The System of Justice

Gancho Libre

All posts beyond this line are considered in-world, and must be discolored if they are merely chat.

"Please rise. The Court of the Alleyverse, Third Circut, Criminal Division, is now in session, the Honorable Judge Mistspren presiding." intones the dull voice of the bailiff. 

I walk into the room, trying to project a stately air, and climb onto the podium, sitting down. "You may be seated." I proclaim.

"Your Honor, the case today is Libre v. Thorstenson." reads the bailiff, thick stack of papers held inches from his marbled red and black nose, despite his thick spectacles. The man was a Listener who preferred to remain in dullform at all times for spiritual reasons. Still, he did his job well, never having faltered in fifty years of service, and I was glad to work with him.

"Is the prosecution ready?" I ask, looking at Gancho Libre, waiting for him to confirm or deny. 

Edited by Mistspren

"Your honor," Gancho said. "I call for a punishment suited for the violation of the terms each Unbiased hold. Mac, who said he had no biases or preferences, has put one guild over another. The information of the Ghostbloods, which I'm sure you've seen, was given to @Kidpen . By who, you may ask? Someone we shouldn't have trusted. Yes, he was Unbiased, but MacThorstenson stole our information and gave it to another. He put another guild above us," Gancho concluded. "I will see justice served!" 

Thats a good idea, TFA. 

Edited by Gancho Libre

Addressing TFA's idea

12 minutes ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

I am not a fan of the judge system I think we should have a tribunal formed of representatives from the major guilds.

The issue would be that the Gbs couldn't fairly sit on that tribunal. I think the judge system, for this case at least, is faster, fairer, and wild yeild an unbiased result. The judge's credibility and authority stems from the fact that both parties agreed to his appointment. This should be a good trial with just a judge.

Edit: if anyone intends to call any witnesses, be sure to give them plenty of warning so they can be prepared. 

Edited by Archer

1 minute ago, Archer said:

The issue would be that the Gbs couldn't fairly sit on that tribunal. I think the judge system, for this case at least, is faster, fairer, and wild yeild an unbiased result. The judge's crackle and authority stems from the fact that both parties agreed to his appointment. This should be a good trial with just a judge.

The Ghostbloods would be balanced by Liebrary DA, TUBA, CoC, etc.

Your honor, my client pleads guilty on all charges. However, we would like to stipulate in the punishment that any future reincarnation of Thorsten should not be killed by the Ghostbloods without fair reason. They need to have a contract or Thorsten needs to act against them in order for a killing to be allowed. Other death must not be controlled by the Ghostbloods.

Since I misunderstood that Gancho was the lawyer for the GBs, I am renaming the case Ghostbloods v. Thorstenson, for greater accuracy.

“Thank you, Kidpen, Gancho Libre. Libre, you may call your first witness to the stand to be sworn in by the bailiff.”