[SPOILERS]Does anyone find Mistborn Hero of Ages ending one of the saddest?

celpas

I am new to the Cosmere and fantasy genre in general and finished reading the original Mistborn trilogy and the part where they die seems very sad to me.  I have read through Harry Potter, Inheritance Cycle, and Percy Jackson series and none of the endings hit me like a sack of bricks like this one did. In my opinion, at least one of them should have lived. I was expecting Elend to die since the second book but never thought the protagonist herself would die too. The only happy aspect of that ending was Sazed says they are happy wherever they are but we don't actually get to see this conversation which is a bummer. Are all of Brandon's books like this where the main character has no plot armor? 

Edited by celpas

2 hours ago, Alicia Whiteheart said:

I'm sorry, but WHAT?!? Directly from the rules post Re: Spoilers 

Spoiler Policy

Our policy on spoilers depends on what forum you are posting in.

The Brandon News and Discussion and General Dan Discussion forums are non-spoiler forums. You must denote spoiler in the topic title (usually by writing *spoiler* in it), or use spoiler tags.

In General Theories, there are no spoiler notices required, and spoiler tags are extremely discouraged. Read at your own risk.

For an individual book or series forum, spoiler tags must always be used if one is referencing another series (like, if someone is posting in Mistborn, but referencing Stormlight Archive). However, if a book in that series has been out more than six months, spoilers are now permitted in that forum without needing to be tagged. So, for example, there would be a window where Alloy of Law spoilers require a spoiler notification, but a few months later, that would no longer be a problem.

You clicked on a page directly in a subforum for Mistborn about a book nearly a decade old, and want spoiler tags?

Edited by Naurock

38 minutes ago, Naurock said:

I'm sorry, but WHAT?!? Directly from the rules post Re: Spoilers 

You clicked on a page directly in a subforum for Mistborn about a book nearly a decade old, and want spoiler tags?

Edit:  again, my mistake, I'm really very sorry about that.

Edited by Alicia Whiteheart

2 hours ago, Alicia Whiteheart said:

My copy messed up (often does on mobile). I've added the rest of the info from the page. At the end it specifically says after a period (3 months is used as the example).

This is why lurked these forums for so long without posting. This is their first post and you're jumping them for what you perceive to be wrong. You are making a toxic environment. They asked a question, that should completely be in bounds.

Edited by Naurock

21 minutes ago, Naurock said:

My copy messed up (often does on mobile). I've added the rest of the info from the page. At the end it specifically says after a period (3 months is used as the example).

This is why lurked these forums for so long without posting. This is their first post and you're jumping them for what you perceive to be wrong. You are making a toxic environment. They asked a question, that should completely be in bounds.

Sorry about that, I'm not usually this confrontational, as I have been having a really bad day today for reasons I'd rather not go in to in any great detail. (female problems)  I'm very sorry for the way I spoke to you and others in this topic.  Is there a way for me to delete posts?

You can click the Hide button at the top of your post to make it invisible to everyone else, or Report it to a mod and ask them to delete it.

1 hour ago, celpas said:

I am new to the Cosmere and fantasy genre in general and finished reading the original Mistborn trilogy and the part where they die seems very sad to me.  I have read through Harry Potter, Inheritance Cycle, and Percy Jackson series and none of the endings hit me like a sack of bricks like this one did. In my opinion, at least one of them should have lived. I was expecting Elend to die since the second book but never thought the protagonist herself would die too. The only happy aspect of that ending was Sazed says they are happy wherever they are but we don't actually get to see this conversation which is a bummer. Are all of Brandon's books like this where the main character has no plot armor? 

Read Mistborn Era 2 (Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning), then read Secret History. Secret History will make you feel a lot better :)

And Brandon is definitely willing to put his main characters through the wringer, and no one really has plot armor. But primary character deaths don't generally happen (so far).

11 minutes ago, Alicia Whiteheart said:

Sorry about that, I'm not usually this confrontational, as I have been having a really bad day today for reasons I'd rather not go in to in any great detail. (female problems)  I'm very sorry for the way I spoke to you and others in this topic.  Is there a way for me to delete posts?

Tbh, I'm not very confrontational either. I'm glad this didn't spiral and it ended cordially. I guess it just triggered me a bit. Hope you have a good rest of your day and things get better.

2 minutes ago, Naurock said:

Tbh, I'm not very confrontational either. I'm glad this didn't spiral and it ended cordially. I guess it just triggered me a bit. Hope you have a good rest of your day and things get better.

I really hate myself for things like this.  I'm glad as well, and wish you the same.  Harmony bless you. :)  and same goes for the topic creator as well.

I’m happy they didn’t have plot armor. The death of Vin and Elend makes the story a lot stronger. That said, most of his other endings aren’t written by GRRM :-)

As a sidenote, I find the Inheritance ending sadder. Spoilers:

Spoiler

I hate the ”going away never to return” end they did there. 

34 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I’m happy they didn’t have plot armor. The death of Vin and Elend makes the story a lot stronger. That said, most of his other endings aren’t written by GRRM :-)

Hide contents

I agree on this. It was stronger story. I think it was kind of sad.

2 hours ago, celpas said:

Try reading Mistborn Secret History. It does halp a bit about sadness.

Are all of Brandon's books like this where the main character has no plot armor? 

I thought Sanderson is one of the more milder authors in terms of character deaths. If you read series like Malazan you will weep

I think this is specifically the case of Mistborn Trilogy since the setting and the conceptualization itself is meant to be dark. Personally i think it's so well-done and the grave deaths added to the ending. 

On 5/19/2018 at 1:38 PM, celpas said:

Are all of Brandon's books like this where the main character has no plot armor? 

That depends on how you describe Plot Armor.

The definition I'm finding is "a situation where it strains credibility to believe that the character would survive." So far, I don't think we've had any situations like that. If you feel like the injuries sustained would kill the character, they do. If they survive, there is always an explanation rooted in a healing power/magical enhancement. I can't think of any examples of non-powered individuals surviving something they shouldn't.

But if you just mean "main character deaths," there haven't been too many of those so far(though most of the series aren't completed yet, so we'll see)

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Solarserpent said:

The entire Mistborn era 1 trilogy is sad as intended. The ending was appropriate. Mistborn 2 era is more jovial though still serious and sad at times. 

Yeah, Mistborn era 2 is "funnier", but Bleeder's death also hit me hard

On 5/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

Reveal hidden contents

I like Inheritance, but re-reading it I noticed that it really has the same plot line as Star Wars.

21 hours ago, Solarserpent said:

The entire Mistborn era 1 trilogy is sad as intended. The ending was appropriate. Mistborn 2 era is more jovial though still serious and sad at times. 

Definitely agree, the banter between Wax and Wayne kills m, "Spoiled Tomato". Help me get over Ear 1 ending.

On 19/05/2018 at 8:52 PM, RShara said:

Read Mistborn Era 2 (Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning), then read Secret History. Secret History will make you feel a lot better :)

Spoiler

Disagree, i didn't feel better. Just as i thought i was over the Era 1 ending, I have to relive it all knowing Kelsier is still making moves. Always another secret i guess.

Brandon has a way of lifting you up with hope and excitement then bringing it all crashing down with such emotional impact. The endings of his books are fantastic yet crushing and that's part of what makes him a truly inspirational writer.

• Chaos locked this topic