Coppermind Experience

Kidpen

I had a thought earlier. If people learn how to make unsealed metalminds, and compounding copper lets you make copies of the memory, then it means that you could make a ton of copperminds that all have an exciting/entertaining/whatever memory that you could sell to people. Wax's description of getting the memory made it sound like he almost lived the memory, so this would work pretty well I think. Can anyone thing of any cool applications of this?

Even if compounding copper doesn't duplicate memories, I envision families passing down treasured memories and even knowledge or practical experience to their loved ones if they are fortunate enough to be able to see that their time of death is near.

Being able to gift your grandchild with 60 years of welding experience might not seem like a flashy power, but it would have serious implications for culture and how society treats elders. I even envision the social elite using copper medallions to buy knowledge to get through difficult school programs or simply to master new skills on a whim.

24 minutes ago, hwiles said:

I even envision the social elite using copper medallions to buy knowledge to get through difficult school programs or simply to master new skills on a whim.

This reminds me of a story(not that I know which one). It was a future-tech era earth with cyborg enhancements, and there was something about plugging in datachips with languages on them. I mainly remember that detail b/c I was learning spanish in school at the time, and it's cool to see another way to do that.

29 minutes ago, hwiles said:

Being able to gift your grandchild with 60 years of welding experience might not seem like a flashy power, but it would have serious implications for culture and how society treats elders.

And then they could grant all of it to their grandchild, giving them 120 years of experience. If this catches on, Scadrial's tech progress could skyrocket in all manner of directions

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

If this catches on, Scadrial's tech progress could skyrocket in all manner of directions

Or stagnate as people become set in old ways and traditions are reinforced over and over again :D I'd call them equally likely at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a movie from the 80's starring Christopher Walken called Brainstorm where they do this exact thing. They are able to record complete experiences (including all sensation, vision and audio) and then another person can play them back and experience the recorded experience as if the recorded experience was happenning to them. The trouble comes when a scientist records his experiences while having a fatal heart attack in a misguided attempt to pull back the veil of death and so that a living person could experience what happens at the point of death. Needless to say, this was a bad idea.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
duh, right movie title

6 minutes ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

There's a movie from the 80's starring Christopher Walken called Brainscan where they do this exact thing. They are able to record complete experiences (including all sensation, vision and audio) and then another person can play them back and experience the recorded experience as if the recorded experience was happenning to them. The trouble comes when a scientist records his experiences while having a fatal heart attack in a misguided attempt to pull back the veil of death and so that a living person could experience what happens at the point of death. Needless to say, this was a bad idea.

*Brainstorm. It took me a bit to find it.

23 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

Brainstorm. It took me a bit to find it.

Yeah,  the funny thing about that is that it took me a while to find it too, and I still typed in Brainscan (which is what I initially remembered the name to be).

Brainscan BTW is a super schlocky movie, unless that's your cup of tea I'd stay away from it. The only reason that I watched it was because it was on a multi-dvd cheapo dvd that also had Wax Works (which is a good movie, but Wax Works 2 is a better movie)

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 2:12 AM, hwiles said:

I even envision the social elite using copper medallions to buy knowledge to get through difficult school programs or simply to master new skills on a whim.

Just what the Basin needs, more societal oppression and class discrimination. I can totally see this being a relevant point in The Lost Metal.

7 hours ago, Slimy_Slider said:

Just what the Basin needs, more societal oppression and class discrimination. I can totally see this being a relevant point in The Lost Metal.

I feel like the technology is too new to the north for exploitation and social stratification to reasonably be an apparent consequence within the presumably short time span between BoM and Lost Metal. That said, the politics of oppression sort of dominate the basin already. In my opinion, the whole plot screams with parallels to several real life civil wars which started with trade routing and taxation disputes before escalating into conflicts over social stratification and fundamental human rights questions. I think the basin is well-positioned for a rebellion against Elendel. I'll leave it to the Cosmere philosophers to decide whether that would be justified though.

2 hours ago, hwiles said:

I feel like the technology is too new to the north for exploitation and social stratification to reasonably be an apparent consequence within the presumably short time span between BoM and Lost Metal. That said, the politics of oppression sort of dominate the basin already. In my opinion, the whole plot screams with parallels to several real life civil wars which started with trade routing and taxation disputes before escalating into conflicts over social stratification and fundamental human rights questions. I think the basin is well-positioned for a rebellion against Elendel. I'll leave it to the Cosmere philosophers to decide whether that would be justified though.

It could totally be a thing in the south already, though.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:38 PM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

There's a movie from the 80's starring Christopher Walken called Brainstorm where they do this exact thing. They are able to record complete experiences (including all sensation, vision and audio) and then another person can play them back and experience the recorded experience as if the recorded experience was happenning to them. The trouble comes when a scientist records his experiences while having a fatal heart attack in a misguided attempt to pull back the veil of death and so that a living person could experience what happens at the point of death. Needless to say, this was a bad idea.

In what way was it a bad idea? Did a bunch of people just die experiencing death?

7 hours ago, hwiles said:

For the record, I believe we have a WoB that there are at least a couple years in between BoM and TLM.

34 minutes ago, Kidpen said:

For the record, I believe we have a WoB that there are at least a couple years in between BoM and TLM.

There are... But widespread use is going to take longer then that... Though it would still create the social divide talked about. 

Look at cell phones. They're everywhere now, but originally they were ridiculously expensive and were a sign of means. 

Medallions will probably be similar at first. 

Unless a full feruchemist pops up in the North or Hemalurgy becomes a thing, thereby accelerating the localised production of medallions. Not likely to happen anytime soon but still, I imagine the first Northern person who is able to make a medallion is going to become very wealthy, very quickly.

• Chaos locked this topic