Tension on the Horizon

Lord Meeker

Questionnaire  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Did you participate in Calm Before the Storm?

2. 2. Are you going to participate in Phase 2: TotH?

3. 3. Did you enjoy reading or participating in Phase 1: CBtS

• It was excellent! :D
    • It was good! :)
    • It was okay :l
    • It was bad! :(
    • It was horrible! D:
    • I honestly had no clue what was going on

Soul finished the entire 16 foot high cake, since no one else seemed to want any. After that, he started wandering around when a whole lot of weirdness that seemed to break the cosmere happened, and then seemed to unhappen. 

“I’m to tired for this.” He thought, lashing himself into the distance to his hidden home, to sleep off the cake. “Is Lopen dead or not, or did he just unaccend? This is too confusing.”

Lopen felt a tugging sensation. Over the years he gad invested so much in waffle batter that it called to him. He returned to existence as a ghost, lightly overturning a nearby bit of batter. His translucent figure scared a nearby goat. 'Where am I?!' he shouted, his voice sounding different.

Lopen was a troubled individual, hiding his insecurities behind a quip. His death is not the fault of Mac's tone, but partially due to his laziness and unwillingness to retcon everything. And he is truly dead.

Edited by LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian

Interlude

Spoiler

1 month after Kane and Rhazien's duel

Kane strolled down the streets of Isopin, feeling angry. Anger at himself, for being so stupid as to let Rhazien win that duel. No. Stop thinking that. You didn't let him win. you didn't have a choice. You were going down anyway. Kane grumbled, also feeling angry at Shelan. The man was legendary among certain circles, and was Kane's worst enemy. He was the head of the Trellurgists, an organization bent on dominating Scadrial. Shelan was originally a weakling, a mere Duralumin Gnat. He had spiked many, gaining Allomantic Tin, Pewter, Brass, and Zinc. Using duralumin and brass on any one of the many Hemalurgically spiked servants he had acquired over time gave him control of them. Kane himself was one that was spiked. His constant stream of Electrum Determination allowed him to resist Shelan's control, but it was difficult. Kane continued down the street, moody and upset. He finally reached his destination, a sphere shop. Despite disliking Stormlight in general, he needed it for emergencies, but only for emergencies. The last time he had used any was for using Adhesion on that one guy. In Kane's defense, the man tried to rob him. He was stuck to the wall for a while. Now he was stuck in prison. He exchanged several Scadrian boxings for about ten spheres. Suddenly, a young boy rushed into the shop, with a piece of paper in hand. 

"Sir, I have a message for you." Kane grabbed the piece of paper and read it. He gasped as he read: 'Kane. You know who this is from.' Kane growled. what was Shelan doing, sending Kane messages? 'I have captured someone of great importance to you. Her name is Minag.' Kane gasped, putting his hand to his mouth. 'You have a week to turn yourself into me before she dies. Starting.... now!' Kane yelled in anger. He threw the paper up into the air and Soulcast it into flame. He charged out wordlessly.

2 days later

Kane checked the spanreeds again. Still no response from either Lita or Tikor. Kane had a sinking feeling that he would have to rescue his beloved Minag... alone. 

3 days later

This was the day. The day he rescued Minag. He stood behind a rock near the entrance to the Trellurgist base. He nervously drew his dagger, preparing himself mentally. he had no time to do ChayShan, so he would have to resort to Electrum, both Allomantic and Feruchemical. He put away distracting thoughts in his Copperminds and stepped out from behind his hiding place. Then, a guard, obviously burning bronze to find Allomancers, saw Kane. No going back now. He charged forward, rolling under the guard's sword and coming up behind. He placed his hand on the man's back and said: "Become Electrum." The man suddenly transformed, collapsing on the ground, now a statue. Kane smiled grimly and turned. As he walked into the building, he encountered no resistance, no one at all. This made Kane both anxious and depressed. He liked being around people, even if he would have to kill them later. As he continued, Kane began to realize something was wrong, however, someone from the shadows charged him. The man extended his arm, and vines suddenly shot at Kane. They grappled him, slamming him against the wall. A chuckle came from the nearby corridors. Shelan stepped in. Kane, bounded, was unable to fight. Shelan removed Kane's daggers, his metalminds, his Soulcaster, his spheres, his utility belt... everything. Kane had no Electrum left, and was pinned against the wall. Chuckling, Shelan focused on Kane, clearly trying to break into Kane's mind. Kane tried and failed to resist. An overwhelming sense of peace overcame Kane, and he no longer could move. The man who held Kane released him, though Kane couldn't move nonetheless. Kane stood up, according to Shelan's will. He followed the man down the hallway, walking stiffly and breathing shallowly. Shelan turned and permitted Kane to speak. Kane unleashed a string of curses and, of course, compliments, because Kane was being controlled by the man, still. Shelan wrinkled his nose, frowning. "That wasn't very nice. Rip out your spike halfway." Kane did, gritting his teeth at the pain. He groaned agonizingly, feeling the tremendous waves of pain move through his body. Shelan placed a dagger in Kane's hand. Kane gripped it, and followed him, unable to resist. They stepped into a small, dingy, room, and Kane was finally able to gasp. Minag was chained to the wall. Kane attempted to move toward her, but couldn't. She looked up. Kane sighed longingly. "Kill her." Shelan said coldly.

One week later

Kane awoke with a start. And the first thing he felt was pain, immense pain. Where was it coming from? Certainly it couldn't come from nowhere... 

Suddenly, his senses and his memories rushed back to him. He closed his eyes, to block off the blaring light. What had happened?

He remembered. Shelan had found him again, for the first time in many years. And... Shelan had controlled his mind. Forced him to do awful things. Kane... had killed Minag, hadn't he? No. This couldn't be happening. He'd been left for dead, bleeding from dozens of injuries, his spike half-ripped out. But he'd... survived? How had that happened?

"Stormlight." A soft voice answered.

"Quin? Kane asked, voice trembling. "I... broke my Oath. Did awful things. Killed a defenseless woman." Defenseless... And the only woman I've ever loved. Kane added mentally. 

"Not true." Quin whispered. "You were under Shelan's control. You couldn't do anything." 

"Quin. Don't you understand? I KILLED Minag!"

"Kane..."

"Stop. I don't want to talk anymore." Kane rolled onto his side. "Go away." He inhaled deeply, then sighed. Strangely, a puff of light was released as he exhaled. That's odd... Kane thought, observing the cloud of energy. Wait a minute. Kane glanced down at his chest. His pain... was gone. His wounds... were healed. In that moment, Kane at last realized the full extent and power of Stormlight. 

"Rusts... I really am a Radiant, aren't I?"

"Well, not quite." Quin replied. "You can use Adhesion, though you haven't yet tried much. Soon, however, when you swear your Second Ideal, you will indeed be a Radiant, with the powers of Gravitation at your will as well."

"Well, for now, I must use what I have." Kane began to slowly rotate his arms. He again closed his eyes. He stood up, gradually speeding the rotation. He opened his eyes whilst rotating his arms. The room around him was entirely made of stone, and there was no door or apparent exit. His prison cell until Shelan required his "services" again. If he did. He closed his eyes once more, flowing suddenly into a kata, one he had learned from the JinDo warriors on Sel. Sel. The planet where he had met Mirag. A Teoin who was also Elantrian. But now she was dead, and Kane was the one who killed her. He shoved back his pain, feeling the Dor build up around him. He broke into a sprint, opening his eyes and charging at the wall. He extended his fist. With ease, he obliterated the wall. However, past the wall was the obstacle that was far more difficult to overcome. Shelan and two men, standing there. One of the two was Sidall, a Coinshot with a Lurcher Spike. The second was a Brute Ferring with a spike that doubled his power as a Brute. His name was Aquan. "Hello, Kane." Said Shelan. "So nice of you to join us." Kane jumped back in shock. 

"Quin..." 

"Inhale Stormlight, quick!" Quin shouted. Kane did so, feeling the awesome strength fill his tired bones. With ChayShan AND Stormlight at his fingertips, this would be simple. Childish. He charged Aquan, first. With a slam of his shoulder into Aquan's chest, he... blew the man into pieces. Angrily, Sidall charged Kane. Kane backhanded the man in the face, which... exploded him. Apparently, ChayShan combined with Stormlight was worse than lethal. Kane kept running, after noting than Shelan had run away. 

"Coward!" Kane shouted after him. He continued running. Soon, he had found his daggers, his vials, his metalminds, even his Soulcaster, in a guarded room. Continuing his flight, Kane at last left the building, a trail of destruction and death behind him. 

"Where to next?" Asked Quin. "I have very few allies in the world. But one person who I know might be able to help me...Rhazien."

A week later

Kane had no time to grieve Minag. He had to get away from here, to find Lita or Tikor. His loved ones could help, right? Hopefully. Instead, Kane was jumping through Cultivation's Perpendicularity, hoping to end up on Nalthis. His adopted son, Tikor, lived there, under the watchful eye of Hopeseeker, goddess of children and compassion. She was a young but kind Returned, who used to be a farmer, but had died in an accident with some farm equipment. When Kane emerged, he was somewhere in the Hallandren jungles. For several weeks he traveled, trying to find that blasted city, T'Telir. If it was so big, then why was it so rusting hard to find? Eventually, Kane reached the city and traveled to the Court of Gods. He was greeted by Hopeseeker's high priest, Pingale, an aging man of small but commanding stature. Pingale led him to Hopeseeker's palace. Kane entered, and Tikor, tackled him from the side. Kane laughed, holding his son, feeling happy, for the first time since the duel. Quin showed up and greeted Tikor as well, and Pingale invited them to dinner. They ate, and Kane laughed, enjoying himself, finally. "So, son, do you know where your aunt Lita is?" he eventually asked. Tikor suddenly became highly interested in his fork. "Son?" Kane asked cautiously. The boy began to cry, and mumbled: "Father, I though you knew. She went to Roshar to find you. "And?" Kane asked, hugging Tikor and rubbing his back. "Highstorm." Tikor said. Finally, Kane understood. Lita was dead... as well. 

2 weeks later

Kane charged the Trellurgist lines, killing many. They had entered Nalthis and attacked the Court of Gods a week ago. Kane, along with several Awakeners and an army of Lifeless, battled them for days on end, trying to win. Much of T'Telir had fled, leaving only a few to stay and fight. And they were losing. T'Telir was slowly becoming a city for the Trellurgists. Kane couldn't let them. He heard a scream and turned. Hopeseeker, Tikor, Pingale, and another god, Hopeseeker's husband, Breathuser, an Awakener, were surrounded. At this point, Kane was almost insane. His spike constantly left him in pain. Some of his loved ones were dead. And he was fighting anyone and everyone that tried to kill anyone else he cared about. Right now, that was the Trellurgists. Kane charged, yelling in defiance. Finally, he reached them, though Breathuser had sacrificed his Breath to save Hopeseeker, and Pingale had died saving Tikor. Tikor. The last person Kane truly cared about. Kane rolled in front of the boy, and killed a Trellurgist. Everything that had culminated over the past two months rolled into Kane's mind. You can't protect them all. "Yes, I can!" Kane yelled. "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves!" Stormlight billowed out of Kane in waves, and he became a Full Radiant. Kane Lashed himself up, his newfound freedom apparent. Kane flew at the Trellurgists and with Gravitation, wiped nearly all of the attackers in the vicinity out. It was laughable. Kane Lashed man after man after man every which way. He ChayShanned people in the face, promptly ending lives. His Determination was infinite, his strength unmatched. He was Radiant.

A day later

T'Telir was mostly repopulated, the streets mostly cleaned up. The battle had ended mere hours after Kane swore his oath, in no small part due to him. Hopeseeker had healed a single person with her Breath, saving a life. That life was Tikor's. Tikor had been sent by Kane to a planet called Taldain. Hopefully, the poor boy would be safe there. Kane himself flew through the Cognitive realm freely. His goal was to reach the legendary planet, Aether, soon. Kane knew of several Aetherbound, and also knew that he himself would someday probably need some extra power. His power that he chose was meant to be conservative, so no Hemalurgy. his choice: an Aether. If he could find the planet.

1 month later

Kane had found it, at long last. Aether was a beautiful planet, similar to Scadrial in many ways, most prominent amongst them being its greenness. Kane was excited. But, alas, he would have to find another way home, for his Stormlight was totally depleted. He walked around for some time, greeting people and being generally kind. His friendliness paid off, and he found out how and where to bond an Aether. First, he had to find a Vo-Dari. he walked into an Aedin temple, nearly bouncing with excitement. This was it! This was where he could obtain an Aether. A voice called behind him. "Hello, there!" A man in white robes walked up to Kane. "Hello." Kane replied. "Come with me." the man said. "We have matters to discuss." Soon, they were in the man's office. "I heard reports of a flying man near town." he said. "Care to explain?" Kane groaned. he should have been more careful. He shrugged and told the man his story. 

'And so, now it is my quest to obtain an Amberite Aether." Kane finished. The man nodded. "Are you Vo-Dari?" Kane asked. "Indeed." the man said. "Come with me."

1 week later

Kane dodged the vine, rolling sideways. The priest, who revealed that his name was Oieth, had helped Kane bond the Aether and now, Kane trained. He was actually quite powerful, able to grow a large sword and a full suit of armor with more power to spare. He had proved skillful with the Aether but Oieth claimed Kane still wasn't ready. Kane suspected that really, the man simply enjoyed Kane's company. It was all right, because not only did Kane enjoy training, but he enjoyed Oieth's company, as well. And yet, once again, a messenger suddenly arrived. he handed the message to Kane, who quickly read it. Tikor needed him as soon as possible. Kane turned to Oieth. "Can you send me?" he asked. The man nodded and touched Kane. Suddenly, he stood next to Tikor. "Son?" Kane asked. Tikor blinked, clearly surprised. "Father. I have turned thirteen. I know this is hard for you, but... as you promised, will you return me to Roshar?" 

1 day later

Kane left the building, knowing that he would never see Tikor again. He had always thought Tikor a son, but Tikor thought he was apprenticed to Kane, though did treat him with respect and called Kane father. Kane had lost another loved one. I must find Rhazien. Kane thought. He glanced skyward and flew.

"I personally prefer perfect pairings of candles whenever I make them." D'ave droned on as he pulled some samples out of his briefcase. "I've brought a bounty of banana scented candles. They're our worst seller, so I have to use them up when I can. To make up for it, I asked each guest to bring a monkey." He paused. "I didn't know who you wanted to be there, so I sent out invitations to everyone." D'ave paused for a moment, lost in thought, then shrugged and continued unpacking. The seats were already set up so there wasn't much work that needed to be done to prepare the area. That said, he was considering hiring some professional mourners to make the mod more drab. 

D'ave quickly wrote down a reminder to give everyone a unkeyed gold metalmind. And to check for gluten allergies. One can't be too careful. 

"Now about your coffin... we couldn't get pallbearers on such short notice so we decided to have the corpse crowd-surf its way to the pit. Any burial requests? We do a quality cremation that involves diverting a lava flow. Quite the sight to behold." 

Leya saw the door open. She walked through the door and showed up right next to Lopen's corpse. "Huh. My almost kind-of not really husband is dead. And yet I really don't care. Let's go see why I'm relevant to the plot"

"Wonderful. I'm sure we can borrow some mistbeavers to make a dam to send some lava our way."

D'ave looked at his checklist. He frowned.

"Oh. It appears we don't have anyone lined up to make a speech about you. I suppose we could make it a mad lib, but it would be much more convenient if we had someone who knew you well say a few words."

Just now, Archer said:

"Wonderful. I'm sure we can borrow some mistbeavers to make a dam to send some lava our way."

D'ave looked at his checklist. He frowned.

"Oh. It appears we don't have anyone lined up to make a speech about you. I suppose we could make it a mad lib, but it would be much more convenient if we had someone who knew you well say a few words."

'I'll say the few words.'

3 minutes ago, LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian said:

Lopen slapped Leya. 'No breaking fourth walls. That's my thing. Or I'll have to invent a fifth wall and then break it.'

"I mean, the door said it would open when I became relevant to the plot. It opened, so I assume I am now relevant."

D'ave nodded to the waiting army of mimes. They knew what to do. 

"Leya! Darling, pleasure to see you! Why, we haven't seen each other since you were born. My, that was quite the day. I'm sure you remember me though. Tell me, what brings you here? The funeral right?"

Edited by Archer

Soul arrived at his isolated home. In a mountain, covered with the deepest, thickest forest since Patji. Slipping through the hidden entrance he then walked towards his bed. Collapsing onto it he fell into a deep sleep.