Could Humans Manufacture a Reod?

So, got bored, had a thought, decided to share. (I hope this wasn't already brought up somewhere, I did a few keyword searches and didn't find anything, so here is hoping)

If I, as a member of Sel, and a citizen of Arelon, decided I wanted to go Panama Canal and dig out a hundred mile river, thereby altering the landscape, could I activate a Reod?

Assuming that I could, how long would it take to have an effect? I thought at first there might be a Connection issue, where the citizens of Arelon don't see it as part of their landscape, so they don't consider it "part of Arelon", but I figured since the giant chasm opening up sounded like it instantly invalidated the Aons that that might not matter. So it comes down to how much would I have to alter the landscape of Arelon before it becomes different enough to create a Reod?

Also, I might need to learn how to Worldhop to avoid the army of angry Elantrians after they fix the Aons...

1 hour ago, Yata said:

Yes you Will do It and It Will affect AonDor on the spot. No time adjustment.

Of course we don't know how Deep a change like that Need to be' to break AonDor

I was going to pose a similar question. Change of great magnitude must occur, I would guess, to alter AonDor. Otherwise the magic system would be fragile and easily countered. No human effort can alter it, at least without taking years and attracting attention.        

On 11/5/2018 at 9:19 PM, Barbarian AL said:

I was going to pose a similar question. Change of great magnitude must occur, I would guess, to alter AonDor. Otherwise the magic system would be fragile and easily countered. No human effort can alter it, at least without taking years and attracting attention.        

It's hard to affect the Aon Aon but a man (or a group of them) could decently easily manage to change others Aon. Just burn one of the big forest in Arelon and the related Aon will cease to work probably. This would not cause a Reod or stuff, but men could mess with AonDor if determinate and with enough knowledge

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 6:32 PM, Farnsworth said:

You could probably build another Elantris if you had lots of free labor, for that matter.

Perhaps. We don't actually know how Elantris was built - it may not even have been built by humans. Modern day Arelonians came to uninhabited land and found the city abandoned. Only after settling in Arelon for a generation did the first "Elantrian" of that era get taken by the Shaod (the king's native-born daughter).

I mean, sure, it's in the shape of a giant Aon Rao, which Aon signifies "spirit" or "essence", and was presumably built with the power of AonDor. But whether or not it had to be placed exactly where it is, we don't know. Maybe Elantris-as-Aon-Rao could only be built there, and if you wanted to make another City Powered by A Giant AonDor somewhere else in Arelon, it'd have to be shaped like a different Aon.

That could easily be, although I think Rao would work anywhere since “Spirit” is one of the more esoteric aons, which probably makes it powerful. For example, the aon for breath probably wouldn’t make a city.

13 hours ago, Farnsworth said:

That could easily be, although I think Rao would work anywhere since “Spirit” is one of the more esoteric aons, which probably makes it powerful. For example, the aon for breath probably wouldn’t make a city.

AHA!

... is the Aon for "Breath". (Seriously, I looked it up.)

Edited by robardin

• Chaos locked this topic