A possible way for Wayne and Steris to bomd.

animalia

I was rereading one of the scenes where Wayne gets into a disguise, and how as he did it he tried to start thinking like the other person. It struck me that learning about this could be a good way for Steris to bond with him. As someone with Asperger’s Syndrome since we never know what other people are thinking our default mode is to imagine how it would feel like if we were treated like other people. In a way you could say it’s similar to what Wayne does when he tries on accents. It’s a method of trying to connect. (It’s not 100% perfect obviously)

Speaking of I think that’s one of the problems she has with Wayne is that he acts so erratically it’s hard to put herself in his place. We get to see into his head so we have a good insight into what makes him tick, but Steris doesn’t.

Ironically I wouldn’t be surprised if the two of them get along fairly well once they find that connecting point. When you stop to think about it, they both have wry observations on society. Wayne’s are just cloaked in colorful metaphors that only make sense once you get to know him. And while some of us (people with Asperger’s) have trouble with Asperger’s Syndrome have trouble with metaphors and wordplay, NOT ALL of us do. In fact for many of us our sense of humor is based around wordplay. I believe that Steris is one of those.

She has been demonstrated to use sarcasm, “Like that wouldn’t be embarrassing!”

And even responded to one of Wayne’s quips in kind.

Wayne, “Hello, crazy!”

Steris, “Hello, stupid!”

So yeah I think once the ice gets broken that they would get along.

I think that Wayne's biggest problem is that until the end of BoM he's completely convinced that what Wax needs in his life is a second Lessie, which is why he liked the idea of Wax and Marasi becoming an item and didn't like Steris; too different. Now that Wax and Steris are married (and even Wayne can see that they love each other) I suspect he'll start to come around and put a little effort into understanding Steris.

On 5/17/2018 at 0:34 PM, Weltall said:

I think that Wayne's biggest problem is that until the end of BoM he's completely convinced that what Wax needs in his life is a second Lessie, which is why he liked the idea of Wax and Marasi becoming an item and didn't like Steris; too different. Now that Wax and Steris are married (and even Wayne can see that they love each other) I suspect he'll start to come around and put a little effort into understanding Steris.

If what you say is true then I REALLY look forward to their interactions in the future. Like I said they BOTH have wry observations on society, and I think Wayne would like exchanging observations with her once he is in a mood to appreciate them.

Heck I think they might even find agreement on how stupid we can be as a society sometimes.

Edited by animalia

Also I bet once Steris realizes the kind of pain Wayne is in she is quite likely to empathize with him. She might even apologize for not even noticing it before. In fact the more that I think about it they are both two of the more caring and empathetic characters. Just in very different ways.

I guess what I am saying is hope they eventually form their own odd friendship. Just like Wax and Wayne did.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, Weltall said:

I agree. I don't think they'll get along completely because that's one of the most comedic aspects of the books. He will respect her as Wax's wife, but wayne will always be wayne :D  

On 5/17/2018 at 11:34 AM, Weltall said:

I agree. After all, the only reason Wayne is so comfortable around Wax is because they’ve known each other for 10+ years and Wayne feels like he understands what Wax wants. Wayne just hides his unfamiliarity between Steris is through humor and mild insults. Now that he knows Wax is comfortable with her, he’ll probably through another perspective. 

Anyone else want to see the two of them trade wry social commentary?

I keep thinking back to Steris’ comment in the first book about how it’s not who you invite, but who you DON’T invite. And that people even go out of the way to invite some outright degenerates to say, we’d still rather be around them with you. And all I can think is that if Wayne and Steris got along better Wayne’s response to that would be.

”Seems like an awful lot of trouble just to insult somebody?”

And Steris would probably agree.

I’d love to see something along those lines from them in the next book. That being said I don’t mind if they continue to have some good natured bickering as well. To continue the earlier example,  would each probably pick the other as their choice for degenarate. But still all in all you have too charcters who are full of wry social observations and commentary and you haven’t matched them up against each other yet? These interactions are begging to happen.

• Chaos locked this topic