Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

I probably would too if I were him.  Ok, so the numbers are relevant.  They aren't straight longitude, because this map is actually tilted based on the real geography of Roshar.  I think.  Maybe. I give up. Also, the numbers are different on the top and bottom I think, though I am heavily basing this on the (incorrect) transcription above.

Do the lines on the map point to specific numbers? 

Um...your numbers aren't in the right place. And yes, it matters. :)

Yeah.... I just slapped two lines of text on there real quick to make it clear they were numbers. Didn't have time to align the characters properly...  :unsure:   

(sorry folks!)

Um...your numbers aren't in the right place. And yes, it matters. :)

Yeah, the top numbers start going off at 15-21 and none of the bottom numbers are in the right place.  The heavy gray lines are latitude and longitude.  The two zeros should be connected by the right-vertical grey line, tens by the center grey line, and 20s by the left grey line.

The red lines are lines between roses.

Edit:   .|| = 20; .| = 10; and . = 0

Edited by Shardlet

maybe we can use them to extrapolate the rest of the longitudinal lines?  I can see from the extreme tilt of the lines that the bottom of Roshar is verrry near the south pole.

Also the compass roses seem to always be on at least one major long or lat line and often both.

Edit:  I wonder if the compass on the main Roshar color map marks the Southern Pole?

Edited by RShara

maybe we can use them to extrapolate the rest of the longitudinal lines?  I can see from the extreme tilt of the lines that the bottom of Roshar is verrry near the south pole.

Also the compass roses seem to always be on at least one major long or lat line and often both.

Hmm, yes, exactly what I was thinking. I lack the practical experience to do it, however. Maybe if work stays this slow, I can learn cartography...

I was thinking the SAME THING Ryshadium! I remember a long time ago a statement saying that we'd see more about a different region of Scadrial at some point. I just don't know if you could have the two different types of magic systems on the same planet, but in different regions.

Also, although it seems likely that the "dates" in the Chapter 88 epigraph are actually dates, could they correspond to map locations instead? I only ask because the comment below says that they "appear" to be a sequence of dates. I am NOT map knowledgeable, so I could be totally wrong. But thought I'd throw it out there!

Maybe Roshar is really the missing southern part of Scadrial. 

Nope.  We have already been told that Roshar has a single continent.  Brandon left it open though that there may be some smaller islands and such out there.  But, the landmass on the maps is most of the landmass on Roshar.

It would certainly explain why Nazh is running around annotating maps only on Scadrial and Roshar ;)

Ryshadium, on 18 Mar 2014 - 3:47 PM, said:

snapback.png

Maybe Roshar is really the missing southern part of Scadrial. 

Nope.  We have already been told that Roshar has a single continent.  Brandon left it open though that there may be some smaller islands and such out there.  But, the landmass on the maps is most of the landmass on Roshar.

It was (mostly) a joke :) Would be quite the trick on Brandon's part if it were true though. 

Edited by Ryshadium

But, it also cannot be since we know that the southern continent peoples of Scadrial use the metallic arts as well.  Just in a different manner than the northern continent peoples.  And surgebinding is definitely not an aspect of the metallic arts.

Edited by Shardlet

Edit:  I wonder if the compass on the main Roshar color map marks the Southern Pole?

Assuming you mean the WoR Endpaper map, I doubt it. I mean, I can't be sure how similar to Earth's South Pole Roshar's would be, but If the compass is the South Pole, all the land around there should be basically uninhabitable, and there seem to be a lot of nations in that region.

Besides, I don't think the longitudinal lines would converge there (though I'd need to do more than eyeball it to say for sure.)

One thing that does have me curious--how much of the continent is contained in the Western Hemisphere? If it takes a highstorm ~1 day to cover the whole continent but a week or more to circle back around, that suggests that there's a LOT of ocean out there, but the longitude markings on are making it seem like there isn't enough room to account for the lulls in highstorm. At least, not if they're just circling the planet at a roughly constant rate.

Assuming you mean the WoR Endpaper map, I doubt it. I mean, I can't be sure how similar to Earth's South Pole Roshar's would be, but If the compass is the South Pole, all the land around there should be basically uninhabitable, and there seem to be a lot of nations in that region.

Besides, I don't think the longitudinal lines would converge there (though I'd need to do more than eyeball it to say for sure.)

One thing that does have me curious--how much of the continent is contained in the Western Hemisphere? If it takes a highstorm ~1 day to cover the whole continent but a week or more to circle back around, that suggests that there's a LOT of ocean out there, but the longitude markings on are making it seem like there isn't enough room to account for the lulls in highstorm. At least, not if they're just circling the planet at a roughly constant rate.

You're probably right.  I was looking at the tilt of the number line rather than the long. lines at first.  Still, I'd like to see the Long+Lat together on the worldmap

Hmm the mid NW compass seems to correspond to the shield/stamp on the Alethkar map here.

http://coppermind.net/w/images/Alethkar.jpg

And the outline of that shield looks a bit like the outline of the crab-thing discussed earlier...

Edited by RShara

That is incredible cool.  And now looks even more like a dragon (the eye is the lake below Alethkar, the maw is the Frostlands), and she's about to eat Thaylenar!

Edited by RShara