Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

If I had a good enough printer, I would print out 2 full maps of roshar, cut out the water parts and see if I could make it fit like a jigsaw. It looks like if you take off the major part of Jah Keved, Alethkar, and the Frostlands and flip it upside down, it would fit in the Reshi Isles.

Nexus of transition and nexus of imagination. What is it about these two areas that make them use the word nexus (a connection or series of connections linking two or more things.)? And what is the meaning behind naming them transition (change) and imagination (kind of speaks for itself)?

BTW, these two places are on the Shadesmar map.

I kind of wish pattern was real and next to me, he could probably figure this out while I stare at the maps with a blank stare and drooling. Or maybe rocking in a corner mumbling "all these squares make a circle" because my mind has broken.

Edit: quick question (and little hint help) is it on WoK Roshar map, Shadesmar map, map of Shalan's landfall, or WoR Roshar map?

Edited by Grayv

I am looking at the old map and the new black and white map and the only thing I see different really is the misted mountains.

Also, I never realized before that Roshar the continent is in the Southern Hemisphere. Otherwise, I may be going nuts, and the map to focus on might be the colored one.

I am looking at the old map and the new black and white map and the only thing I see different really is the misted mountains.

Also, I never realized before that Roshar the continent is in the Southern Hemisphere. Otherwise, I may be going nuts, and the map to focus on might be the colored one.

There's a couple other names that have been added in the color one. Berizhet, in Liafor. Zawfix, in Azir. But as far as I know these aren't particularly important. </shrug>

That's a good use of work hours ;)

Ryshadium, on 17 Mar 2014 - 3:26 PM, said:snapback.png

There's a couple other names that have been added in the color one. Berizhet, in Liafor. Zawfix, in Azir. But as far as I know these aren't particularly important. </shrug>

I was referring to the two black and white maps (one from WoK and one from WoR).  The colored one has more details, and the weird compass rose, and a few other oddities.  I think it's probably the one to focus on, but I am often wrong. 

Edited by Ryshadium

probably nothing but has anyone else noticed that there are only two lakes? and that both are at the center of the land spirals? 

(Yes I know there is the pure lake, but if you notice, the shardsmar map puts mountain things inside the pure lake but leaves the other two alone...

Yep - looks like Roshar extends from around 10°N to 70°S. The Reshi Isles sit right around the equator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zBC2dvERM&t=2m50s

Edited by Harakeke

The Silver Kingdoms map is slightly different from the modern map, though I'm not sure if it's just artistic license/difference in resolution. For example above Jah Keved/Rishir there is a chain of 4 islands in the modern map while it's only 3 islands in the Silver Kingdoms map. The upper island sequence is also much more broken up in the modern map (there are two rows of islands on the NE section instead of one). Might be explained by just not showing the smaller islands in the Silver Kingdoms map, however.

Yea, so going to print all three maps tomorrow at work and then figure out a way to spend my day folding and overlaying them. 

Epileptics beware:

http://gfycat.com/ExaltedReliableBaiji#?format=gif

http://gfycat.com/FlippantClearBlacklemur

you can go "video mode" and play with the green ball thingie to pause the frame 

Edited by Maresia

I tend to say that the Shadesmar map is made from the viewpoint you would had when you were on one of the Rosharian moons / the sun-like thing in shadesmar's sky.

Another observation.. the reshi sea is surrounded by either mainland or a island chain. If those islands aren't of vulcanic origin ( and i heavily doubt that ) then there is roughly one third of the mass of the former supercontinent missing, because i doubt that any continent could have a body of water that is bigger than 40% of its expansion.

The colored map of Roshar looks like it was taken from a circular or rounded room. Maybe a temple or church? It is what is making the design look warped in places I think.

I am still curious what the symbol next to the cartographers signature is. Is it a feruchemical symbol? I don't know those well.

Here is something interesting on the two page B&W map from WoK.  You'll notice that at approximately 0, 23, 35, 47, and 68 degrees latitude that there is a double mark at the sides of the map.  If you put lines at these marks you see that these lines appear to approximate the equator, the tropics, and the arctic and antarctic circles here on Earth.  Yet, we know that the numerical degrees listed certainly imply that most of continental Roshar is in the southern hemisphere.  As further evidence of this, we see that the Reashi see and isles (as shown in the Rysn interlude) are substantially tropical while the Frostlands are...well, called the Frostlands.  So...what could these particular lines of latitude represent?

I've probably been spending way too much time thinking about these maps, but here are a few things I've been pondering. 

I'm not sure if this has already been discovered, but I think I found a good candidate for the exact location of Urithiru on the Silver Kingdoms map:

post-10141-0-69224000-1395103562_thumb.j

This seems like the perfect place to me. It's directly between Tu Bayla and Triax in modern Roshar (which roughly corresponds to what the scholars determined from the height of the sun) and in the Silver Kingdoms era it doesn't sit within any particular nations borders (similar to Washington DC in the US, except with states instead of nations). There's also some really nice looking mountain ranges, and it looks plausible for Szeth to travel from there to Vedenar or Kharbranth in a relatively short amount of time (not really sure if he knew where to find Taravangian at the time). 

Also something that's been bothering me with the Shadesmar map that I haven't seen mentioned: it looks like the "ocean" representing Roshar has been placed directly on top of an existing landscape. It's like someone drew some mountains and then dropped the the outline of Roshar on top of it and called it a day.

So this has me thinking: what if that's literally how Shadesmar works? An existing landscape with these "oceans" of cognitive bead things floating above it?  It's definitely not a direct inversion, since there's mountains where the Purelake is. Maybe Shadesmar was something else before it became the Cognitive Realm? 

There's my idle speculation for the day.

post-10141-0-69224000-1395103562_thumb.j