The Longest Thread (Misadventures)

16 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"Fight it? You can't fight it. Look what it did here. It beat a sand master. Took everyone in my town."

Sand master? Rym thought. Is this Taldain? Or a version of it...?

"There's more to me than meets the eye," Rym reassured the worried man. "Can you direct me to where the monster went?"

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Sand master? Rym thought. Is this Taldain? Or a version of it...?

"There's more to me than meets the eye," Rym reassured the worried man. "Can you direct me to where the monster went?"

The man shook his head. “I didn’t see. I fled when it took the Sandmaster, and was buried before it left.”

5 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

The man shook his head. “I didn’t see. I fled when it took the Sandmaster, and was buried before it left.”

"I see..."

Rym gazed across the sandy horizon around him. He called upon another tiny bit of Narration power...

Ahem...

Rym figured out where the monster had gone; it had taken the Sand Master to the south.

Rym pulled a pack of supplies and equipment out of the air and handed them to the man.

"Use these," Rym said. "There should be far more than enough for you and any survivors you find. Stay safe. I'm going to go find this monster."

Then he set off.

11 hours ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"See? I can be fun. This is fun plot."

"I suppose you can be fun. It's not common though. Out of curiosity, how did the illusion around Valiant actually work? I've been wondering, because your Narration should have been equal, shouldn't it? But it seemed like he couldn't escape it."

Edited by Being of Cacophony

"I see..."

Rym gazed across the sandy horizon around him. He called upon another tiny bit of Narration power...

Ahem...

Rym figured out where the monster had gone; it had taken the Sand Master to the south.

Rym pulled a pack of supplies and equipment out of the air and handed them to the man.

"Use these," Rym said. "There should be far more than enough for you and any survivors you find. Stay safe. I'm going to go find this monster."

Then he set off.

The man stared after him, shivering at the thought of that face-shifting monstrosity, and desperately hoped he never saw the thing again.

After another day or so of travel, Rym came across another destroyed town, seemingly as empty as the first.

Subversion smiled mysteriously. “Illusions are my specialty. And Valiant never was the best at Narration.”

@Being of Cacophony

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

2 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Subversion smiled mysteriously. “Illusions are my specialty. And Valiant never was the best at Narration.”

Platypus scowled. "And this is why I don't like you. Not a straight answer. He still could have punctured the illusion at some point instead of fighting us. Unless... Did you also affect what he saw and heard? I've forgotten at this point, that was a lot of pages ago."

6 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Platypus scowled. "And this is why I don't like you. Not a straight answer. He still could have punctured the illusion at some point instead of fighting us. Unless... Did you also affect what he saw and heard? I've forgotten at this point, that was a lot of pages ago."

Subversion nodded. “Yes. I was able to manipulate him somewhat, although it wasn’t permanent. He’d almost broken through when you killed him.”

11 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Subversion nodded. “Yes. I was able to manipulate him somewhat, although it wasn’t permanent. He’d almost broken through when you killed him.”

"I see. Did you control him or was it more like you made it look like we were all saying Valiant when we said Subversion?"

Rym scanned the town again, wondering if there was another survivor, or if the perpetrator was still there.

A terrified scream echoed from the other side of the town, cutting off abruptly.

1 hour ago, Being of Cacophony said:

"I see. Did you control him or was it more like you made it look like we were all saying Valiant when we said Subversion?"

“I Influenced him, prevented his mind from realizing exactly what was happening.”

6 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

“I Influenced him, prevented his mind from realizing exactly what was happening.”

"I'd say "I see" again, but I really don't. It's fine though. Anyway, am I allowed to fight someone else at any point? You seem to be opinionated about him. We also ought to get No One to talk about what happened."

18 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

"I'd say "I see" again, but I really don't. It's fine though. Anyway, am I allowed to fight someone else at any point? You seem to be opinionated about him. We also ought to get No One to talk about what happened."

Subversion shrugged. “You can if you want, but I’d let Rym try him first. Overwhelming power doesn’t mix well with an evil monster plot. Thaidakar or Nameless, for example, wouldn’t do well at all in my plot.”

5 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Rym ran towards the source of the scream, drawing his Mordite sword as he did so.

Rym saw a small group of soldiers fleeing down a street, pursued by an indistinct humanoid figure wielding a blade stained with ash.

Spook sat on his throne on his new center of power. His empire was expanding quite nicely... He was rather partial to desert planets, so he'd chosen Arrakis as the chief planet. Arakkeen was his capital... it had grown enormously since he'd come and occupied it. He had control over most of the Fremen by now. Spook's Minister of Defense stood was currently talking with the Minister of Food. Apparently some of Spook's troops on Varax weren't doing well and needed some food... Thaidakar appeared with a burst of sparks next to the throne. Spook cursed, "what the... why are you here?"

The Minister of Defense looked up, barely fazed. "Oh, should we leave now?"

"Sure." said Spook, rolling his eyes. As they left, he turned to Thaidakar, "why are you here?"

Thaidakar smiled, "I think you're taking to it well. I'll grant you more narration powers soon."

52 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Subversion shrugged. “You can if you want, but I’d let Rym try him first. Overwhelming power doesn’t mix well with an evil monster plot. Thaidakar or Nameless, for example, wouldn’t do well at all in my plot.”

"Oh, I definitely don't want to do it unless Rym fails. If he does, I'll go kill someone else, take his copy of the sword, and merge them back together. But I digress. Now I need to get No One to talk."

39 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

"Oh, I definitely don't want to do it unless Rym fails. If he does, I'll go kill someone else, take his copy of the sword, and merge them back together. But I digress. Now I need to get No One to talk."

No One, it should be noted, did not like talking.

1 hour ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Some thought that it was because he was bad at it, but really, it was because he got an unpleasant tingling sensation in his toes for every syllable he said.

That, and it ruined the mystique. So when Platypus came to him for answers, No One simply gave him a look that very clearly said "I'm wiser than you in every way imaginable. Compared to mine, your knowledge is less than that of a flea."

Rym ran at the strange figure and swung his sword in a precise slash at it's torso.

The figure blocked the Mordite blade with its own, sword of Plot shattering like glass at the impact.

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

On 2/2/2023 at 6:10 PM, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

That, and it ruined the mystique. So when Platypus came to him for answers, No One simply gave him a look that very clearly said "I'm wiser than you in every way imaginable. Compared to mine, your knowledge is less than that of a flea."

Platypus gave him a look back that said, "Maybe, but I can Narrate you into giving me all your knowledge. Don't get too cocky yet bubs." Then he said, "Can you at least tell me how and why Plot's sword split and/or which is the original (if there is one).

44 minutes ago, Being of Cacophony said:

Platypus gave him a look back that said, "Maybe, but I can Narrate you into giving me all your knowledge. Don't get too cocky yet bubs." Then he said, "Can you at least tell me how and why Plot's sword split and/or which is the original (if there is one).

No One didn't react at first, eyes examining the depths of the Narrator's soul. Finally, he turned, gesturing for Platypus to follow as he opened a secret passage in his home and walked down into a basement.