The Longest Thread (Misadventures)

But no one listened to him, as despite that amazing and diverse portfolio, he wasn't listed as the game beginner, but instead had been secretly hired by the potato in order to trick Truthless into starting early, which would automatically disqualify him.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Ookla The Narrator said:

;)

The wave of light hit. And Astral screamed out in pain. Filthy light streamed through her veins, burning her. She felt like she was being seared from the inside and fell to her knees, gasping, one arm wrapped around her waist. Though the wave passed quickly, it left the Queen of Shadows feeling raw and weak, as if her body had been scrubbed with sandpaper. To make matters worse, she felt terribly hungry, as though she hadn't eaten in days. Unable to support herself, she fell to the ground, body trembling slightly as she took small, pained gasps of breath. 
She rolled over onto her back, looking to the sky. That wave had proven that Xino had gotten the spear. The meant she had done her job. Xino was safe, for the time being. But she couldn't forget what the withergeists had whispered to her. 
She wasn't one of them. She was a majestic being, a Queen with a mission. A villain, a creature of darkness. Not a mindless, rabid minion. A thing of beauty and power. Unfortunately, it was rather hard to feel beautiful and powerful when one was lying on the ground, trying to breathe normally. To cope, she let her armor melt, turning into her signature black silken robe with silver trim. She could fight in this if she needed to. For now... she needed to rest for a minute. Even one as magnificent as she could be worn out by having such a vile substance forced through her. She was lucky to even be alive...

Sophie blinked awake. Her head was ringing - she'd hit it pretty hard when she fell to the ground - and her vision was a little blurry, but... It wasn't as dark anymore. Was she... dead? The last thing she remembered was seeing that withergeist sink its teeth into her shoulder, turning her skin grey. She'd failed, hadn't she? Hadn't she known that she wasn't good enough to be a hero? Her failure wouldn't just doom Xinoehp, it would doom the entire thread. And it would probably doom her siblings on CBST as well. But... she was dead. There was nothing she could do about it. Her vision began to clear, giving way to the grey sky. The ground was hard and rocky. She groaned looking at her hands. They were their normal shade of blue. That was good. 
Sophie sat up, looking around with big pupil-less eyes. It was then that she realized that she was still on the mountain. She... wasn't dead after all? She rubbed her eyes, trying to make sure she wasn't crazy. But it was all real. Xino stood tall, spear clutched in both hands. He looked so much more regal with it than she had. It truly belonged to him. He was a hero. Author above, she'd missed him. But... seeing him again made her realize how foolish her daydreams of kisses and true love had been. Even after walking through the storm of withergeists, she knew she would never be brave enough to kiss him the way she had fantasized. She blushed, looking at the ground. But... she had to say something. "Hi," she muttered, shooting him a sheepish smile. "Hi, Xinoehp." 

Xinoehp glanced at Sophie, a smile forming on his face. Then he stiffened. He spun around to face the dark figure that had just landed behind him.

Congratulations on escaping the trap, by the way, continued the figure. And my thanks. You just won me a hundred grand. He chuckled. Jvxqyz would have bet more, but I talked him out of it. He doesn't know you as well as I do- it just wouldn't be fair to take any more...

Psst! whispered Aqua, off to the side. Sophie! Over here! Her voice was panicked. Before he notices you!

1 minute ago, Ookla the Blue said:

Xinoehp glanced at Sophie, a smile forming on his face. Then he stiffened. He spun around to face the dark figure that had just landed behind him.

Congratulations on escaping the trap, by the way, continued the figure. And my thanks. You just won me a hundred grand. He chuckled. Jvxqyz would have bet more, but I talked him out of it. He doesn't know you as well as I do- it just wouldn't be fair to take any more...

Psst! whispered Aqua, off to the side. Sophie! Over here! Her voice was panicked. Before he notices you!

Sophie looked to Aqua, then back at Xino and the dark figure. Fear shot through her and she decided it would probably be best to follow the orb's advice. She scrambled to her feet (quietly as she could manage) and ran over to Aqua. "Who's that?" she whispered.

18 hours ago, Ookla The Narrator said:

Sophie looked to Aqua, then back at Xino and the dark figure. Fear shot through her and she decided it would probably be best to follow the orb's advice. She scrambled to her feet (quietly as she could manage) and ran over to Aqua. "Who's that?" she whispered.

The Witherlord, whispered Aqua. The one we were trying to beat.