The Longest Thread (Misadventures)

5 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

"Oooh. I love secret basements. Thank you." Platypus says, following.

Inside, he's thinking, "I hope this isn't a trap."

No One gives Platypus an affronted look, then pulls a sword off the wall and levels it at his neck.

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

Suddenly, the sword disappears. "Look, I'd love to do this, but I don't have a lot of time and also, you're not allowed to read my thoughts." Platypus says as he puts up a barrier around his thoughts. "I forgot I had that down though, that could have been bad. Thank you for that at least."

19 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

No One shook his head in disappointment and the sword reappeared in his hand. He held it towards Platypus with an expression that said "look more closely at this blade. Notice anything familiar?"

"Oh. Next time, maybe don't point it at my neck. Just a suggestion. Anyway... Wait, what?" Platypus does a double take. "Is that... another one?" Platypus summons his copy of the blade to compare it to.

5 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

"Oh. Next time, maybe don't point it at my neck. Just a suggestion. Anyway... Wait, what?" Platypus does a double take. "Is that... another one?" Platypus summons his copy of the blade to compare it to.

The two blades are markedly different, although a certain similarity is apparent in their design. No One offers the blade to Platypus, holding up a finger in a shushing motion.

Platypus proceeds to have a look conversation with No One because they need to be quiet. Platypus' look says, "I don't know if I should be trusted with another sword of Plot, but sure, I'll take it." Or it might have said, "I like cheese." Nobody besides No One and Platypus knew which, as they are experts at looks. Platypus extended his arm and takes hold of the sword, but it shocks him and he is forced to let go. He lets his current sword fade and then grabs the other sword. This time it allows him to take it. Platypus shoots a look that says, "Did you see that? I can't wield more than one at a time."

No One winces, and Platypus feels an agonizing pain shoot through the fabric of his being, worse than any he'd ever felt. "That sword does not allow its wielder to speak. It is the burden of carrying this version of Plot's sword."

Platypus drops the blade, and it fades away like his other version. Platypus gives him "The look."TM Platypus' look obviously means, "Well, I guess this is for the best. Now you're able to explain. Can you write while wielding it?" Luckily No One has spent a lot of time sending looks, and thus can interpret the look.

15 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Platypus drops the blade, and it fades away like his other version. Platypus gives him "The look."TM Platypus' look obviously means, "Well, I guess this is for the best. Now you're able to explain. Can you write while wielding it?" Luckily No One has spent a lot of time sending looks, and thus can interpret the look.

"I cannot. Now, listen closely. When Plot was slain, his power entered into his blade. However, without Plot himself to control it, the power was too great to be contained in any single sword. And so, it split. I don't know how many versions of Plot's sword are out there, but I know this: if anyone where to master the power of every blade, they would be able to wield unimaginable power." No One's face grew dark at the thought. "Fortunately, my research indicates that it is nigh-impossible to master the power of multiple blades of Plot. Even one blade is difficult for those not properly aligned with their blade's power. Case in point, you and Vengeance. That blade should be among the most powerful, but you have not even begun to unlock its true potential."

1 minute ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"I cannot. Now, listen closely. When Plot was slain, his power entered into his blade. However, without Plot himself to control it, the power was too great to be contained in any single sword. And so, it split. I don't know how many versions of Plot's sword are out there, but I know this: if anyone where to master the power of every blade, they would be able to wield unimaginable power." No One's face grew dark at the thought. "Fortunately, my research indicates that it is nigh-impossible to master the power of multiple blades of Plot. Even one blade is difficult for those not properly aligned with their blade's power. Case in point, you and Vengeance. That blade should be among the most powerful, but you have not even begun to unlock its true potential."

Platypus lets down his mental shield and allows No One to read his thoughts.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone other than Plot himself to gain control over all the blades. I myself find it hard to control even just these two, though that might change, were I my alter ego (which is entirely based on vengeance) and not myself. And I could use it more effectively for sure. I tend to try not to use it to preserve myself. The more powerful the blade, the more it turns you to use it. I cannot become a youngling once more. I walked the path Vengeance wants me to take for too long to do so now. We need to keep in touch. I will begin to focus on mastering the blades and update you periodically. You need to make sure to give me updates if you discover anything new, or if you discover another Blade of Plot. I think the count is three four so far. The two I have, the one the being Rym is tracking has, and the one Subversion had/has. I know she appeared with one shortly after Valiant's death. Okay?

18 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Platypus lets down his mental shield and allows No One to read his thoughts.

I don't think it would be possible for anyone other than Plot himself to gain control over all the blades. I myself find it hard to control even just these two, though that might change, were I my alter ego (which is entirely based on vengeance) and not myself. And I could use it more effectively for sure. I tend to try not to use it to preserve myself. The more powerful the blade, the more it turns you to use it. I cannot become a youngling once more. I walked the path Vengeance wants me to take for too long to do so now. We need to keep in touch. I will begin to focus on mastering the blades and update you periodically. You need to make sure to give me updates if you discover anything new, or if you discover another Blade of Plot. I think the count is three four so far. The two I have, the one the being Rym is tracking has, and the one Subversion had/has. I know she appeared with one shortly after Valiant's death. Okay?

No One raised an eyebrow. "A solid plan. Although Subversion gave her Blade to the creature that Rym is fighting. She specifically molded that creature to be a perfect match for the Blade, I believe. The fourth Blade that I was speaking of is in the hands of one who has sworn not to use it. As for my Blade, I am afraid to say that I will not part with it. You would find it more burden than aid." As No One spoke, Platypus felt a new mental shield begin to form around his thoughts, one more powerful than he'd had before. "It prevents almost all forms of communication, as payment for the ability that it holds. Analysis, it is called. With it, I can see the powers, weaknesses, skills, and even thoughts of everyone around me. It is quite useful, although it took years of training to master." He held his hand to the side, and his own Blade appeared in it, Platypus's connection severed in an instant. He gave Platypus a look that said "You do not wish to spend years almost entirely unable to communicate. Analysis is my burden to bear." and placed the sword back on the wall.

11 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

No One raised an eyebrow. "A solid plan. Although Subversion gave her Blade to the creature that Rym is fighting. She specifically molded that creature to be a perfect match for the Blade, I believe. The fourth Blade that I was speaking of is in the hands of one who has sworn not to use it. As for my Blade, I am afraid to say that I will not part with it. You would find it more burden than aid." As No One spoke, Platypus felt a new mental shield begin to form around his thoughts, one more powerful than he'd had before. "It prevents almost all forms of communication, as payment for the ability that it holds. Analysis, it is called. With it, I can see the powers, weaknesses, skills, and even thoughts of everyone around me. It is quite useful, although it took years of training to master." He held his hand to the side, and his own Blade appeared in it, Platypus's connection severed in an instant. He gave Platypus a look that said "You do not wish to spend years almost entirely unable to communicate. Analysis is my burden to bear." and placed the sword back on the wall.

Platypus winces as his connection is severed, then recovers. "I did not want to be unable to communicate. I simply thought to give you a break from it. I have no illusions as to who is the master of this Blade." He says calmly. "Do you know who has sworn not to use it? You need not tell me, I would just like to know if you know who has it."

34 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Platypus winces as his connection is severed, then recovers. "I did not want to be unable to communicate. I simply thought to give you a break from it. I have no illusions as to who is the master of this Blade." He says calmly. "Do you know who has sworn not to use it? You need not tell me, I would just like to know if you know who has it."

No one gave Platypus a look that indicated that he did know that person's identity.

The creature stepped back from Rym, face showing surprise as its shattered Blade reformed. 

@The Bookwyrm

So… I just read the first few parts (spiked hamsters) and then I read the last page. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… interesting. You somehow managed to get from hamsters to “No One” leveling a sword at “Platypus” who makes the sword disappear? Nice.

12 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

So… I just read the first few parts (spiked hamsters) and then I read the last page. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… interesting. You somehow managed to get from hamsters to “No One” leveling a sword at “Platypus” who makes the sword disappear? Nice.

Yeah... I have no idea what's going on either.

14 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

You have absolutely no idea what has happened in 2000+ pages.

Entire plotlines have risen and fallen.

I've only been here since page 1760 and it's still drastically different.

16 hours ago, TheAlpha929 said:

4 hours ago, solarcat93 said:

Yeah... I have no idea what's going on either.

2 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Indeed! I appeared around page ~1500-1520 and the thread has evolved much since then. Plotlines do indeed rise and fall, but plotless madness seems to reign supreme most of the time. For example:

A child known as Gertrude decided she was going to own the world. So she did. The end.

3 hours ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Is it worth it to read all of these pages so I can get caught up?