Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

If anyone wanted a clearer look at it. Although insufficient coffee meant I didn't clean the borders up.

Edit: Although I wouldn't expect to get much from it, considering I'm pretty sure it literally reads "SasassasaS"

Does look a bit like Kholinar, but that could well be my brain finding patterns in two shapes with triangular symmetry.

post-9914-0-37614500-1395318536_thumb.jp

Edited by mossyfisk

If anyone wanted a clearer look at it. Although insufficient coffee meant I didn't clean the borders up.

Edit: Although I wouldn't expect to get much from it, considering I'm pretty sure it literally reads "SasassasaS"

Does look a bit like Kholinar, but that could well be my brain finding patterns in two shapes with triangular symmetry.

Are you looking at the small glyph in between the black ones when you are doing this "SASASSASAS" translation, I havent been able to see it close enough to know what the little white glyph means ?

post-9547-0-38202900-1395323298_thumb.pn

Edited by PunSpren

Yikes, good work by all here. Climate wise I would suspect that Roshar has a wobble in its rotation which could help account seasonal flux. The Frostlands would have to be near a pole or equator considering that they are one of the least affected areas on the map (According to Shallan) by seasonal flux. My bet would be a pole, but I'm by no means an expert.

I'm confused about the alignment of the map.

The black and white map offers a compass point looking normal--due north. This is odd because the climate apparent in the colored physical map does not align with the north/south alignment indicated by the compass.

The Frostlands are at the bottom-right corner. Isn't it strange that the lands directly west of the Frostlands--but on the same assumed latitude--are brown, instead of whitish gray? That they are more temperate, in spite of their same approximate distance from the assumed south pole?

But if we ignore the compass point and twist the map clockwise just slightly, something interesting happens. The Frostlands are appropriately at the bottom of the map, reflecting an accurate climate for their location. The kingdoms of Azir, Tukar, Marat, and others are pretty arid, fitting for an equatorial location. The kingdom of Shinovar is in a temperate zone somewhere beyond the equator, and the grayish-blue of Aimia and Iri are above that, indicating a return to a colder climate.

Maybe the Rosharan mapmakers have presupposed their coordinates incorrectly.

Or maybe I've gone loony. Either way, does that give us something worth thinking about? Are we assuming too much? Remember what Brandon pulled on Scadrial...

I also think I remember somewhere on here that a recent WoB was that the north the Alethi indicate on their maps may not be the true north…and since these are in world Alethi maps, I can see this as being accurate...

Okay guys, you need to talk with luke.spence

We went to the signing last night and asked Brandon about this. I don't remember the exact answer (Luke's the one who asked), but basically Brandon said that the easter egg is on the main Roshar map (in any version of it--TWoK or WoR) and that it is NOT the compass rose.

He also made a comment about it being really hard to find and not being a super huge thing, which was ... disappointing. lol

Yikes, good work by all here. Climate wise I would suspect that Roshar has a wobble in its rotation which could help account seasonal flux. The Frostlands would have to be near a pole or equator considering that they are one of the least affected areas on the map (According to Shallan) by seasonal flux. My bet would be a pole, but I'm by no means an expert.

Roshar actually has no axial tilt. Highstorms are apparently responsible for the seasonal craziness.

Here's what I got for you guys last night. The wording on these isn't exact, but this is exactly what he conveyed to me.

Q: Which map holds the Easter Egg?

A: The main map of Roshar. 

Q: From which book?

A: Either book, it's the main one that will go in each copy. It's VERY hard and it won't change a whole lot.

Q: Does it have anything to do with the compass?

A: Not the compass.

Edited by Luke.spence

Thanks, Luke.  Now we know that it is the B&W Roshar map.  It should be noted though that the map in the books does not exactly correspond to the image of the map on Brandon's website.  Namely, the degrees are not on the map on Brandon's Site.  But, fortunately, the hashmarks for the latitudes lines are there.

Edited by Shardlet

luke, not your fault lol!  It's still good to know, even though we're all apparently too dense to get it ;)

Ryshadium, kind of focus your eyes on the middle of the continent, and relax them a little.  The dragon's head is the southern half of Alethkar and the Frostlands, the big lake there is the eye, and the two big wedges of the Frostlands are its jaws.

Spinning around in circles a few times will also help ;)

I noticed that early on and thought I posted it but obviously not. It made me laugh. Maybe he has a basis for his cockiness. Maybe the Shulins and the Kholins have a centuries old feud and Isasik is really just trying to win back control of Alethkar