Alleyverse Monetary system

MacThorstenson

19 minutes ago, kenod said:

I'm not sure if this is practical, but I personally think the best system would be a software based solution, probably just a simple bookkeeping program for updating the bank accounts (monthly salary, transfers), perhaps linked to a person's shard account to prevent people from creating a lot of different accounts, with the ability for mediators to reset someones account in case of character death or making people pay fines (might require multiple mediators agreeing to prevent people from pulling weird stuff). The main issues with this would be hosting the system (could be done on the servers the shard currently uses maybe), and building it though. I'm also not sure if linking to shard accounts can be done, as I don't know the protocols used.
I should be able to build the server side part, but I don't have any real experience with web development, so I'm not sure about the client part. It might also be a bit too complex for just the alleyverse rp, but with the benefit that it could theoretically be extended to cover other random rps on the shard too.

Gonna be honest, this sounds like too much effort for not enough reward. I think a simple google doc would be fine.

So I think that Each guild would start out with some money that can be given to their members, plus each individual who opens an account could get like 50 crysts(just an example amount. The money could grow based on a 10% interest rounding to the nearest whole number. So if you start with 50, and your guild gives you 150 more, you would have 200. at the beginning of your second week, you would get 20 more. 220. Then the next week, you would get 22 more 242. Then the next week you would get 24.2 more, rounded would be 24 more, so 266, etc... If the banker has ledgers ona google spreadsheet, they could create an equation to do that automatically. But by doing it on a spreadsheet, that would mean that everyone's bank accounts might be public. That could make for an interesting society-building aspect though. A society where everyone knows how much money everyone else has...

EDIT: and in a universe as socially corrupt as the alleyverse, that may be the only way to ensure no corruption in the banking system.

Edited by Tineye Navigator

13 minutes ago, Tineye Navigator said:

and in a universe as socially corrupt as the alleyverse, that may be the only way to ensure no corruption in the banking system.

Won't work, unless someone memorizes everything (or keeps back-ups), someone with edit access will still be able to tweak values without anyone knowing.

6 minutes ago, kenod said:

Won't work, unless someone memorizes everything (or keeps back-ups), someone with edit access will still be able to tweak values without anyone knowing.

IIRC, there's a way to see what edits have been made on google docs. I don't remember how exactly, and I don't have access to edit google docs while at work, so I can't verify. But the head banker could always have a back up copy that is view-only.

1 minute ago, Tineye Navigator said:

IIRC, there's a way to see what edits have been made on google docs. I don't remember how exactly, and I don't have access to edit google docs while at work, so I can't verify. But the head banker could always have a back up copy that is view-only.

There is. I know how to do it.

I like the idea of crysts, however, I think they shouldn't be Aons, stormlight or anything like that. Instead, I would propose that each guild controls a supply depot of investiture, and every week they get a set amount of said investiture, i.e. the Library controls the Stormlight and gets 40 emerald bromes a week. The guilds can set their own prices and sell their commodities at there pleasure.

I would also propose that every member of the Allyverse gets an as yet undetermined amount of crysts every week. We could also impose a negative interest rate determined by a piecewise defined function

I would encourage this “use it or lose some of it” program because hoarding resources benefits no one. We want the money to be moving not stagnating, this way we encourage people to go out and buy goods and services, as well as combating the risk of inflation.

Now for the problem of keeping track of all this, Kenod’s idea of a software program to keep track of all this sound complicated, if we can make it work that would be awesome but if not I propose a public domain record of all transactions and accounts. If anyone can see the records and catch mistakes then the risk of corruption decreases dramatically. Only Liebrarins (or whoever ends up running it) can update it and change it but anyone can view it. (now I see that Tineye said this same thing earlier, oops)

Edited by The Forgetful Archivist

2 minutes ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

Now for the problem of keeping track of all this, Kenod’s idea of a software program to keep track of all this sound complicated, if we can make it work that would be awesome but if not I propose a public domain record of all transactions and accounts. If anyone can see the records and catch mistakes then the risk of corruption decreases dramatically. Only Liebrarins (or whoever ends up running it) can update it and change it but anyone can view it.

I'll be trying to create this (seems fun), but I don't know if I can actually get it finished, or how soon, as I also have other stuff I need to work on.

Would discord be a viable option for keeping track of money? a bot could be found, or made, to give and keep track of money. 

Yes, there are issues. it would require every member of the alleyverse to join a discord server in order to have money, and this could cause problems or be unfair to people without access to discord. But it would simplify it somewhat, and take the pressure off of anyone who would potentially have to keep track of it.

It just depends on if the benefits, it being simple, outweigh the issues, the number of people who have problems with, or cant access discord.

6 hours ago, Stormblessed Dolphin said:

Would discord be a viable option for keeping track of money? a bot could be found, or made, to give and keep track of money. 

Yes, there are issues. it would require every member of the alleyverse to join a discord server in order to have money, and this could cause problems or be unfair to people without access to discord. But it would simplify it somewhat, and take the pressure off of anyone who would potentially have to keep track of it.

It just depends on if the benefits, it being simple, outweigh the issues, the number of people who have problems with, or cant access discord.

*raises hand*
Already building an alleyverse bot. (Currently called cookie-bot, nothing to read into there. :ph34r:)

4 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

I found another bit that definitely does every thing we need it to do regarding the economy. We could easily use it. But it raises the same issues that stormblessed raised about using a discord. 

Couldn't we figure out a way to do it for them if they ask? This is a really good idea.

Well, I guess that we could have someone make multiple discord accounts for the purpose of keeping track of people's money who have tech issues. And that would still be more manageable than having to keep track of everyone's. And this makes it easier to audit the system. huh. this just might work.

Edited by Stormblessed Dolphin