I love Brandon's work - and, right now, he's probably my favourite because everything licks along at such a pace and I just love the sprawling epicness of the Cosmere.

Best? I suppose it depends how that's defined. I have a Literature degree so I've covered a fair span of what would be considered classically 'best' some of which I loved (Jane Austin, Shakespeare) some of which I thought was massively overhyped (Charles Dickens). But Jane Austin, Shakespeare and Brandon Sanderson are so vastly different in style, scope, intention - it's virtually impossible to compare them really. 

Controversially for this thread, I LOVE JK Rowling - and, like Sanderson, her books represent comfort and pure escapism for me with many, many re-readings in my life. Margaret Atwood is another writer I adore and whose work (well, novels - I'm not so hung up on poetry as a genre generally) I try to keep up with (although I have lapsed in recent years). But, her books don't lend themselves to frequent re-reads or a sense of escapism.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, podman36 said:

All this to say that I think you sometimes need to know a person more personally than internet articles and interviews to decide if someone’s a “horrible person” or not.

I could not have said this better than this quote right here. I loved Ender's Game. It was my favorite novel when I was in High School. Right before I started reading the rest of the series I had other opinions of him being thrust on me by people who felt personally attacked by the some of Card's beliefs. I have mad respect for the man and his writing ability. After reading the Shadow series I realized how important family is to him. I think he takes a lot of pride in his family.

15 hours ago, ljósmóður said:

I love Brandon's work - and, right now, he's probably my favourite because everything licks along at such a pace and I just love the sprawling epicness of the Cosmere.

Best? I suppose it depends how that's defined. I have a Literature degree so I've covered a fair span of what would be considered classically 'best' some of which I loved (Jane Austin, Shakespeare) some of which I thought was massively overhyped (Charles Dickens). But Jane Austin, Shakespeare and Brandon Sanderson are so vastly different in style, scope, intention - it's virtually impossible to compare them really. 

Controversially for this thread, I LOVE JK Rowling - and, like Sanderson, her books represent comfort and pure escapism for me with many, many re-readings in my life. Margaret Atwood is another writer I adore and whose work (well, novels - I'm not so hung up on poetry as a genre generally) I try to keep up with (although I have lapsed in recent years). But, her books don't lend themselves to frequent re-reads or a sense of escapism.

Harry Potter was the first fantasy series I ever got into. I also adore J.K. Rowling. And I get super excited when any of my students start reading it because then I can revisit the world through their eyes and I end up loving it all over again. XD

(I don't remember the names of their author's) but the books The Poison Wood Bible, and Flora, are really good examples of what I'm talking about, The Poison Wood Bible for deep/poetic thoughts, and Flora for crying when I have absolutely no reason why.

Looking through this, I think most of us agree Brandon Sanderson is the best (We wouldn't be on this site if that weren't the case) but in my mind, a million authors rank close to second because there are a lot of great books.

I'll probably go with Michael Crighton as second just because nobody's said him yet.

On 30/04/2018 at 6:06 PM, Weedolfin said:

(I don't remember the names of their author's) but the books The Poison Wood Bible, and Flora, are really good examples of what I'm talking about, The Poison Wood Bible for deep/poetic thoughts, and Flora for crying when I have absolutely no reason why.

I don't know about Flora but isn't The Poison Wood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? I've read a couple of hers and, I agree, her prose style is beautiful and poetic.

Edited by ljósmóður
spelling error

4 hours ago, ljósmóður said:

I don't know about Flora but isn't The Poison Wood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? I've read a couple of hers and, I agree, her prose style is beautiful and poetic.

Ya your right, thx

• Chaos locked this topic