The Longest Thread (Misadventures)

The Knight paced through a hallway of white stone. His footsteps made no sound, like always. The hallway was empty, as always. The other consultants knew well enough to leave him alone while he was thinking. He needed peace and quiet in order to get anything done, after all.

Nameless wasn't cooperating. That was a problem. The consultants had never been closer to defeating the Witherlord as they were now, in this moment. All they needed now was a sword of sufficient destructive power to unmake him for good, and here Nameless had gone and made one right on their doorstep. Of course, the Witherlord was only the beginning; there were a number of other people that the Knight longed to enact vengeance upon. The converter could be just the edge he needed to carry it out.

But none of that would be possible if Nameless continued to refuse to surrender the device. There had to be a way to convince him, surely. The Knight paused, pulling up Nameless's profile from the database and flicking through it, looking for any hint as to how the stubborn Narrator could be persuaded. He reached a reference to Professor Jones - and paused.

He knows Grace? he thought. Intrigued, he clicked on her picture to learn more about how exactly they had interacted.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Meanwhile, Nameless was doing mental arithmetic to attempt to figure out how much debt he would have to be in to obtain 300 quadrillion megatons of hypercompressed strontium.

"We more need the feruchemical power than the metal, just get us a drop of that and we will be fine."

to clarify, just get them a small piece of strontium containing unkeyed feruchemical concentration.

21 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

"We more need the feruchemical power than the metal, just get us a drop of that and we will be fine."

"You see, the problem is the amount of feruchemical power required. At least for narrators, the type of concentration needed to use your power is tied to your powers themselves. You can increase it, but only so much. And storing that type of concentration basically permanently removes it." He brightened. "I could hemalurgically spike Thaidakar for his concentration! That's a perfect solution! Now, where did I put that Atium?"

26 minutes ago, Nameless said:

"You see, the problem is the amount of feruchemical power required. At least for narrators, the type of concentration needed to use your power is tied to your powers themselves. You can increase it, but only so much. And storing that type of concentration basically permanently removes it." He brightened. "I could hemalurgically spike Thaidakar for his concentration! That's a perfect solution! Now, where did I put that Atium?"

"Just get it from an NPC. Also, any concentration would do, we can convert it to what we need."

14 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

"Just get it from an NPC. Also, any concentration would do, we can convert it to what we need."

"NPC's are not narrators. You think I can make one of those? And if you can use any concentration, just make it out of thin air."

Edited by Nameless

6 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

The Spectra shook its head. "Can you get us some Determination, at least? That's one of the base metals in Feruchemy."

"Yeah, I can get you some of that." Nameless snapped his fingers, summoning a metalmind filled with determination. "What do you want this for?"

17 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

The Knight paced through a hallway of white stone. His footsteps made no sound, like always. The hallway was empty, as always. The other consultants knew well enough to leave him alone while he was thinking. He needed peace and quiet in order to get anything done, after all.

Nameless wasn't cooperating. That was a problem. The consultants had never been closer to defeating the Witherlord as they were now, in this moment. All they needed now was a sword of sufficient destructive power to unmake him for good, and here Nameless had gone and made one right on their doorstep. Of course, the Witherlord was only the beginning; there were a number of other people that the Knight longed to enact vengeance upon. The converter could be just the edge he needed to carry it out.

But none of that would be possible if Nameless continued to refuse to surrender the device. There had to be a way to convince him, surely. The Knight paused, pulling up Nameless's profile from the database and flicking through it, looking for any hint as to how the stubborn Narrator could be persuaded. He reached a reference to Professor Jones - and paused.

He knows Grace? he thought. Intrigued, he clicked on her picture to learn more about how exactly they had interacted.

As the Knight read, his eyebrows lifted. Grace had helped Nameless fight? Against the Witherlord? Perhaps she's had a change of heart, he mused. In any case, it would seem that Nameless trusted her- he'd gone to her when he needed help. If he could get her on board, perhaps she could convince Nameless to hand over the converter.

He scrolled up to the top of Grace's character sheet, where her current location was recorded. The University of Universes. Curious, he tapped the link and teleported away.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

"Yeah, I can get you some of that." Nameless snapped his fingers, summoning a metalmind filled with determination. "What do you want this for?"

"It's close enough to concentration that we should be able to convert it. Thank you, and goodbye." The Skeins vanished, leaving Nameless in the consultant's realm.

X told Nameless he sh0^1) #$#@& )0^^WIELD THE SWORD.^ r#p#@t

The survey rebooted.

19 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

As the Knight read, his eyebrows lifted. Grace had helped Nameless fight? Against the Witherlord? Perhaps she's had a change of heart, he mused. In any case, it would seem that Nameless trusted her- he'd gone to her when he needed help. If he could get her on board, perhaps she could convince Nameless to hand over the converter.

He scrolled up to the top of Grace's character sheet, where her current location was recorded. The University of Universes. Curious, he tapped the link and teleported away.

The Knight knocked on the classroom door and entered. "Hello? Grace?"

Professor Jones tightened her grip on her pencil.

"It's been a long time, hasn't it?" said the Knight. "Good to... uh... see you."

The room fell silent.

"There's been a development," the Knight continued, recovering some of his composure. "We've found a source of ordered-light energy. A cluster of elementals. You had a theory about that once, didn't you? Anyways, they can use it to make a binding that should work on the Witherlord, once the kinks are worked out." He paused, but Professor Jones did not respond. "Uh... I'm sure I don't have to tell you what that means. We just need a weapon that can kill him now. And we have one, sort of, but the, uh, the owner is not really cooperating. Nameless? I think you know him?" Still no response. "What I'm saying is, it would be helpful if you could, say, put in a word to convince him."

He waited for Professor Jones to respond, but none such was forthcoming.

"Grace-?" he began, but was interrupted by a loud crack. Professor Jones flicked the pieces of broken pencil into the trash can. "Don't call me that," she replied. "We are not friends. Not anymore."

25 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

A pulse ran through the world, and a human appeared in the room with the Knight and Professor Jones. He was holding a staff, wearing unassuming traveling clothes, and had a small bag slung over his sholder.

Grace jerked her head up, eyes narrowing. "Who goes there?"

19 hours ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

"Chance, I think. This is not where I just was, and I had no intention of coming here." He continued to grip the hilt of his sword warily.

"Where were you before? What brought you here?"

9 hours ago, Nameless said:

Nameless decided that he should hand out some more party invitations.

An invitation found its way into the talons of the Darkbeast.

Edited by xinoehp512