Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

It's a drain.  The land mass is slowly going down the drain.  There's no plate tectonics, which means an empty core.  We already know that the gravity is slightly less than on Earth (due to a lower mass).  The only reason that the land mass is still there is the deposits of crem from the highstorms.  The Highstorms are saving the world, not destroying it.

Brandon once said that "Are Shardblades Crem" was a good question.  This is because the matter that they are created from are both from sources not of the world.

One thing I noticed is, Roshar is pretty much symetrical, almost perfectly, until you take into account Aimia. Aimia is the island that throws off the symettry. 

Maybe it actually is a place of the Voidbringers.

Roshar is pretty much symmetrical, but Aimia doesn't fit..... This seems exactly like Shallan's puzzle with finding the oathgate?

From the WoB page:

Shicaca

Q: I was looking at the map of Roshar and it kinda looked like a spiral galaxy to me, like it was flipping a certain way.

A: That was intentional. You are on to something that no one's figured out yet.

Q: I was thinking it could be connected to people being able to manipulate gravity.

A: It's not exactly what you think you're on to, but you're getting close to something that they've all wanted to know for a while.

We also have:

Can you give me a hint in the easter egg in the map of Roshar? What particular skill do you need for it? Is it a different language or math related?

A: It's not linguistics. It is math related. Let me remind you this is not going to be a mind blowing revelation. It is going to be a nifty thing. Someone actually got close at one of my signings. They noticed something. But it is a fun easter egg that will tell you more about the history of the world.

This thread is 24 pages long so I'm sure someone noted this, but the Purelake is nearly symmetrical. I don't have time right now to do this, but I would start here trying to apply some mathematic concepts around this mid point. Perhaps by folding it over on itself, you can see a size correlation perhaps. I'm just throwing it out there, because I'm exhausted tonight, but aren't the people of the eastern part of this land taller in general than those of the western? Perhaps there is some absurd mathematical correlation to this and the landmass? Maybe the landmass in the east is just larger due to the crem and the highstorm potency at that point. Anyway, crackpot attempt.

Edited by Crazy Mraize

What's befuddled me a lot is how in the world does Roshar have mountains if it has no plate tectonics. All natural ways of forming mountains require tectonics (with the exception of craters). Thus, either two very large meteors hit far in the past, or the continent is crem buildup on something else (with the mountains being related to that something else). But neither of those seem to be what Brandon was hinting at.

Maybe the first people of Roshar built massive cities to deflect the storms.  Then overtime the crem grew.  Kind of like a shield wall.

Perhaps the orientation of the mountains is important. 

It's a drain.  The land mass is slowly going down the drain.  There's no plate tectonics, which means an empty core.  We already know that the gravity is slightly less than on Earth (due to a lower mass).  The only reason that the land mass is still there is the deposits of crem from the highstorms.  The Highstorms are saving the world, not destroying it.

Brandon once said that "Are Shardblades Crem" was a good question.  This is because the matter that they are created from are both from sources not of the world.

Hello, first post! Don't eat me alive :D

I wonder if there's something to it. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about geology or physics or anything science-y, but we do know the Purelake drains every highstorm--I wonder if the two are connected? 

Hello, first post! Don't eat me alive :D

I wonder if there's something to it. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about geology or physics or anything science-y, but we do know the Purelake drains every highstorm--I wonder if the two are connected? 

Given the position of the purelake, I doubt it could be coincidence.  Assuming I'm right.  Good catch - I forgot about it draining.  Also, it might have something to do with why the land and sea are switched in Shadesmar?  

Maybe the first people of Roshar built massive cities to deflect the storms.  Then overtime the crem grew.  Kind of like a shield wall.

Perhaps the orientation of the mountains is important. 

I wonder if the mountains have anything to do with the Dawnsingers. If I remember correctly, Kholinar is a Dawncity, and it has weird rock blades running through it.

Maybe they built Walls? Although massive walls the size of mountains seem implausible to me (But I don't know the maths/science so my opinion on that might not account for much).

It could have something to do with Desolations, maybe? 

I know! The secret is that all of Roshar is four Chulls on the back of a massive Greatshell swimming through a spiral galaxy!

Sorry, don't have time to read the entire thread, has any thoughts been put into the fact that if you cut Roshar in half vertically and rotate one of the halves 180 degrees that they appear to be very similar in shape and the geographical locations of islands, hills and lakes?

They seem almost identical especially if you consider that (iirc) the highstorms drop more crem when they first make landfall and that the discrepancies may be due to additional crem deposits on the eastern half and erosion on the western?

Edited by Brendan

RShara: aaah thanks, if that's the case why did Peter make the comment about the numbers on the (Amaram's?) shattered plains map and state that they are important, there are no numbers on the black and white maps, not latitudinal ones at least.

Brendan: Yea Brendan a few people talked about diagonal symmetry, you should read the entire thread though it's a great way to pass an hour and the Spherical images are particularly impressive as are the comparison gifs. However you mentioned something I find strange too, the stormward side of the continent should be the more badly eroded (as per all the observations about the shattered plains) acting as a windbreak for the leeward side, which should accrue more crem.

My problem is as someone (RShara?) stated, the map of the Silver Kingdoms which is 4500 years old has hardly changed at all except for some missing islands, and that could be stylistic as the same islands are missing their counterpart lakes on the Shadesmar map.

I could maybe begin to see the whole continent as travelling westward across the globe eternally, as the ground is eroded in the East and deposited in the West. But the lack of change in 4500 years stymies that thought. Besides which I don't recall any evidence of Storms in the visions, do we know if the storms only began when Honor was splintered?

Map is basically a hurricane symbol from the weather channel. Perhaps created by two high storms colliding. In the center, at urithiru. Also, the fact that in shadesmar has the sea where the land is in the physical realm jives with the fact that shallan always seems to sink when entering shadesmar over land but not on the ship out at sea.

The colored map appears to be on a concave canvas, like its rolled up on the inside of a pipe based on the patterns on the side.

Do we know for sure what hemisphere Roshar is in? Since crem from highstorms caused (at least partly) the shape of the continent, we should be able to tell the direction of rotation of the highstorms based on the shape. It looks to me like clockwise, but I could be wrong. This would mean either Roshar is in the northern hemisphere or it's in the south and the planet rotates the opposite way to the Earth.

Also, Brandon's response to the question about Roshar looking like a spiral galaxy makes me think it could have something to do with how spiral galaxies get their shape. The only relevant information I could is that the stars inside a spiral galaxy are the oldest, and the ones outside the youngest. Perhaps Roshar started out as a small central landmass and spread out more and more?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Wherethewindgoes

It's in the Southern Hemisphere. Water is freezing in the south and very warm in the north, and even further south there's a polar ice cap. A polar ice cap close enough that even Rosharan sailors, who stick close enough to the shore to get back in case of a highstorm, can reach it.

I posted this elsewhere because I didn't know this thread was around.

Crazy question/theory. Why is Roshar the shape of a storm? In WoR we saw floating islands. It looks like those islands appear to be part of the map of Roshar and of Shadesmar. So they look permanent. Does all of Roshar float? And in turn take the shape of the storm? Will it change now there are two storms

Shaggai, I was actually thinking perhaps it was fractal related myself.  I was browsing through WoB last week and he said it was something mathematical (phrased it differently, though).  I was wondering if it could originally have been a tessellation, but that would mean that there would have to have been changes to the landmass over time from high storms.  But I think I like your fractal idea better! 

Wait, which post is getting closer???

exactly what I was thinking, arrrrwwwww

If it's fractal related the dragon curve (really is it's name) seems like a good fit. but the vortex similarity is also a very strong, but is more loosly tied to math (in the obvious sense).