Speculation thread: Who do you think will still be alive once the series has ended?

Who do you think will die and why/how?  With a cast this large, I don't them all surviving to the end.  Do you think Brandon will try to shock us with deaths we may have not thought were coming?

Well I think that at least some of the main characters will stay alive. True is that he may want to shock us with some deaths but he never (so far) killed someone just for the shock of it. It always had some bigger sense to it. So may be someone will have to sacrifice himself like Kaladin, in the name of ultimate protection. I think Lift and Shallan and may be Szeth could live on since currently their death would not help anything but we will see...

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

I think Taravangian will kill one of the main characters for the “greater good” and when another protagonist tries to stop him they end up messing up something holding back Odium and causing everything to turn out worse. I think it’s most likely that Szeth will die, but that’s just me.

21 minutes ago, Mistspren said:

I think Taravangian will kill one of the main characters for the “greater good” and when another protagonist tries to stop him they end up messing up something holding back Odium and causing everything to turn out worse. I think it’s most likely that Szeth will die, but that’s just me.

I'm just waiting for that to happen.  Literally and figuratively stabs someone in the back and makes his grand reveal or something before taking off. 

If Szeth dies, I hope he goes out in glory and learns to forgive himself, and that others forgive him as well before the end.

Well, if nobody else, I certainly won’t survive these books if he keeps upping the stakes. 

But I agree with above, Kaladin’s probably going to kick the bucket in the name of protecting someone or something, in a suitably dramatic way. I also think Dalinar won’t make it through the series, though I don’t know how he might die. 

Given what he did in Mistborn, I think that either Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin, or Renarian will get the proverbial ax, maybe even most of them. I do not see Sezth, Dalinar, Jasnah, or Lift dying, nor any of the other secondary main cast such as Lopen, Rock, the rest of Bridge Four, and Navani. The person who I want to see gone is Shallan. Please no flames, but I am not a fan of her. I think it would be better to replace her parts with Jasnah. Jasnah is a mush more interesting character in my view. Also, I think she is one of the most likely to survive, just based on her abilities. I think the people most likely to go the way of the dodo are either Kaladin or Renarian. Kaladin will most likely go out in a blaze of glory fighting a hundred fused and maybe an Unmade. Renarian will most likely become corrupted by Odium and die faster than Loki at the hands of Thanos and the Black Order.

The people that are have a 99% chance of surviving are Lift, Sezth, Lopen, Rock and Bridge Four, and Jasnah. Lift seems like she is impossible to kill. Sezth has already died once and I think he will not die again. Bridge Four is most likely to be the catalyst for Kaladin's death. Jasnah is also one of those people who just will not die, no matter what you try and do.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

I don't have too many guesses on who will die so much as assumptions/hopes on how they die(if they do). Similar to Illythyrra Dark's thing about Szeth, but for more characters.

If Dalinar or Szeth/Adolin die, I hope they go out in a blaze of glory. I know Dalinar is moving along a different path, but he still has the fighting experience from his Blackthorn days to fall back on when in dire straits. Adolin has always been a fighter, while Szeth has been our big heavy-hitter for WoK/WoR, and now that he's got Nightblood.... I don't see his arc ending without a fight.

Jasnah/Shallan: The Veil persona is overconfident, while Jasnah has an arrogant streak. Regardless of what actually does one of them them in, they need to bite off more than they can chew. It makes the most sense for them to seal their own fates, by taking on some task/challenge that we know they can't accomplish.

Kaladin/Moash: I'll reserve commentary until we see their SA4 story, but I expect that only one of them will reach the SA10 final battle, and then that one will die during it.

Renarin: Betrayal. I really don't know why, but that's what I'm feeling is the most likely thing to do him in.

Taravangian/Lift: This is an odd pairing, but I see them ending up in similar situations at different times, and having one/both of them die to it. Not sure what that particular fate may be, but I see similar fates befalling them.

Rsyn: I still support my Lanceryn theory, but I'm not sure where that'd take her in terms of an ending to a story. But I will say she is one of only 2 characters thus far that I absolutely do not want to die.

Talanelat'Elin, bearer of all agonies: Taln had a habit of choosing impossible fights and winning, often dying in the process. I've always pictured Taln walking across the battlefield like a literal god amongst men, standing up to anything the enemy can dish out and returning the pain in quick succession. Like with Dalinar, I think Taln will start drifting away from combat, but you don't just give a character that kind of reputation, and not show it off. At the end of his arc, humanity will be faced with the impossible fight once again, and Taln shall lead the charge in the final battle, with or without the other Heralds, defend the last bastion of humanity, reclaim the mantle of Herald of War, and survive.

Edited by The One Who Connects

5 hours ago, Gasper said:

Kaladin will most likely go out in a blaze of glory fighting a hundred fused and maybe an Unmade.

His final oath
"I will sacrifice myself to save others"

BAM! FINAL POWER UP.

Final blaze of glory. 

18 minutes ago, Xtafa said:

His final oath
"I will sacrifice myself to save others"

BAM! FINAL POWER UP.

Final blaze of glory. 

I would cry so much, but it would be glorious at the same time.

I love Rysn, and really want her and Chiri Chiri to survive. One of the scenes I am most looking forward to/hope happens is if/when Chiri Chiri grows into a lanceryn and Rysn rides to save the day, or something to that effect.

Regarding Jasnah, I think she will eventually die, for real this time, but not until the 9th or 10th book. She is just too powerful, and would probably impede with the end by being able to do things too easily. 

I never really got why everyone loves her, while she is a good character and a strong role, I haven’t really seen any progression. She clearly had troubles in her past, and has progressed, even since the WoR prologue, but during the main plot of the books she has been a rather flat mentor character. These are my own views, and while I respect others and others may not share them, please do not be offended by them.

I also think Bridge Four will outlive Kaladin, and that his symbol before his chapters is Bridge Four raiding his cloak on their spears in salute.

I feel like Kaladin’s arc could go one of two ways:

either he lives through everything that happens and is completely mentally scarred. (I say this because of the foreshadowing with him “living by though everything”)

Or he dies and has some scene of bliss at finally losing.

I doubt Kaladin will survive the entire ten-book arc. I defenitely think either he, Shallan or Dalinar will die at the end of book 5.

Taravangian probably won’t survive book 5, because of his age. I doubt he dies off-screen between books. 

I have a wierd feeling Axies will die. I doubt Nale, Moash and Mraize will survive the series either. 

I think that Roshar is going to play a roll in Mistborn Era 4, so I hope it survives. If someone has to die, please let it be Shallan or Renarian , they are so annoying.

Kaladin will live IMO. I don't see him becoming a worldhopper either, so I think he'll live a natural life span and die as the head of the Windrunners. Szeth is headed for death seems to me, I think he'll redeem himself in Shinovar. And maybe... maybe he'll be sent to assassinate a high ranking Odium commander or something? Shallan, probably not gonna die. Adolin, hmm, maybe. Dalinar is oh-so-definitely going to die. And Jasnah will outlive them all.

Edited by Vissy

I am hoping against all hope that Kaladin is going to survive, and that Brandon doesn’t make him anymore weak-willed than he already is. Maybe he’ll have some kids with that old girlfriend of his. Maybe, just maybe, Brandon can LEAVE HIM ALONE, so that I can actually re-read the next book after it comes out. If he does die, he’d better have said the fifth ideal and get a proper Hrathen-sort funeral afterwards.

I think Adolin will die. Somehow. And, for the record, I think that Shallan will probably either have already had a kid with him, or be pregnant, or something like that, though I said the same thing about Vin and Elend, so... maybe not. Maybe they’ll both die, though I think Shallan’s death would send Kaladin into another 300 pages of crippling dramatic depression, so I hope not, for Kaladin’s sake. 

Dalinar is probably going to die. Maybe he’ll be fighting 3 Unmade and 500 Fused, and have killed them all but lost too much blood, or maybe he’ll have a Luke Skywalker death, sitting in a window, blessing Kaladin as Kal fought the aforementioned 3 Unmade and 500 Fused. In that situation, given a bridge to complain about, Kaladin would probably kill everyone and then go complain to Shallan, but I’m still worried about him. 

Renarin is going to be killed by his own spren. Maybe near the end of the series, but it is going to happen. Probably in a pathetically dramatic setting, where Adolin watches him but is unable to help his little brother as Renarin is eaten alive be ants, or a chasmfiend, or a Fused, or something, I don’t know!

Jasnah is going to find a way to get herself killed. That woman will persevere! straight into the den of 20,000 chasmfiends, maybe dragging Shallan along for good measure, and maybe getting them both killed, giving Branderson yet another chance to make Kaladin suffer. Maybe even more than usual this time. Sure, why not! 

The secondary characters are going to be fine, except for Moash, who will get lectured to death by either Kaladin or Dalinar, depending on who wins the rock-paper-scissors match. If Branderson writes a single word about Lopen or Rock or Teft dying, I’m going to be sad and disappointed, perhaps joining Kaladin in the pit of misery by Branderson. 

I think Book 5 will end with Odium winning most of Roshar. Kaladin and Lopen will die, and the rest of Bridge 4 will view them as martyrs and form a resistance. I imagine in Book 6, Arolin will be leading the resistance with an awsome beard Captain America style. If Dalinar doesn't reform Honor and take his place, then he'll die. O hope Szeth dies at some point. He deserves a good rest in the Beyond.

Edited by Pagerunner
Removed OB Spoilers

Stick is eternal and unchanging, everyone else is fair game.

I really don't care to speculate too much on seven books worth of potential developments, especially as Brandon loves throwing curveballs at us. We can't even be sure that the planned flashback characters will survive to their books as Brandon has repeatedly mentioned. I think it's fairly safe to assume Lift is going to survive to her book as Brandon has mentioned seeing her as an adult, though he also didn't rule out the idea of her being a grown-up ghost so.... even that's not completely certain. So let's just stick with my original response. Worship the almighty Stick, ye unbelievers!

On 5/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I don't have too many guesses on who will die so much as assumptions/hopes on how they die(if they do). Similar to Illythyrra Dark's thing about Szeth, but for more At the end of his arc, humanity will be faced with the impossible fight once again, and Taln shall lead the charge in the final battle, with or without the other Heralds, defend the last bastion of humanity, reclaim the mantle of Herald of War, and survive.

Actually, I could totally see Taln becoming the next Vessel of Honor, or the combination of Honor and Odium should Rayse not make it to the end of Stormlight Archive. Brandon's very fond of exploring what it means to be divine and played around with the idea of worthiness. It's a definite factor for the quasi-divine Returned (you have to be chosen by Endowment) and seemingly for the Elantrians at least, but there are no inherent qualifications for Shard-hood other than 'being the first one on the scene when a Shard is up for grabs'. Taln would be a refreshing change of pace and if anyone we know of could be said to have earned a shot at divinity through their actions, it's definitely him.

Kaladin.  Kaladin will be the only one left alive, because as we know anyone he tries to protect dies on him.

jk I don’t actually think that.  More people will live.  I hope Kaladin has some kids and gets some happiness, but at the same time I think Kaladin will die.  He cares too much about protecting people not to go out in a blaze of glory protecting people.  I hope it’s epic.

I like the idea of Taln picking up a shard.  He would do a good job with it.

EDIT: I also think Lift will live.

Edited by Aurora the Rioter

50 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Stick is eternal and unchanging, everyone else is fair game.

The eternal Stick knows best.

51 minutes ago, Weltall said:

'being the first one on the scene when a Shard is up for grabs'

If Mistborn: Secret History is anything to go by, there does seem to be at least one qualification that needs to be met. 

Spoiler

That being a certain amount of connection to said shard. Kelsier was a native Scadrian and a mistborn, but did not have enough connection to Preservation to become its vessel without the help of the Ire's mist-orb-thing. Perhaps that was because he was essentially dead, but the book seems to imply that Kelsier was too much of Ruin for him to pick up Preservation.

That being said, I think Taln does meet that requirement for both Honor and Odium. Besides, Taln is just great.

• Chaos locked this topic