SPOILERS for final Vin and Elend Mistborn novel! SPOILERS

AGAIN, SPOILERS TO BE SAFE. BELOW THIS POINT, THERE BE SPOILERS DO NOT READ BELOW THIS POINT IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE FIRST MISTBORN TRILOGY!

Do you think that we will see them again?  Sazed restored their bodies, and promised that they would return as soon as he knew how to, but I wonder when this might be?  In the modern world?  the space age one?  If they do come back, I hope they do not die again.  Has Brandon ever offered any hints or discussions about this, in person or anywhere online?

I’m pretty sure they won’t be back. Here is a WoB:

gandy93

Will we ever meet Elend and Vin again?

Brandon Sanderson

Elend and Vin have had their stories told.

And to be honest, bringing them back would weaken the awesome ending of HoA. We have enough resurrections as it is. 

In addition, Vin and Elend were stated to be happy with moving on, and finding peace.

I think Sazed meant not that he’ll bring back Elend and Vin, but that in the furture he could learn to bring souls back to their bodies.  However, now that he’s Harmony, I doubt he’ll do it at all.  Yes, he let Wax do it, but he didn’t do it for Wax.  Wax just had the Bands of Mouring.

I also agree that I really don’t want Elend and Vin to come back.  I love them so much and even though I was sad they died, it was a beautiful and perfect ending and I don’t want that taken away.  They need to stay dead otherwise their sacrifie wouldn’t mean as much.

I know it's supposed to make me sad, and it does fit the ending, but it's also just a little too sad for me.  Maybe it's because of the kind of life they were forced to live up to that point, that I really want to see them have another go at it.  They do not have to be central to another plot, but I want to see them meet, fall in love, have kids, grow old together.

It also raises another question with me:  What exactly is the afterlife like in the Cosmere?  Everyone ends up there, in a place wherever Vin and Elend are, or only good people?  and not just for Mistborn either, but the Cosmere on the whole.  Roshar seems to have a Hell like place of torment, Mistborn did not really go into it, and Neither did Warbreaker (what happens to a returned, if they die again? Where do they go?)

18 minutes ago, Quickbronze said:

We don't know anything. 

Have you read secret history? 

Nope.  What is it?  I have read his Cosmere works, but not his short stories or Arcanum unbound.

Edited by Illythyrra Dark

15 minutes ago, Quickbronze said:

We don't know anything. 

Have you read secret history? 

Spoiler

When they meet with Kelsier it is pretty much clear they are happy and want to move on and never come back. They have their happy ending.

8 minutes ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

Hope.  What is it?  I have read his Cosmere works, but not his short stories or Arcanum unbound.

Mistborn: Secret History. It is happening somewhat during original Mistborn trilogy. If you want to know more about what really happened and stuff behind stuff then definitely read it. Totally worth it and it is short. 

Edit: I am sorry for double post. The previous one could not be edited for some reason. Don’t read that spoiler. 

Edited by Yvainnie

4 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

Mistborn: Secret History. It is happening somewhat during original Mistborn trilogy. If you want to know more about what really happened and stuff behind stuff then definitely read it. Totally worth it and it is short. 

It's in the arcanum, or a stand alone?

4 minutes ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

Good to know.  The Arcanum just rose a few positions in my amazon wishlist.

You have to read it! Not just the stories but also and especially introduction and comentary made by Khriss (cosmere character). It contains tons of cosmere stuff and  Secret History too for that matter. 

19 minutes ago, Yvainnie said:

You have to read it! Not just the stories but also and especially introduction and comentary made by Khriss (cosmere character). It contains tons of cosmere stuff and  Secret History too for that matter. 

man, I hate being broke.  I won't be able to buy it until June 3rd.

14 minutes ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

man, I hate being broke.  I won't be able to buy it until June 3rd.

Well Secret History spoils some elements of Mistborn Era 2 so maybe I suggest you to read that before Sh

1 minute ago, Yata said:

Well Secret History spoils some elements of Mistborn Era 2 so maybe I suggest you to read that before Sh

Hi!  It's safe.  I have read all of the other cosmere works, excluding white sand and cosmere unbound, so I think I'm safe.  Thanks for the warning, though :)

2 hours ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

It also raises another question with me:  What exactly is the afterlife like in the Cosmere?  Everyone ends up there, in a place wherever Vin and Elend are, or only good people?  and not just for Mistborn either, but the Cosmere on the whole.  Roshar seems to have a Hell like place of torment, Mistborn did not really go into it, and Neither did Warbreaker (what happens to a returned, if they die again? Where do they go?)

There's a distinction made in the Cosmere between an 'afterlife' where your soul persists in the Cognitive Realm after your death and the Beyond where your soul inevitably goes if you aren't able to become a Cognitive Shadow. Think of the Beyond as the after-afterlife. The Heralds for example are Cognitive Shadows and the 'hell' they're experiencing isn't the same thing that your average Rosharan would experience upon death. Or for an easier example, people who die on Threondy and become Shades (a type of Cognitive Shadow) versus the people who die and go Beyond.

Brandon has said repeatedly that the Beyond is something even the Shards do not understand and can't access. He's left the subject open to discussion among readers and mentions that it's something that is the subject of debate in-universe among arcanists, philosophers and theologians. He's also said that any implications about Sazed connecting with Vin and Elend after their deaths in Hero of Ages and any WoBs to that effect were in error, or for some of the more obliquely worded ones, Secret History explains what he meant

Edited by Weltall

Kinda confused with that last part, please help?  Are you and Brandon suggesting that when he wrote sazed as saying he may be able to return Vin and Elends souls to their bodies, that it was an error and something he should not have had Sazed say because it's never going to happen?

Sorry if I am not getting it, I'm just having a slow moment it seems.  I appreciate the help and information!

13 minutes ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

Kinda confused with that last part, please help?  Are you and Brandon suggesting that when he wrote sazed as saying he may be able to return Vin and Elends souls to their bodies, that it was an error and something he should not have had Sazed say because it's never going to happen?

Sorry if I am not getting it, I'm just having a slow moment it seems.  I appreciate the help and information!

As far as I understand it was not error but Sazed just though that he would “get better with thing like that” or something like this. 

Anyway Secret History really does clarify this with certainity. 

Basically, Brandon had implied in older statements that, for example, Sazed might be able to talk to Tindwyl or TenSoon to Vin. His more recent statements tell us that this is not the case. Similarly, when Sazed tells Spook in his letter at the end of HoA that Vin and Elend are happy, he's talking about something we see in Secret History but he isn't able to actually know anything about the Beyond and he isn't able to speak to them any more.

Now, reuniting soul and body is something that Sazed can theoretically do, but not if the soul has already passed Beyond. Like I said, there's a quasi-afterlife where the souls of the recently deceased manifest in the Cognitive Realm before passing Beyond. Some souls can persist indefinitely as Cognitive Shadows but most are inevitably drawn Beyond.

Edited by Weltall

Just now, Weltall said:

Now, reuniting soul and body is something that Sazed can theoretically do, but not if the soul has already passed Beyond as Vin and Elend's have.

Spoiler for Secret history:

Spoiler

This probably should be spoiler too since it is from Secret History that they passed Beyond  

5 hours ago, Illythyrra Dark said:

We don't. people fade to beyond, and even shards do not know what happens to them. as far as we know, there could be nothing at all.

I'm just going to have to deal with it I guess.  I know people will tell me that I am wrong, and maybe I am, but I really really hate it when protags get killed in the final chapter of a story.  It's supposed to make people sad, and if it does, then the author has done their job well.  Perhaps it's because of my own real world anxiety and depression issues that I seem to feel it more than others do, not sure. 

It's true that not everything has to be sunshine and roses all the time, and I do not expect it to, but it bothers me anyway.  *Shrugs.:wacko:

Could also be that my first exposure was the Mistborn Trilogy and I see them all as "mine" or the Mascots of the Cosmere now, or some other reason.  Or maybe I am just stupidly overthinking it, another extremely bad habit of mine.

Thanks for all the replies in this topic though, everyone. :)