of course it makes sense, maybe the double lines are related to a kind of lunar "solstice" vs a solar one (yes I realize that solstice literature means sun standing still...)

Do the moons of Roshar actually orbit the planet or are they stationary

Hey, finally had to make an account to share this.

So I just got back from a signing with Sanderson. He's been teasing us with this secret hidden in the map of Roshar for a while, so I asked him if I was correct in thinking that Roshar looked like a spiral galaxy. He told me I was on to something that no one had asked before, so we have something here. I followed that up with a slight question about this potentially being due to people being able to manipulate gravity on Roshar (thinking of black holes in galaxy centers), but he said that wasn't correct, but my earlier point still was. That was all I got from Sanderson.

I got to thinking about the Horneater pool (shardpool?) that we've been theorizing Hoid used to come to this world. What if Roshar serves as a hub world of sorts, with physical locations (like that pool) serving as links to certain planets that align to that location in the galaxy? It's tentative, but it's the route I'm thinking.

I always thought it looked a bit hurricane-like -- like the landmasses show some evidence of counter-clockwise rotation the way the Reshi islands and the small islands leading to Aimia.  That's not really spiral galaxy exactly, but I was reminded of it by your post. It's also probably geographical nonsense, but there's already been a little insanity in this thread so I figured I toss in mine  :)

Hey, finally had to make an account to share this.

So I just got back from a signing with Sanderson. He's been teasing us with this secret hidden in the map of Roshar for a while, so I asked him if I was correct in thinking that Roshar looked like a spiral galaxy. He told me I was on to something that no one had asked before, so we have something here. I followed that up with a slight question about this potentially being due to people being able to manipulate gravity on Roshar (thinking of black holes in galaxy centers), but he said that wasn't correct, but my earlier point still was. That was all I got from Sanderson.

I got to thinking about the Horneater pool (shardpool?) that we've been theorizing Hoid used to come to this world. What if Roshar serves as a hub world of sorts, with physical locations (like that pool) serving as links to certain planets that align to that location in the galaxy? It's tentative, but it's the route I'm thinking.

It's funny how I always come up with the same ideas about 5 posts after someone else talks about it :D :D

I was looking at images of the galactic core and came up with this.  It looks suspiciously familiar :)

post-9100-0-00021500-1395369982_thumb.jp

lol I didn't think you were being critical, just curious :)

Like I said, I keep thinking of things and then coming here to post about them 5 minutes after someone else does, so I was already thinking of spiral galaxies.

Also whether I can remember what the Seanchan continent from WoT looked like, possibly find a ying/yang symbol to superimpose over Roshar, whether Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana has any clues and why I can seem to sleep....