2 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I nullified your vote with Scrael the first cycle because of what you said about being willing to burn all your passes early. Were you in contact with Fifth and/or Bort when you asked whether I was the Monk? I had already false-claimed to both of them by then.

And to think, I said that hoping it would keep the Scraeling Master from targeting me until after I burned a pass or two.  Ah well, worked out in the end. :) 
I was in contact with Fifth but not Bort, although I hadn't talked to Fifth about you at that stage.

@Devotary of Spontaneity, congrats, during the last cycle you made me paranoid that the Sithe all had secret win cons or something. I spent a good ten minutes staring accusingly at their role descriptions in the rules, trying to see if they all possessed secrets.

@Wonko the Sane, thank you for thinkingg I was the Cthaeh? TBH, when you asked me, I was really considering trolling you and claiming that. The smiley face was a compromise between my desire to troll and my realization that I didn't have the energy to do it well at the time.

@Drake Marshall and @randuir, thanks for running the game. I had a lot of fun in it :D

Alenta's foot flew toward Alev's head, and the world went black.

"Whatcha here for, girl?" the recruitment officer asked. He was tall, with a crisp Caeldish uniform, and an utterly bored look on his face.

Alev steeled herself. "I want to join the army," she said.

"You?" he said, peering at her intently. "What's the likes of you doing, wanting to join the army?"

"I need the money," Alev said. What she did not say was, "to send my sister to the University in my place." She was rather proud at herself for smoothing the anger from her face. She'd had a lot of practice, by now.

"Are you sure?" the officer said. One eyebrow drifted up ever so slightly.

Alev hesitated. Before her she saw two gruelling months of bootcamp, sore muscles that became sorer every morning when she woke up, spear drills where she jabbed the air before her and yelled "kill!" She saw an arrow slicing through the air and into her knee, leaving a wound that would force her to seek other ways to make money. She saw a troupe caught between the machinations of the Chandrian and the Sithe. She saw blood, and she saw death.

Alev opened her mouth to say no to the recruitment officer, to walk away embarrassed but at least unharmed.

But she saw other things, too. She saw Mirac painstakingly teaching Yusef how to play Tak. She saw Snip -- handsome, clever, kind Snip -- who would introduce her to his troupe when she thought her knee injury had destroyed her forever. She saw a mischievous girl who wouldn't stay put, and a shadow of a boy with the voice of an angel. She saw herself, laughing as she juggled three flashing machetes, the wind frolicking around her clothes. She saw joy, and she saw companionship.

"Well?" the recruitment officer said. "You changing your mind, girl?"

"No," said Alev. "Count me in."

By the time Alev woke up, the last of the demons were dead.

I had a lot of fun this game. As you can probably see, I was the Namer. I used a one time pad in my first two messages do I could prove my identity to players. The key for the first message is IAMARRAENAE and the key for the second is IBLAMEDRAKEMARSHALFORTHIS. The third message I sent only to Eternum, confirming what he said inthread about usig a OTP. Then, the fourth cycle I sent a poem to prove I wasn't dead, along with a music video for "Liar Liar" to Eternum after he said he hadn't received a message at all. The fifth message would've been a call to all Monks out there to see if Alv really was Orlok's Monk contact.

Sorry for not being able to contribute much this game. I found it difficult to find time to get on. Next game I'll do better :).

Reading through the docs is very entertaining. I'm amused that nobody thought that my placing Drought's vote the first round was just to give the Ciridae an opportunity to decide a lynch victim. I mostly seem to have inadvertently helped this game, in addition to having some very narrow misses. (Thanks for everybody who protected me or Drought.)  I guess it's better than inadvertently hurting. :)

Well, it's been an interesting run.

First, thank you again to Randuir, who helped refine the game's rules, and handled a lot of difficult things in this game.

Now, some retrospective thoughts on the game.

-I was pleased by this game's activity policy, which was a slight refinement from what I used in QF30. I may continue to tweak how it works, but after using more or less the same policy in two games, I'm pretty decided that any future games I run will also include a variant of this policy.

-The balance between eliminators and village was approximately correct. Both sides had some very powerful roles. The eliminators were unlucky to lose Cyphus on the first day (if Cyphus had been alive just a cycle or two longer, they could quite possibly have been able to kill all four lovers in a single action), and certain villagers whose names have been erased from time played fantastically well.

-Some roles should have been a little harder to confirm. I intended for certain roles to be highly claimable, and gave the eliminator team a set of abilities that severely punished role-claiming. However, I also intended for this game to have a much large number of vanillas. In a few cases, I would make certain roles more ambiguous.

-The Cthaeh was weaker than it could have been. Balancing an omniscient role is hard. I deliberately erred on the side of making the Cthaeh difficult, because it's effectively a serial killer. But if this game ever ran a second time, there would be slightly fewer restrictions on the Cthaeh, and it would also not be quite as difficult to create cross-aligned lovers.

That's all I can think of to say right now.

I want to give thoughts on this game, but all I can say right now is that it was very fun, and that the mechanics were such that I understood what was going on despite not knowing the lore.

Well played, everyone!

EDIT: Alright, here's my thoughts on the game (and this is an edit since I'm the last in the thread, and I don't want to double-post nor perform the art of thread necromancy).

I loved playing as the Jester. I've started to play games with votes in recent games, and this time was one where I could do it with all abandon. I nullified my vote a couple of times, just so I could pretend to participate--I don't think I was much help to the village, but I do think I did a bit of sleuthing. I definitely didn't do enough to get a solid read for voting, however. Because of that, I ended up voting on myself a couple of times, or following the lynch train that was forming near the middle of the voting period.

I really loved the writeups and RP--I want to read the Kingkiller Chronicles at some point, so that I can come back to another KKC game and get all the references.

Hopefully I'll be active enough to post on the aftermath more promptly in my next games.

Edited by Walin

• 7 months later...

Well folks, it's long, long, long past time we closed this game up.  Seriously, it's been almost a year since the game finished.  :o We are getting these done. Slowly, so very slowly.

Many thanks to Drake and Rand for running the game and their excellent write ups.  The two of you really brought the KKC books to life and made me want to read them.  I hope to see this game run again.

A round of applause for the Eliminators this game.  Luck and Chance were against you but you didn't let it get you down.  I salute your fighting spirit.

If anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get a hold of Wilson, Orlok, Fifth or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can.

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!  If you would rather keep some detail secret or are self conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be, while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Elbereth, Amanuensis, Aonar Faileas, A Joe in the Bush, and Stink) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: