Interesting way to use metals

Lord Meeker

As the topic states this thread is for discussing ways to use Allomancy in a new interesting way. (If this has been discussed before please give the the link.) Mine however is about Iron and being a Lurcher. If one had the ability to burn iron and have grapple gun/hooks, one could virtually become a Allomantic Spiderman. The gun of course would be able to wind itself up as the Lurcher pulled on the metal embedded into the structure. Being able to sense the pull is debatable of course. Please join the converation on using metal in creative ways!

Training yourself to use Allomantic Electrum as a signaling system so your future self can warn you of a social faux pas.  Here's Kurkistan using Electrum this way in the Mistborn Adventure Game over at SteelMinistry.com:lol: So great.  And there's these WoB's...

Kurkistan

Is it practical for an Oracle to get more out of electrum than Vin and Elend tried to?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. It is totally possible.

Kurkistan

So if you could see your shadow wince when it turned left, you would think "Oh, Mrs. Peabody's around that corner. I probably shouldn’t turn left!"

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible to squeeze more out of it than they did.

source

Questioner

How does electrum work?

Brandon Sanderson

Electrum can see future shadows only as far in the future as is done with atium in the books. They use it to counter atium in that they see their own future shadow fighting, and if they see their shadow get hit by an attack, they know to avoid that attack, and they change their own future. This compounds the future shadows they see, which makes it practically as effective at countering atium as atium itself.

While the scope of an electrum shadow is very limited, it could be useful in many situations. Like if you were playing tennis, you’d be able to look at your shadow and tell if you managed to hit the ball or not, and adjust accordingly. That would still take a lot of practice to master, but it could be very effective.

source

So far as I know, credit goes to @Kurkistan for this innovative use of Allomantic Electrum.  (And to Brandon Sanderson, of course.)

EDIT: Also, Allomantic Electrum is discussed more in this topic.

Edited by Zath

On 5/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, King Cole said:

But you wouldn't need grapple hooks, thats the whole point of lurching. You can be Spiderman without  any other equipment

I am aware, but there would need to be metal somewhere to even be able to use Iron. That is where the grapple hooks come in. One the are awesome and two they attach to a heavier source to use said Iron.

My favorite single metallic art hack is an iron-ferring standing on spring and manipulating their mass to collapse it down and lift it back up. Add in some machinery and you basically have a free energy machine.

you could fast forward through commercials with A-Cadmium

no need for ibuprofen when you can store your ability to feel anything with F-tin

tune that annoying guy out by storing hearing

decrease your weight while driving to get better gas mileage

store connection when you don’t want to be noticed by your superiors to be given more jobs 

store heat and turn your ac off

Edited by etmental

Abuse caffeine and store the overflow alertness/wakefulness throughout the day to get down to normal, then tap it back once the caffeine wears off. Should allow the user to reduce their need to sleep to just a couple hours a night with minimal side effects (morning headaches from caffeine dependency and I'm speculating hypertension).

Riot happiness in everyone around you constantly to develop in them a deep seeded association of you with goodness/pleasantness.

11 hours ago, hwiles said:

Abuse caffeine and store the overflow alertness/wakefulness throughout the day to get down to normal, then tap it back once the caffeine wears off. Should allow the user to reduce their need to sleep to just a couple hours a night with minimal side effects (morning headaches from caffeine dependency and I'm speculating hypertension).

Riot happiness in everyone around you constantly to develop in them a deep seeded association of you with goodness/pleasantness.

As a pharmacy student, I see great potential in this lol.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:47 AM, hwiles said:

My favorite single metallic art hack is an iron-ferring standing on spring and manipulating their mass to collapse it down and lift it back up. Add in some machinery and you basically have a free energy machine.

You could do something similar with Allomantic Iron or Steel.  As long as the angle's right, the Allomancer could even do it while relaxing on a sofa.  All the free energy, none of the motion sickness.  Of course, there would be an upper limit to the amount of force/weight that a Lurcher or Coinshot could safely handle, and an Iron Ferring would probably be able to exceed that limit.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, hwiles said:

Storing the extra wakefulness gained from caffeine seems like it should work to a certain extent, but I don't think it would work so well as to reduce the need for sleep to just a couple hours a night.  Sleep does a lot more for the body than caffeine can emulate, and IMO it's the effects of a good night's sleep that is stored and tapped in Feruchemical Bronze, not just simple "wakefulness".  Sleep is when the body does its "maintenance" work and healing, including hormonal checks and balances that impact psychological health.  If you don't get enough REM sleep (i.e. deep sleep), bad stuff happens.  Like, really bad. Short- and long-term health consequences of sleep disruption

Never underestimate the power of a good night's sleep!  Bronze Feruchemy is like poor man's Gold Feruchemy, if you ask me.

So yes, storing that extra caffeine buzz for later sounds like a neat application of Bronze.  I just don't think it would be that effective.

...Carry on. (Don't mind me, I'm just the guy who takes sleep way too seriously. ;))

On 5/14/2018 at 9:47 AM, hwiles said:

can i just say this is genius? i’m sure somebody could come up with some sort of way to harness this concept with harmonium(or is harmonium just for allomancy...actually i think that might not work). anyways, i believe you may have found the best use of any F-metals yet. 

On 5/16/2018 at 9:40 AM, hwiles said:

Am I the only one who's worried here?

4 hours ago, AonEne said:

Am I the only one who's worried here?

I mean...There are plenty of riotable emotions that, if applied consistently around a focal public figure, would probably be absolutely devastating to everyone everywhere.  Just because people have the self awareness to know their emotions are irrational doesn't protect them from the side-effects of those emotions...Just ask anyone who has ever struggled with depression or psychotic episodes. Of all of the many things a rioter could do, I posit that rioting happiness and joy is among the least evil.  Using their power constantly for any purpose would probably be a horrible thing to do. in-universe characters argue strongly that firm emotional manipulation isn't tantamount to mind-control; they are wrong.  Sure, you can't reliably control individual people, but you can shove everyone very hard in one direction, which is way more than enough to get just about any desired effect on the grand-scale.

Second Era Spoilers:

Spoiler

We see that allomancy can be weaponized in the form of pushing and pulling grenades. Could Feruchemy be used this way ever? Tossing a luck-grenade into your-side of the battle would be interesting. Or, could you lock the grenade to STORE LUCK, and suck the luck out of a room or an event? 

Edited by teknopathetic

On 14.05.2018 at 7:47 PM, hwiles said:

On 14.05.2018 at 11:17 PM, Mraize said:

That is hilarious.

In original Avatar tle Last Airbender, some firebenders can use lightning. There's at most 2 people at the very top of the food chain who can shoot it and 2 more who can not create it, but can defend themselves/return to sender.

In the sequel, there are factories full of workers whose job is stand and shoot lightnings to generate electricity.

give somebody an unkeyed tin metal mind. they could actively store feeling if they are needing surgery, it would also be helpful for traumatic injuries. 

if somebody can’t feel the pain of their injuries they are much less likely to go into shock.

PLUS you wouldn’t even need to store any senses in the tin to begin with. 

• Chaos locked this topic