How did you imagine Spheres when you first read this book series?

I'm prob way off, but I always imagined them looking like Rupees from the Zelda series. When they became dun, I always just imagined with as looking like clear glass, maybe a little murky? 

il_570xN.1173723472_kxm7.jpg

When the spheres were described as the size of one's thumbnail in Oathbringer, that came completely unexpected. It was probably mentioned before, and I forgot, but to be honest, I always pictured them as baseball-sized abominations of unwieldiness that forever clogged one's inventory. It's reassuring to know they are more convenient to carry, but I still imagine them differently.

61D9176A-24D3-45B9-9A8D-6DD7F82092B8.png.fed943669cdf2b41dcbb4a51ffbd47fb.pngI imagine them much like this, except the gems probably a bit smaller in each of the sizes. Also, when I first read about them, I imagined glass spheres themselves bigger than they actually are. Now I understand they are quite small, but it’s hard to not imagine them bigger.

Edited by Rebecca

8 minutes ago, Apollyon said:

When the spheres were described as the size of one's thumbnail in Oathbringer, that came completely unexpected. It was probably mentioned before, and I forgot, but to be honest, I always pictured them as baseball-sized abominations of unwieldiness that forever clogged one's inventory. It's reassuring to know they are more convenient to carry, but I still imagine them differently.

Wow, that small!?  I missed that detail during my read through!~ That's insane!  If you have a hole in your pocket, your screwed!

9 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

61D9176A-24D3-45B9-9A8D-6DD7F82092B8.png.fed943669cdf2b41dcbb4a51ffbd47fb.pngI imagine them much like this, except the gems probably a bit smaller in each of the sizes. Also, when I first read about them, I imagined glass spheres themselves bigger than they actually are. Now I understand they are quite small, but it’s hard to not imagine them bigger.

Thats really interesting!  Kinda like a Marble with a Rupee inside.

Just now, ElephantEarwax said:

I want one. They always seemed really pretty.

Same here.  I'd love to have several of them on my shelf, reflecting light around the room.  Sounds lovely!~

3 hours ago, RShara said:

They're definitely smaller than that :D

Yeah, I figured that out quick but I have a hard time remembering that they are so small. I just want to imagine them that way for some reason

I always imagined them as being almost disk-shaped, about half the size of someone's palm, with a metal band around the edge of the glass... I also imagined having a flattened face on each curve, so they don't roll away....

It's one of those weird mental images that doesn't go away for me no matter how often the descriptions tell me otherwise xD Like my brain always imagines Syll as being a greenish-blue, seafom green instead of blue, and that stormlight is white with golden edges, coloured almost the way a lightsaber is.

I was also picturing marbles but I've always imagined them as being a uniform neutral brown/beige colour with a gem set in one side (the same way a gem would be set into a ring). But I've also always imagined that the bigger the denomination the bigger the size of the whole sphere as well as a bigger gem. 

I prob should have added earlier when I showed the rupees picture that I do not believe those are very big either, maybe the width of your index and forefinger, and as long as wide as the base of your thumb, maybe wider.  But I def did not picture these to only be the size of a thumbnail.

Wow.  I get to provide the WOB to support RShara's post.  Definitely the first time that's happened... :D

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How big are the beads from Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...Bean-size, not as big as spheres.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Spheres are the size of your thumbnail, right?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Spheres are a little bigger than that. They're like a big marble. Not quite as big as a shooter.

source

Edited by Scion of the Mists