The Hall of the Surges

Leyrann

• 1 month later...

Okay, time to get into this (surely Voidus will forgive me this double-post-with-a-month-in-between, right? :P). 

So I haven't been following the RP very closely, but if I'm not mistaken, no one is acting first and foremost as member of the Hall of the Surges, but more like "I'm from this or that guild oh and I'm technically a Hall of the Surges member". On top of that, there's been some talk previously about potentially adding a progression system to the Hall of the Surges, where people start off at the First Ideal and have to progress through the Ideals eventually.

Because of this, I was considering separating the Hall of the Surges from the Alleyverse, and making it a separate entity where people can roleplay strictly Knights Radiant and advancing through the Ideals. Before doing something like that though, I want feedback from people whether they think it's a good idea or not, and any ideas on how to progress exactly might be a good idea too.

Additionally, it would be possible to simply tie the Ideals directly to people, rather than characters; this would also save the RPing people from having to manage an Alleyverse and a Hall of the Surges character.

Edit: This would, for the record, also mean the Squire system can be removed, as people would have separate powers in the Hall compared to elswhere.

I did have some ideas for the progress system myself but they're not very worked out yet, but I might as well throw them out here right now:

The first is to use a point-based system where points can be earned for various things. Upon receiving enough points you can say the next Ideal. This would probably end up making the guild less roleplay heavy.

The second is to create certain requirements directly related to roleplay, where you need to develop your character through roleplaying to 'earn' the next Ideal. This would be more realistic but also harder to define.

Edited by Leyrann

It could work, and I definitely want to bring more activity into the Hall. The only thing that is a problem for me is that the Hall is the only guild I'm in, so if we separate the Hall then I'll have to join another guild to be a part of the Alleyverse. I don't think that this is a problem for anyone else, though, hence the fact that we've not been having much activity, so itmay be something that needs to be done.

That's indeed the problem I have with this option as well. Then again, you can probably get accepted in any guild you wish to join. Openly or secretly.

I'll wait at least a few days before going through with any of this though, see if there's anyone else with this problem.

Copying my post from discord, as I believe many people aren't often online on discord (you really should be though! We can do much more with discord than we can with a single forum thread)

Considering no one is actively opposed to it, I will soon officially remove the Hall from the Alleyverse, meaning people's characters in the Hall are no longer linked to their roleplaying characters. Instead, I'll add a progression system where everyone starts at the First Ideal and can progress through the Ideals over time. I intend for this to be a long-term system where it can take more than a year to reach the final Ideal while active, but I am looking for ideas on how to do this system.

The first option is more roleplay heavy, where you are required to do certain things during roleplay in order to advance to the point where you can say the next ideal.
The second option is less roleplay heavy, instead it has a point-based system where you can earn points for various things, for example faction related tasks, and where higher ranking members might hand out points for things they like or because you did something for them (up to a cap). In this system, earning a certain amount of points will allow you to advance to the next ideal.

If you have any ideas regarding this, throw them into #hall-of-the-surges-discussion or some other place.

Additionally, everyone will get a chance to change to a new Order, but after that has been chosen people are expected to stick to it (pun intended). If the first, roleplay heavy system goes through, non-canon Orders will also be removed to make it easier to define requirements to advance.

Edit: Also, @Nerd3.14159265358979, how do you feel about joining TUBA to remain part of the Alleyverse? Or, alternatively, you can leave the Alleyverse. Not sure how active you are/want to be in the Alleyverse...

Edited by Leyrann

So, if I understand, it would be setting up a system for those that don't already have stormlight to gain their stormlight? I like it. It is a good way to do it instead of having an RP post something like "four months passed, and Ethil swore the first through the third ideal of the skybreakers." In that situation, I basically give myself powers, and this system would allow normal, not OP characters, like mine, Ethil, a Cadmium Compounder to gain more powers in a fair way. 

Do I understand correct that it would just be a system to progress in the surges, but not another new guild?

9 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Edit: Also, @Nerd3.14159265358979, how do you feel about joining TUBA to remain part of the Alleyverse? Or, alternatively, you can leave the Alleyverse. Not sure how active you are/want to be in the Alleyverse...

I think that would probably be great, excepting the fact that some people think I'm in the DA because I posted there once. Thanks for the recommendation!

• 2 years later...

Vis, Dustbringer. I don't yet have a character, but am working on fixing that. Not sure if I want to be a Knight of Honor or a Knight of the Void. Not sure if I'll ever pick. I've sworn the first Ideal (because that's the only one I know)

In about 3 months Im changing my display name back to Taani...

Check my signature for why it's currently Gneorndin. :)

@Leyrann You forgot to put the Dustbringer oaths.

Edited by Gneorndin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Voidus locked this topic