Who do you ship and why?

Darkwalker

Oh man, I can't tell you how sad that would make me if she dies, having never found true love!~ :(  Please do not do this, Mr. Sanderson! :(

Edited by Illythyrra Dark

Well, I've said it before so I might as well say it again.  I like Adolin and Shallan together, so I'm glad that seems to be a thing.  As for everyone's favorite brooding Windrunner, my preferences after Oathbringer are still pretty much the same as they were before Oathbringer:

1) Kaladin/Lift -- The similarities between "I will protect those who cannot protect themselves" and "I will remember those who have been forgotten" make me think that these two must have pretty similar overarching philosophies.  They're both have a thing for helping others (even at great risk to themselves), they're both big into healing, they just seem like they'd get along well and compliment each other nicely.

2) Kaladin/Syl -- Talk about two people who get along well.  Syl very much provides for Kaladin the counterpoint he needs.  It's not quite so clear that he's as helpful for her, but he clearly cares for her quite a bit.  Honestly, if Syl were human, this would be an easy pick.  But that whole "being a spren" thing might cause issues.  On the other hand, issues are the foundation of good storytelling.

3) Kaladin/Nobody -- Not every character needs a romantic counterpart, and Kaladin has certainly gotten along fine without any romance worth mentioning so far.  I'd rather have nothing at all than some poorly shoehorned-in relationship.

Honestly even though I have my preferences, I like all the ships that Sanderson is making, even Shadolin makes sense. She wants someone who is not as depressed, someone who will be her sunshine. 

• 7 months later...

Shallan/Kaladin/Adolin: I want all of them to be dating each other. I really love Shalladin and I'm disappointed they didn't get together in OB, while Kaladin and Adolin's mutual antagonism blossoming into friendship in WoR makes for extremely fertile. shipping ground as far as I'm concerned. Shadolin is, for me, the least interesting side of this triangle, but they still had good development in OB and I think they're cute together.

Shallan/Jasnah: My brain is hardwired to seek out F/F ships, and at the moment this one seems the most realistic.

Human/spren ships: These are kind of silly, but I also ship Syl/Shallan and Dalinar/Stormfather. Lots of people in this thread have mentioned Syl/Kaladin, but I don't really see it? I think it's because what makes them a good radiant/spren pair--Syl basically spending 100% of her energy on keeping Kaladin happy--doesn't strike me as the foundation of a healthy romantic relationship. (To each their own, of course.) Also...

On 5/3/2018 at 4:17 AM, ScarletSabre said:

No no, Pattern and Wyndle for luls :D

^ This. I like this.

2 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Personally I ship Venli with Renarin, but that thread did make some good points.

I hadn’t thought about those two together before, but it actually makes a lot of sense. At least thematically.

2 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Personally I ship Venli with Renarin, but that thread did make some good points.

Huh. That seems...cool, I guess. I can't say I'm opposed to it.

I ship Stick and Shallan. Hey, the stick scene was just their first fight!

Edited by Jaywalk

16 hours ago, Joy said:

Shallan/Jasnah: My brain is hardwired to seek out F/F ships, and at the moment this one seems the most realistic.

That's a ship I definitly support. It has been discussed on the shard a few times, and it didn't really become more realistic since then, but still I'd love to see it happen.

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

That's a ship I definitly support. It has been discussed on the shard a few times, and it didn't really become more realistic since then, but still I'd love to see it happen.

Rather that than Shallan + Adolin - it just doesn't work for me - they are boring and annoying together at the same time and it's the "prince gets the girl again no matter what" trope... which makes me roll my eyes all over again :P

Whoever Shallan ends up with in the end I really hope it's not Adolin, probably not going to be very popular with this but meh - I too like them both - just not together, and considering how things ended - the door for "everything is still possible" is at least widely open ;)

1 hour ago, Void89 said:

Whoever Shallan ends up with in the end I really hope it's not Adolin, probably not going to be very popular with this but meh

I know what you mean. It's a bit stereotypical. They do make a nice couple, but Shallan + Jasnah would be great and not nice. Apart from that, Shallan and Adolin married, so now we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by Sorana

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

They do make a nice couple

Just wondering, but why exactly?

I keep reading this and I just don't get it. Even if people enjoy reading overly romantic... uh, romances, they don't even have that. I suppose that it is down to subjectivity, but the scenes that were supposed to be romantic are very on the nose and forced. It all seems very cheesy and, I'm sorry, something I'd expect out of a dime novel.

Then again, I don't know if you even could make more out of it with one part of the relationship being a character, that was basically just intended to be a foil for Dalinar, but somehow gets dragged along now.

Edited by SLNC

42 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Just wondering, but why exactly?

I like the way he represented a way she could go, for which she needed to face herself and to grow.

42 minutes ago, SLNC said:

I keep reading this and I just don't get it. Even if people enjoy reading overly romantic... uh, romances, they don't even have that.

Honestly, I'm not reading Brandon's books for a romance. I like to ship characters, but in the end I'm not looking for a romance in them. Brandon himself admits, that he has a hard time writing a good romance, and as much as I enjoy his books, it's not because of the romantic scenes.

49 minutes ago, SLNC said:

Then again, I don't know if you even could make more out of it with one part of the relationship being a character, that was basically just intended to be a foil for Dalinar, but somehow gets dragged along now.

Adolin was intended as a foil for Dalinar. However, because that required a lot of screen-time for him, Brandon made sure to develop him more as a character. Having someone take up as much page-time as Adolin, only to be a foil, would be a complete waste. Adolin is a fully fleshed out character, and has advanced beyond being a foil for Dalinar, just like (Mistborn spoiler):

Spoiler

Spook advanced beyond being a token Tineye in Mistborn

And like Moash advanced beyond angry bridgeman to slayer of Heralds. Saying that Adolin is a foil being dragged along is to reduce his role and character a lot.

51 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Brandon made sure to develop him more as a character.

I have to disagree here. His character didn't really change much since WoK. He's still the same charismatic, dashing and opportunistic prince. The Sadeas murder was an opportunity to change him up in a meaningful way, but that fizzled out and was instead only used to further the plot.

However, I'm aware, that Adolin is a favorite here, so this will obviously a point of contention - a thing I remember the staff not being fond of, so I'll just stop here.

Edited by SLNC

Lift x Nightblood :^)

I have this scene in my head (not from the books) where Jasnah is reading from the Urithiru Gem Archive about how "Edgedancers were the most graceful and refined of all the orders..." and slowly trails off as she sees Lift and Nightblood in the corner and Lift going, "okay sword, so the thing you hafta understand about butts is..." and then Jasnah just walks out lol.

Edited by Zurvanite

4 hours ago, SLNC said:

I have to disagree here. His character didn't really change much since WoK. He's still the same charismatic, dashing and opportunistic prince. The Sadeas murder was an opportunity to change him up in a meaningful way, but that fizzled out and was instead only used to further the plot.

I didn't really stop to think about it until I read that, but I agree on all points. Whether or not a character is well written/enjoyable/liked is completely beside the point of a character being well developed.

Adolin doesn't develop, he's the same. We don't see growth. And from some WoBs I've read he was intended to be a sideline character that got a leading roll somewhat unexpectedly. He also seems to be (and IMO was made to be) the most well adjusted main character. Sort of a foil for the foibles of the others. (Probably a reason he's so well liked?)

Unfortunately, it doesn't leave a lot of room for development. Sadeas was a launching point but instead of taking off he just sort of... jumped up a bit then fell back down to where he already was.

1 hour ago, Zurvanite said:

Lift x Nightblood :^)

I have this scene in my head (not from the books) where Jasnah is reading from the Urithiru Gem Archive about how "Edgedancers were the most graceful and refined of all the orders..." and slowly trails off as she sees Lift and Nightblood in the corner and Lift going, "okay sword, so the thing you hafta understand about butts is..." and then Jasnah just walks out lol.

Heh.

The best part of reading that is thinking how much Nightblood is just going to soak it all in. I'm picturing wide-eyed wonder at pretty much everything Lift says.

Nightblood, "No! Really? Those do that!?" :D 

Edited by Dalakaar