407 posts in this topic

The game should be going up sometime tomorrow at the latest, one way or another.

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

This is fun and all, but it looks like Drake is getting lynched for inactivity at this point. 

I think it important to be clear to everyone that I believe we as SE ought to be a welcoming community, an understanding community, and a compassionate community. I wholeheartedly disagree with the sentiment I feel this statement exudes. Drake has always shown himself to be an upstanding member of our community, and one that we should want to keep hold of. If we make passive aggressive remarks about absences, when it’s overwhelmingly likely that there’s a good reason for the absence, we create an expectant, accusatory atmosphere for the GM to return to. We have had instances of GMs leaving partway through a game, and if would be a terrible outcome if we were to shame GMs who disappear briefly and so incentivise their not returning. Fundamentally, people are human, and do respond to pressure. If Drake, or indeed any other GM, were having a difficult time personally, I think it quite reasonable to expect that a GM could feel too ashamed to return if players create this sort of atmosphere.

Up to this point, it has been lovely to see people enjoying the thread and joking about lynches. I think this is the spirit we should seek to keep, not one of expectation and passive aggressiveness.

NB: This is said without my mod hat on, but is based on my personal views. Seonid is the IM for this game.

@Orlok Tsubodai Thank you for that comment. We really were enjoying the light-hearted humor, but I definitely don't want to offend anyone. I think that the humor we had was all good intentioned, but like you said, if it is left unchecked, it could turn into passive aggressive humor. I've been in experiences in my life where well-intentioned humor turned sour, while the target of the 'humor' was there, and it isn't fun. While poking and prodding at people is often fun, it's important to remember that the other person, has feelings, or in our online case, that the other user has a face, which masks their feelings.

Well said, Orlok.

Also, what is an IM?

Just now, Bort said:

Well said, Orlok.

Also, what is an IM?

Impartial Mod. We've had issues with people getting over-invested in games to the point of toxicity, so it's now our policy to have all games overseen by a mod who is not involved in the game; they act as a sort of moral referee, with the power to step in and halt the game if things get out of control.

*sigh* this is exactly why I shouldn't say things before my medication kicks in in the morning. Sorry Drake if that came off rude, and thank you Orlok for pointing that out. I did not intend it that way. 

@SteeldancerI don't think that it was rude either. I think Orlok just saw the potential for your post, along with the posts preceding it to act as a gateway into the kind of behavior he described. Your post itsself was harmless, in my opinion. 

If this doesn't start soon, I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop. I'm free to play for the next two weeks, but after that I might not be able to. As is, I'm already a little worried I might end up going silent in the late game. :unsure:

We haven't heard back from Drake yet. Randuir has got preliminary things set up, although his championship game will leave him with not a lot of time for GMing.

Still, Randuir has made a role distribution, and the IMs feel that letting this game go on is a better approach than canceling it and starting signups for a new game. If the current state continues for a few hours, I'll get day 1 up for Drake to take over when he gets back.

Drake Marshall has been lynched!

He was a Game Master and the last evil player!

The game is now over! The Village wins!

JK I apologize for the late start but I am present and the first cycle will be up imminently.

I hope starting one cycle's duration later does not create problems for people. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Enjoy the show :ph34r:

banner1.png
"When the hearthfire turns to blue,
What to do? What to do?
Run outside. Run and hide."

In the middle of a forest whose trees grow not in this world, no moon overhead, a troupe of performers sat around an unlit campfire. Many of them were engaged in a heated argument over how best to start the fire, or even whether to start the fire at all. Others stood on the sidelines, quietly juggling. Others peered in from the darkness, watching with interest. One waited patiently within a sprawling tree, softly chuckling to itself.

. . .

Shreya the stargazer looked up at the sky overhead disapprovingly. It was wrong. That was the wrong sky. She walked back towards her tent, deciding to consult her star charts.

A short walk later, she sat on the floor of her tent, leafing through the star charts. This doesn't make any sense. The stars were all wrong. This wasn't even a different part of the sky, it wasn't even the same sky at all. But then...

In a moment of terrifying revelation, she pieced it together.

"Fae..."

I have to warn the others.

The candle-flame that she read by turned blue.

. . .

The argument grew more heated, and the unlit hearth grew more cold. It was, naturally, all in good fun. This was a troupe that specialized in displays of fire, and they took pride in the fact. Around they went, each one seemingly trying to top the last with a yet more ludicrous method of lighting the fire, the troupe becoming absorbed in the debate.

And thus, they did not notice at first when an intensely bright light appeared amongst the troupe's tents.

When they did notice, they more or less dropped everything, running to the source of the light. Brilliant blue flames licked around the stargazer's tent, swiftly devouring it.

The troupers did all they could to put out the fire. By the time they succeeded, Shreya's tent along with two other nearby ones had been reduced to mere ashes. The stargazer herself was nowhere to be seen.

. . .

Shreya (NPC) has been killed! She was a Stargazer!

And now the show begins. Apologies for the delay, you should all be getting role PMs soon if you don't have them yet.

Burning text is overrated imo, but still is kind of the obvious choice for a fire-related title banner.

Also, a small rule clarification: the master doc that the Cthaeh has access to is a version that updates every rollover, not continuously as orders are submitted.

And finally, a friendly reminder that failing to cast a vote (or having it nulled) three times in this game will result in death.

Cast

1. Elandera as Ahnya
2. Eternum as Enerin
3. Droughtbringer as Pyra Mainiak
4. Aonar Faileas as Aorais Kipthorn
5. Devotary of Spontaneity as Gaskana
6. Walin as Nelden Dastardly
7. Fifth Scholar as Marne
8. Snipexe as Snip
9. Alvron as Laon
10. Steeldancer as Squick
11. Megasif as Mega
12. Xinoehp512 as Reyalp Nwoknu
13. Arinian as Ray Fox
14. Orlok as Locke
15. I think I am here as Itiah II
16. Arraenae as Alev
17. Bort as Master Ash
18. Wonko the Sane as Fifth Daughter Resterford
19. Cadmium Compounder as Deric Watar
20. Young Bard as Neris

Countdown

ora_1527231600.png

Edited by Drake Marshall

Ahnya wanted to ignore the strange death in what she was coming to realize was a very strange place, so she set about to tinkering. She wasn't a tinker. No, she was a blacksmith. A much more noble profession in her opinion. Tinkers were scam artists. Blacksmiths made useful things, not cheap trinkets.

People always looked at her strangely when she said she was a roving blacksmith. It didn't make sense to most people. Smiths needed forges, which were large and hot. How could you do that traveling? But she had a knack. A knack for getting a forge-hot fire going anywhere. She didn't do that now. Not after the blue flames had engulfed Shreya and her tent. So instead she tinkered with some horseshoes and spare cart parts.

But Ahnya suspected her traveling companions may want her to start a forge fire soon. For iron.

Edited by Elandera

Blue fire was pretty. At least, it was until it caught up with you. Then it hurt. Master Ash spoke from experience, an experience he didn't want to repeat, which is why he retreated slightly from the burning tents and found himself a place further down the bucket line. It didn't take long before the fires went out, but by then there were already rumours flying round. Blue fire meant fae, didn't it?

There was a silence to the air, and it was a silence of three parts.

The first part was made by the things that were lacking. If there had been birds in the trees to sing, to croon and twitter into the night air, they would have filled the first silence with their colourful song. If there had been the sounds of wildlife, to break the silence as they cracked the brush under their feet in the forest... but there was no wildlife nearby, and so the first silence remained.

The troupe stood staring at the embers of the fireplace. There was no clinking of pots as heapings of stew was doled out into the bowls of hungry travellers, no sounds of boisterous conversation as each of the troupe tried to outdo the others. There was only the ashes, and the sullen, sunken eyes. In doing so, they added a smaller, sullen silence to the first one. It made an alloy, of sorts - a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you stood for an hour, you might begin to notice it - you could feel it in the trees hanging overhead and in the stones resting on the ground. It was in the slow air as it dusted by, holding the secrets it held of ages long since vanished to myth. And it was in the slowly dissipating ashes of the tents, as they slowly fell apart, decaying away and leaving nothing behind, except for the third silence. For this was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was as deep and wide as autumns ending, as heavy as a great-river smooth silence. It was the sound of the troupe, waiting to die.

All PMs should now be sent out, please let me know if you didn't get one.

And now I need sleep so goodnight.

Edited by Drake Marshall

I am a squid-head. Not sure why everyone here is so obsessed with fire. Squids are cool too

5 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

In the middle of a forest whose trees grow not in this world, no moon overhead, a troupe of performers sat around an unlit campfire.

Point of order: if there's no moon in the mortal realm -- as there would have to be, for us to have been drawn into the Fae like this -- then the moon should be full on this side.

4 hours ago, Elandera said:

Tinkers were scam artists.

Wow. Okay. Uh. Imma just stand... over here... (edges away from the crazy person who is taunting fate).

4 hours ago, Bort said:

Blue fire meant fae, didn't it?

No, blue fire is one of the signs of the Chandrian. Get your superstitious folklore right. :P

In fact, blue flame is specifically the sign of Cyphus's presence, so it's safe to assume he's in the game.

Wonko, because he seems to know the secrets of the fae.

Oh, come on! I'm Vintish; I'm supposed to know about superstitions. :P 

And don't tell me you didn't sing Chandrian, Chandrian when you were growing up. Don't point fingers at me just because you forgot the verse about blue fire which is at the top of the writeup. :P

Edited by Wonko the Sane

Well, I've never read Kingkiller Chronicles, so I have no idea about any of your references :P

And yeah, it mentions blue fire in the verse, but it doesn't tell you what it is from. Hence the assumption it was because of the fae.

Chandrian, Chandrian is a children's song. From the KKC wiki:

Childrens version

When the hearthfire turns to blue,
What to do? What to do?
Run outside. Run and hide.

When his eyes are black as crow?
Where to go? Where to go?
Near and far. Here they are.

See a man without a face?
Move like ghosts from place to place.
What’s their plan? What’s their plan?
Chandrian. Chandrian.

Kvothe/Denna's version

When the hearthfire turns to blue,
What to do? What to do?
Run outside. Run and hide.

When your bright sword turns to rust?
Who to trust? Who to trust?
Stand alone. Standing stone.

See a woman pale as snow?
Silent come and silent go.
What’s their plan? What’s their plan?
Chandrian. Chandrian.

And you should probably be informed: Tinkers have a lot of superstition in this world; unlike in others, they are looked upon very favorably. It's considered extremely bad luck to disrespect a Tinker in any way. Most tragic stories start with the lead character being rude to a Tinker; it's a signal that "things are not going to go well for this character".

Does that mean we should be voting for Elandera, for insulting the tinkers?

Edited by Bort
Typos

I am considering it. I don't know if he's evil, or just a fool, but I fear he will bring ruin down upon us all.